Where will Seattle rank as a free agent destination?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Seattle will be fine. This is a great city in which to live.

The tax situation is something that's sold to fans and players that are too stupid to listen to their accountants. The fact that Seattle will benefit will work out well for Seattle.

This city has some issues, but the city itself is worth looking past them. I'm a little nervous with the idea of players wanting to live near Northgate since it's a little drive from downtown/Cap Hill/Central District/South of the cut to experience the real city, have quick access to Northgate and also Seattle Center, but I don't think it's an issue.

If this was a perfect world, I think the practice facility would be in Bellevue or the central district where I think they players would like to live (Cap Hill/Madison Park/Bellevue. However, since Seattle politics are what they are, I get why it's going to be where it is. I just think it's going to not be perfect like it could have been.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Just saw this short doc, will the drug epidemic have an impact?

Eh. Let’s be honest here, nhl players will be living in the east side, and seems like the cities over there have it a bit more under control.

Seattle is in a great position, especially if Canadian players want to be close go Canada (if they grew up in western Canada).

You also have a State with zero state income tax.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
If an NHL player establishes domicile in the state of Washington, they will certainly save money on state taxes as Washington has no income tax. This is a huge savings against states like California where they can expect to pay over 10% of the money appropriated and earned in California. Hence, this is why states like Nevada and Florida are free agent destinations for all professional athletes. This includes any endorsement or investment income.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There are no state income tax for now. The state is trying to get around the state supreme court ruling not allowing state income tax which won't go over well with the courts if someone takes the state to court.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Doubt it. Many of the athletes playing for the Seahawks and Mariners have their Seattle-area residences east of Lake Washington, well away from a lot of this stuff. You'll see a lot of them probably living in Bellevue/Redmond/Kirkland and commuting in to the practice facility as that's about a 10-15 minute trip from that part of the Eastside. The issues noted in the documentary are a big problem around the Center and Key Arena and we have discussed that on the NHL/Seattle threads in the past, but I would imagine that arena security and Seattle Police will be very aggressive to keep people like that from being a problem for fans, players and other users of the facility.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Doubt it. Many of the athletes playing for the Seahawks and Mariners have their Seattle-area residences east of Lake Washington, well away from a lot of this stuff. You'll see a lot of them probably living in Bellevue/Redmond/Kirkland and commuting in to the practice facility as that's about a 10-15 minute trip from that part of the Eastside. The issues noted in the documentary are a big problem around the Center and Key Arena and we have discussed that on the NHL/Seattle threads in the past, but I would imagine that arena security and Seattle Police will be very aggressive to keep people like that from being a problem for fans, players and other users of the facility.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if there are any problems there given its the cities responsibility for what happens if any fans get assaulted by the homeless problem.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Vegas changed a lot of things about expansion team. They can be competitive from the start, and let's be honest Seattle and PNW is the most attractive city right now.

Reactions: Dog

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Vegas changed a lot of things about expansion team. They can be competitive from the start, and let's be honest Seattle and PNW is the most attractive city right now.
They will gain upper hand that most teams wished could but they are stuck because of salary cap and can not start over. Good luck to Quebec City in getting a team back. Probably should get Florida Panthers.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Outside perspective: I see 2 possible outcomes

1: A slow start. Seattle is seen as a place to go that can afford free agents, but not a place to compete. Living conditions should still be attractive to more laid back free agents but the really competitive ones will still mostly want to sign to the big teams in the East. I would see the Seattle franchise in that respect settling out somewhere around the same level as the Capitals. Not a bad place to be but a bad season could get pretty dead.

2: A hot start. Seattle starts out the gate strong, kindles instant rivalries with other Western Conference teams, especially the Knights and the Canucks, and has a fighting chance at the wild card in year one. I could see this town becoming extremely attractive to free agents looking to cash in and make a little history at the same time.

So -- worst case scenario is an upper middle franchise with ups and downs. Best case scenario is a dynamic Western Conference powerhouse

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
At the start. not a good spot simply because it is an expansion team. But if they end up making the playoffs in the first 2-3 years, there is a good chance we attract a lot of FA's.

- No state tax is a big one considering we are the only team on the West Coast which will have that luxury.
- Proximity to Canada should help as well. Vancouver is only a couple of hours drive away.
- Good weather for most of the year. I feel that non-WA residents actually under-rate our weather because of rain.
- Great state purely from a recreational perspective. Skiing, boating, hiking, etc. are all within drive-able distances.
- We are a good sports town for most of the part. Unless you fail miserably over an extended time, like the Mariners. Who surprisingly still have a decent following.

Reactions: Nordiques1979

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Things that can draw free agents....

No state income tax.

Challenge of bringing hockey (back after about a century, see Seattle Metropolitans, 1917 Stanley Cup winners) to Washington.

Expansion team also means no cliques are previously set, no roles previously filled. (That doesn't mean a guy will be guaranteed a NHL roster spot, if the organization operates on merit promotion; I expect a lot of guys to fight for one the first year. Organization may have a NHL penciled-in roster before camp and exhibition season that is very different from opening roster.)

An opportunity to create team culture.

Expansion also allows players to play with no "history", IOW a clean slate.

Amazon Prime Now and other Amazon services that often are tested in the Seattle area.

Warmer weather than many NE and Canadian teams experience (no snow).

Cons

Property taxes are above average. State sales tax 6.5% (higher than some areas).

Perceived "rainy" climate.

Demands on players for appearances, charity involvement. The newness may generate a lot of interest/requests for participation. (CBA does limit this somewhat. But teams usually have 2-3 events a year they "require" players to participate, such as team golf tournament, team evening activity, holiday hospital visits. But there is no limit on what a player might do regarding endorsements.) NHL teams often have a reading/literacy program with local schools. (FTR, AHL teams often focus on math and science. So if they are in the same region, there are different outreaches.)

Families having to figure "everything" out. There is no existing WAG group who know where the best schools are, best dry cleaners, restaurants, and all the other things folks depend on to "live". (While players often congregate in/around city/area where the practice facility is located, as opposed to the arena, school district lines may play a bigger role.) While there won't be WAG experience to draw on, local real estate agents (vetted by team), and some long-time resident employees, may help provide some of that initial local knowledge.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Be a big destination for players from BC I would imagine. Plus, just like what Vegas did it gave a new chance for others to come into. Clean slate start and imagine Seattle has many advantages for players.

Reactions: Nordiques1979

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Be a big destination for players from BC I would imagine. Plus, just like what Vegas did it gave a new chance for others to come into. Clean slate start and imagine Seattle has many advantages for players.
Exactly what I was thinking. There are so many players from BC in the league. Vancouver is about a 2.5-3 hour drive from my house. Around the same from Seattle I believe.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Exactly what I was thinking. There are so many players from BC in the league. Vancouver is about a 2.5-3 hour drive from my house. Around the same from Seattle I believe.
Lookalike region, no canadians taxes, not too far from mother land... Yes, Seattle will attract A LOT of BC guys.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Things that can draw free agents....

Families having to figure "everything" out. There is no existing WAG group who know where the best schools are, best dry cleaners, restaurants, and all the other things folks depend on to "live". (While players often congregate in/around city/area where the practice facility is located, as opposed to the arena, school district lines may play a bigger role.) While there won't be WAG experience to draw on, local real estate agents (vetted by team), and some long-time resident employees, may help provide some of that initial local knowledge.

Not sure how big of a Con is, We have other professional teams with professional athletes. I'm guessing all the football players, Baseball players and kids of CEOs from Microsoft and Amazon will all go to the same schools etc.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
As somebody who moved to WA from CA and s about to move back to CA I can say the property values are much lower as are the taxes. Maybe those commenting on the taxes haven't lived anywhere else so they have nothing to compare it to. It is MUCH cheaper to live here than in CA. The athletes will be able to live on the water in a mansion away from that bad attributes of Seattle. There are much worse places to be a millionaire NHL player than Seattle, I think they'll be fine. My concern is they name the team after a fish.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In hearing about UFAs (and RFAs) talking with other teams, the things many players are looking for include:

• Chance to win the Stanley Cup
  • Chance to play with great players, for great coach/GM
  • Work culture (tightness/family of players, supported by Hockey Ops staff, etc.; respect to/from coach/GM)
  • Great fans
  • Good family neighborhood, great schools
  • Weather, cost of living, city/region attributes/activities
  • Hockey biz ($$, term)

Those first four are pretty much unknown today. We know the last may have to be competitive or bonus laden to get UFAs to sign there until things are established.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad