Where Should Jacob Chychrun Have Been Drafted?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Also worth remembering that Zach Bogosian played in the NHL the season following his draft and didn't look out of place thanks to his physical development (19 points in 47 games, slightly better than Chychrun's 17 through 54), but he basically peaked the following season, and I don't anyone would argue he's the best defenseman from his class (which also included Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Myers, Carlson, and Gardiner, all of whom I would take over him today without hesitation).

Like Mouser said, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I was actually disappointed we didn't take him with our first pick, during the brief bit of time between the Keller pick and seeing him drop down and finally land in our lap at 16.

That he even made the NHL right after being drafted is amazing. I hope he can keep it up.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Having OEL and Gogo in front of him for the next couple seasons should help his development. Less likely to be relied on with too much responsibility.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Main board will tell us we jumped on him too early. Not many people watch our squad. Painfully apparent by the OEL for scrub offers we are constantly bombarded with.

Actually, most people on the main board voted he should had been selected higher with most saying somewhere in the 6-10th overall range. I noticed too that there could be plenty of jealous fans if Chychrun tuns out to be an elite player.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Not an Az fan, but I knew that was a great pick by Az. I haven't watched many games of yours unfortunately (only say unfortunately because I cheer for the Avs), but is Churchyn untouchable for you guys at this point?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Not an Az fan, but I knew that was a great pick by Az. I haven't watched many games of yours unfortunately (only say unfortunately because I cheer for the Avs), but is Churchyn untouchable for you guys at this point?

Others may disagree, but I would say no. As I mentioned above, his rookie season looks a bit more to me like Zach Bogosian or maybe Adam Larsson than Drew Doughty or Aaron Ekblad. I think he'll be a fine NHL defenseman for a while and certainly wouldn't be shopping him, but he could be had for the right price (namely, as part of a package that brings back a top line center).

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
I don't know how to predict ceilings of players but this guy looks impressive every time I watch him. Offensively he's good but seems to need some work defensively

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Should we keep this theme going?

Where Should Dylan Strome Have Been Drafted?

Where Should Henrik Samuelsson Have Been Drafted?

Where Should Brandon Gormley Have Been Drafted?

:shakehead

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Should we keep this theme going?

Where Should Dylan Strome Have Been Drafted?

Where Should Henrik Samuelsson Have Been Drafted?

Where Should Brandon Gormley Have Been Drafted?

:shakehead

Uh no. The question I asked is a fair one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad