WJC: Where Will The 2023 World Juniors Be Played?

Where Will The 2023 World Juniors Be Played?

• Total voters

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
hopefully in the U.S. sunbelt somewhere. San Diego sounds nice.
The attendance to non major nation games will be laughably bad there, even non American games. At least if it’s in Europe, it can draw more fans from various nations to watch. You think Californians will watch Slovakia vs Switzerland even?

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Hopefully Canada or USA since I want to go to a few games. I could also see Germany maybe getting a shot just because I don’t even know the last time they’ve hosted, and also the recent top guys They have produced recently like Leon, Seider and Stutzle. Anywhere but Russia would be fine, sucks we probably won’t get to see Michkov going head to head with Bedard tho

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Hopefully not Canada.

As a Canadian, I love attending but if this past year showed anything its that when covid cases come up, any sporting event in Canada is completely screwed.

Hold it in Florida or Texas where you know there will actually be a completed tournament.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Didn't they say Gothenburg was hosting it? I could be wrong.

If it's the US, put it in Minnesota. I'd love to take a road trip to Minny and the US fans would be absolutely bonkers.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Didn't they say Gothenburg was hosting it? I could be wrong.

If it's the US, put it in Minnesota. I'd love to take a road trip to Minny and the US fans would be absolutely bonkers.
Gothenburg is 2024. US in 2025.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Gord Miller has forgotten more about what's actually going on with the WJR's, than the rest of us will ever know. Based on these tweets...

Gord Miller
@GMillerTSN
·
Feb 25

The World Junior tournament is trickier, finding a host city/cities with this little notice could be difficult. Alberta will host the rescheduled 2021 tournament in August, Canada would be one of the few places that could host it again in December, but where? /3

Gord Miller
@GMillerTSN

Going back to Alberta could happen, Edmonton and Red Deer hosted 2020 in a bubble, and had the 2021 event cancelled mid-tournament, but is it too much to ask them to do it twice in 5 months? /4

I have to believe it is coming back to Canada / likely Alberta - which is now booming.

I can see why some posters are concerned. Either Alberta does it right for both 2022 and 2023, or don't do it at all.

Options :

A) Spend the money on a full bubble, or

B) Don't bubble but let the kids play - accept that they are 18/19 year old triple vaxxed elite athletes with excellent immune systems and they don't need to be babied.

If Hockey Canada and the province cannot live with those options, play somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Moscow, East Ukraine is looking good.

Actual answer is obviously Canada nobody else will care enough to last second it.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Give it to Switzerland for being the first hockey federation to call for the expulsion of Russia and Belarus. And then give Latvia the 2023 WC once that's moved out of Russia for being the second federation to speak out.

Reactions: THE JAM and jj cale

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I can imagine that tournament could hosted in slovakia .. we have great generation u20 players and our nation is fanatic to hockey. Special after bronze succes at olympics.
This sounds like a good idea. I personally would love to have them here in Switzerland but realistically speaking it would not draw much interest. Sure the Swiss games would have decent attendance numbers but the rest not so much. I doubt the regular hockey fan who has season tickets to their local teams even knows who Connor Bedard is - which is a shame but just the reality.

Reactions: jaro

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Hopefully not Canada.

As a Canadian, I love attending but if this past year showed anything its that when covid cases come up, any sporting event in Canada is completely screwed.

Hold it in Florida or Texas where you know there will actually be a completed tournament.

Thinly veiled political statement much.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I'd love it to be in Canada but at the same time I think I'd prefer it too share wealth with the rest of the world. The World juniors being in Switzerland, Slovakia or Germany would be really awesome. The slovaks should have a decent team with Slafkovsky and Nemec maybe them.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'd love it to be in Canada but at the same time I think I'd prefer it too share wealth with the rest of the world. The World juniors being in Switzerland, Slovakia or Germany would be really awesome. The slovaks should have a decent team with Slafkovsky and Nemec maybe them.
But could they throw it together in less than 10 months with all the craziness that is going on in that part of the world?

My Guess : The IIHF will take the safe path and keep it in Canada.

Last edited:

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Gothenburg was originally supposed to be sooner but got pushed back due to Covid. I'd say it makes more sense to move them up a year and then look for a replacement with more time.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I meant to post this here...

Going forward, assuming Canada gets the tournament 4 times a decade, one tournament should be held in Montreal, one in Toronto, one in Vancouver and one in a smaller location.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad