Where would Ovechkin go in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
The RSL is a low-scoring league. Especially Dynamo is a defensive team. Kovachuk even said he would never fit into the Dynamo system because it would be too defensive for him. Also consider the impact Kovalchuk is having in the NHL and the fact that he never made it into the Superleage. Ovechkin made it at 16. Also consider the fact that Ovechkin got more points at the Juniors than Kovy did and the fact that Ovechkin broke Pavel Bure's record for under-12 scoring and he also broke Maltsev's record. Sid is playing against children. If he dominates so much why doesn't he move up to the next level? You aren't supposed to just sit at the same level of competition. Ovechkin didn't. He moved up to the second best league in the world. Where is Sid? Still playing against children with special treatment from all of Canada and the refs and the players.
ah ok, makes some sense now. didn't know dynamo was a defensive minded team.

avangard is the big offensive team in the rsl right

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Hemmer said:
Crosby has broken records too, as mentioned by others in this thread. Records that were set by better players than Bure too.

Umm...because there are rules and laws in place that prevent 16 year olds from playing in the AHL or NHL?

Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't an offensively talented player be playing in a league/system/team that allows him to showcase his talents and develop offensively? Sure, he is becoming a more complete player...but a 4% increase in statistical scoring is kind of pathetic if you ask me...regardless of how complete this guy is becoming. If the RSL is really as "defensive" as you say, by the time the draft rolls around, Ovechkin will be a third-line checker :rolly:

Not in the RSL. Go look at point totals for players in the league and their ages. The only honest way to compare the two would be if they played in the same league. I think Crosby would have trouble playing in the RSL. I don't think Ovechkin would have trouble in the CHL. However, Crosby would still probably out score Ovechkin in the CHL.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
But the NHL is more like the Superleague than the CHL. Avangard is the most offensive team in the Superleague. Guess what the playoff matchup going on right now is? Avangard vs Dynamo. Dynamo=defense, Avangard=offense. Ovechkin > Crosby. Sid may have a whole bunch of dekes and dipsies all worked out by the time he gets to the NHL but he won't have the first idea how to take cheapshots and crushing body checks. Sid will have a HUGE adjustment to make. Ovechkin on the other hand will only have to get used to the smaller ice surface. He already knows how to handle everything else. He has no holes in his game whatsoever. Ovechkin>Crosby.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
These are bits from the recap of a playoff game Ovechkin played just today:
Feeling so strong support of spectators, "hawks" at once have decided to frighten dinamovtsev. Ovechkina in a corner of a platform hardly was have not smeared on a board, roughly having pushed it in a back. The whistle of the arbitrator thus was silent. However muscovites did not become flustered.

Ah, what all the same this unique person Ovechkin! Anybody from dinamovtsev did not risk to incur game how Sasha. In the beginning of the second period it has wound hardly probable not a three omichej, but owners from a true goal were rescued by the Sokolov.

Sushinsky in the central circle has struck on hands of most active of muscovites. Fortunately for white-blue, Ovechkin a trauma has not received, and has played even more aggressively.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
These are bits from the recap of a playoff game Ovechkin played just today:
Feeling so strong support of spectators, "hawks" at once have decided to frighten dinamovtsev. Ovechkina in a corner of a platform hardly was have not smeared on a board, roughly having pushed it in a back. The whistle of the arbitrator thus was silent. However muscovites did not become flustered.

Ah, what all the same this unique person Ovechkin! Anybody from dinamovtsev did not risk to incur game how Sasha. In the beginning of the second period it has wound hardly probable not a three omichej, but owners from a true goal were rescued by the Sokolov.

Sushinsky in the central circle has struck on hands of most active of muscovites. Fortunately for white-blue, Ovechkin a trauma has not received, and has played even more aggressively.

Foppa, finally a decent post! :yo:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Foppa_Rules said:
Thankyou for not being biased in saying Ovechkin is the best of the four today, but I disagree about Crosby going first overall in either the 2004 or the 2005 Draft.

This isn't even close IMO, Crosby by miles and miles. I have seen both play live and Crosby is by far the player who makes an impact more in a game. IMO Crosby is in a league by himself and Crosbys two way game is very underrated because everyone consentrates on his offensive numbers. Ovechkin is a world class talent and I don't want to make it sound like I am not a fan of his, but IMO Crosbys skills are above Ovechkins.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
DeakinMeehan16 said:
Gretzky praised Dan Clearys skills and look what happened. I think Crosby will do the same as Daigle did put up 60pts and then become a bust.

A) Daigle never wanted to play hockey and lost all passion for the game, he said on TV he was pushed into it by his father. Daigle had some of the best skills in the world for his age, but if you don't want to play the game then you won't last no matter how good you really are.

B) Daigle this year is really playing awsome for Minnesota, he said he feels like playing hockey again and it is really showing this year.

C) Crosby has passion for the game that not too many have, he never wants to leave the ice and is always working on getting better.

I like how people make the assumption that Cleary, Friesen and Daigle had these tags and on them and never panned out like once thought so the same must be given to Sidney Crosby...just shows total lack of knowledge IMO.

KariyaIsGod*

Foppa_Rules said:
But the NHL is more like the Superleague than the CHL. Avangard is the most offensive team in the Superleague. Guess what the playoff matchup going on right now is? Avangard vs Dynamo. Dynamo=defense, Avangard=offense. Ovechkin > Crosby. Sid may have a whole bunch of dekes and dipsies all worked out by the time he gets to the NHL but he won't have the first idea how to take cheapshots and crushing body checks. Sid will have a HUGE adjustment to make. Ovechkin on the other hand will only have to get used to the smaller ice surface. He already knows how to handle everything else. He has no holes in his game whatsoever. Ovechkin>Crosby.

Crosby will have no problem with the checks, trust me.

If you consider not having the "ability" to deliver cheap shots a hole in Crosby's game, then you have no business talking about hockey. Taking cheap shots? Nobody can prepare for that, but Crosby will take them as good as anybody.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Wow.

I don't give a damn who's better.

I just think we should enjoy that there are two world class talents comming in the next two years of the draft.

Let the best man win..

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
You say Crosby has passion? Read this.

http://www.torontosun.com/Slam040102/col_koshan-sun.html

I'm not sure but I don't believe I've read much about Crosby's passion for the game. Though, I'm sure Crosby has a lot of passion for the game. Just look at these:

http://www.robsteve.com/SidneyCrosb...eyCrosby-08.htm

http://www.robsteve.com/SidneyCrosb...eyCrosby-10.htm

Just picture a really high-pitched scream to go along with those. :) ;)

Good post/link on Ovechkin, followed by trash. Makes me think Ovechkin has class and would probably follow Forsbergs lead and disown you as a fan. :shakehead

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
Forsberg doesn't disown fans. Maybe Crosby does. Maybe that's where you got that idea from. He must disown anybody who doesn't praise him enough and call him "Golden Boy".

Very good. That made me laugh.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Seachd said:
I'd personally take highest upside over NHL readiness. For me, that's Crosby.

unfortunately the teams that have a bad enough record to be able to draft 1st overall don't have the luxery of time on their hands. it's not always the case, but often the bottom teams will heavily factor in NHL-readiness (e.g. Nash being picked ahead of Lehtonen, Bouwmeester, and Pitkanen... all of whom had higher projected upside than Nash (although in hindsight it looks like he might be the best of the bunch)).

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
LaVal575 said:
unfortunately the teams that have a bad enough record to be able to draft 1st overall don't have the luxery of time on their hands. it's not always the case, but often the bottom teams will heavily factor in NHL-readiness (e.g. Nash being picked ahead of Lehtonen, Bouwmeester, and Pitkanen... all of whom had higher projected upside than Nash (although in hindsight it looks like he might be the best of the bunch)).

Sid is not marginally up on the '05 draft, If you think he won't be "NHL ready" in a year and a half...

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Crosbyfan said:
Sid is not marginally up on the '05 draft, If you think he won't be "NHL ready" in a year and a half...

my argument had nothing to do when Crosby will be NHL ready so i don't know why you bothered quoting me with that. i simply stated that NHL readiness is a factor which is often heavily considered in the draft.

gibber1600

Aug 6, 2003
Great white north
pittengineer said:
I still put him at #1. Ovechkin plays in the 2nd best league in the world with players in their prime(approx 26-30). The RSL is extremely defensive unlike most leagues. Thats why no one playing in that league will every have 150 points or whatever. Crosby plays in a lesser league with players more close to his age. The CHL is also more offensive. This is not to take away from Crosby as I think he will be a great goal scorer. I just like Ovechkin better because he is more two-way player and has better size than Crosby.

That being said, I still think it would be a coin flip for the #1 spot between the two if both were in the 2005 draft.
Great Job!!! I agree!!! :bow:

2 sweet

Apr 3, 2002
Visit site
Reveille said:
Wow.

I don't give a damn who's better.

I just think we should enjoy that there are two world class talents comming in the next two years of the draft.

Let the best man win..

finnaly some word of wisdom :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad