Where should Bruce Graham be playing next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
There's a discussion going on right now on the rangers board concerning whether or not Bruce Graham should be playing in the Q or in the AHL next year, since he is 85 born and would be eligable. Certain posters have held the position that he should be promoted to speed up his development curve and others are wary of promoting him automatically and do not know if he could handle it. It is clear that none of us have seen Graham play enough to make a judgement, but I expect there are some posters on this board who have.

So, could Graham handle the AHL next year? Would it be prudent to promote him if he can? What about his game makes you think he could/couldn't handle the AHL next season?

Many thanks in advance.

Campino

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
I have seen him play many times over the past few years and 3-4 times this year. He improves every season. His only problem in the past was consistancy, but he is currently on a 10 game point streak which includes 10 goals. I still find he likes to float. He needs to play a little tougher because of his size.
Moncton Wildcats have an awesome team this season and should have another one next year as they will probably host the Memorial Cup. So keeping Graham back a year wouldn't hurt him at all. If anything it would be a better experience for his to stay back. He is on pace for 80 points this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 100 + points next season if he stays in Moncton. He will take a leadership role next season. So I say leave him in Junior as long as possible. He was project player pick. Guys that big need time to freshin up thier skills. Let him develop over time. The Rangers are in no rush to have him playing for them they have enough prospects.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
like with any prospect looking to make the jump to the next level it will depend on how he plays throughout the whole year...some prospects you know before the year even starts that they barring a drastic change of events they will be making the jump the following year. but for most prospects november is too early to make a judgement and you need to wait to see how he progresses thru the year...

graham is on a 10 game point streak and is currently playing great...if he continues this all season then it wouldn't make any sense to send him back to juniors next year. but if on the other hand his game falls apart and he struggles the rest of the way then you might decide to send him back and hope that he dominates as an overager.

Prucha73

I don't really see much obstacle why he shouldn't be readyfor AHL next season, I think a spot on the team will be his if he really wants it.

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
Prucha73 said:
I don't really see much obstacle why he shouldn't be readyfor AHL next season, I think a spot on the team will be his if he really wants it.

Patience is a virtue.

I imagine he will get a long look in Hartford's training camp (much like Nigel Dawes, Ivan Baranka, and Marcus Jonasen got this year). If he shows he can play with the AHL'ers, he'll probably stick. If he doesn't, he fortunately has the option to go back to Juniors and spend another year developing.

Considering the avalanche of guys headed to Hartford next year the competition will be fierce for roster spots. He'll have to make a spot ... but it's certainly possible.

Prucha73

Kubera55 said:
Patience is a virtue.

I imagine he will get a long look in Hartford's training camp (much like Nigel Dawes, Ivan Baranka, and Marcus Jonasen got this year). If he shows he can play with the AHL'ers, he'll probably stick. If he doesn't, he fortunately has the option to go back to Juniors and spend another year developing.

Considering the avalanche of guys headed to Hartford next year the competition will be fierce for roster spots. He'll have to make a spot ... but it's certainly possible.

Yes, but there won't be too many centers in Hartford to compete against if Moore, Lundmark and Betts play in NHL.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Prucha73 said:

the potential obstacles are whether or not he is actually ready and also how crowded hartford is next year...

just because he is big and was born in 1985 that doesn't mean he is ready, you think he should automatically be ready based on those qualities but that isn't true. you need to evaluate his actual play at the end of the year to determine that...

then you also have to look at all the guys potentially heading to hartford, helminen & falardeau will make the jump from charlotte, jonasen must be signed cause he can't go back to juniors, there are 4 guys in europe that could be brought over, the rangers have 7 '85 guys in juniors that could all make the jump, and they have 7 ncaa juniors that could make the jump...thats 20 potential guys, not counting 2005 draft picks and anyone still in hartford. granted not all 20 are forwards so they won't all effect graham but that is a lot of guys for a limited number of spots. is it worth making the jump to play in the ECHL?? thats a question that will be faced for several of those guys.

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
Prucha73 said:
Yes, but there won't be too many centers in Hartford to compete against if Moore, Lundmark and Betts play in NHL.

Eh, not so sure about that. Lundmark and Betts aren't going to be in Hartford next year. But Moore might be. Prucha and Immonen are likely going to come over from Europe (and they'll need at least some time in the AHL to adjust to the NA game). Helminen will probably still be in the minors, and Falardeau's natural position is center. Throw in a few Layne Ullmer's and a few college guys who'll get a look, and Graham's going to have his work cut out for him. (To say nothing of all the wingers who are headed to Hartford... you can't go all rookie upfront.)

I'm not saying it's impossible, just suggesting it's a bit improbable.

As someone pointed out on another thread, Bernier is a much better prospect than Graham ever was. And no one ever suggested rushing him to the minor leagues.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I suspect it will depend a great deal on whose decision it ultimately is.

The fact that Moncton *may* host the Memorial Cup could play a role in his own personal decisions. I know that when I spoke to Saunders he indicated that while he wants to move on, he'd be very happy to play for Moncton again next season.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
As much as I'd like to see how well he preforms in the minors. Another year of juniors is more appropriate. Theres no reason to test him and ruin him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad