Speculation: Where Kuemps is better than Dubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Knowing where the puck is.

How many times has Dubs been looking around after the save, the puck dangling in the paint, or in his gear, and it ends up in the net.

Kuemper seems to have better awareness of where the puck is. Just an observation on a small sample size.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
cuz it's easier to find the puck when it's in the back of the net :sarcasm:

Glad Kemps is playing well though, rolling a consistent tandem will be huge

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Keywords: small sample size.

Don't get fooled. Kuemper's good in stretches, but he's still mentally fragile.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
I definitely think Kuemper is better but then he has these mental lapses and soaks everything. Dubs is just more consistent, he doesn't often lose games singe-handedly.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
As of tonight's game Kemps was really, really on in the first period and that's all that counted once we blew the game open. Hasn't lost a game yet in regulation. Wonder if we bring him back since he is a RFA and what he will get, another bridge contract perhaps or will he emerge as a trade chip with another team taking a chance of him being a potential 1A 1B goalie. I know I thought going into this season he could be gone at the end of the year but it's still early and you never know.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I've been a Kuemper hater for a long time, but to me it seems pretty clear that Kuemper's best > Dubnyk's best. It's just the consistency and mental issues that have prevented him from ever really getting any further than sparsely used backup. But make no mistake, Dubnyk should still get the majority of the starts.

Makorov

Minnesota Wild Fan
May 22, 2014
Unknown
Keywords: small sample size.

Don't get fooled. Kuemper's good in stretches, but he's still mentally fragile.

Oh yeah.. you're a stats guy..

As soon as as I saw "Sample Size" I thought of when I first tried to figure out Corsi and Fenwick.

But i Digress.. When Kuemper saves our ass mid season like Duuubs did. I might lean another way. Don't get me wrong. I love both of them.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
When he's on, he can be a really good hockey goalie. Needs consistency. When he's off.. Well, hopefully he won't be that anymore.. We'll see.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
It's pretty funny how close their GAA and save% are now.

Not really. It's 7 games vs. 23 games.

Some other backups who have started less than 10 games vs. the 20+ game starter:

Raanta: .922SV%, 2.03 GAA | Lundqvist: .933SV%, 2.14 GAA
Zatkoff: .936SV%, 2.43 GAA | Fleury: .925 SV%, 2.29 GAA
Montoya: .929SV%, 1.91 GAA | Luongo: .922SV%, 2.34 GAA
Enroth: .957SV%, 1.31 GAA | Quick: .915SV%, 2.28 GAA
Hutton: .907SV%, 2.74GAA | Rinne: .907SV%, 2.43GAA

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
The role of a good backup is to come in and win games for the team when needed. Dubnyk is back and he's the guy, so i think he should go vs the Rags. Give him the crease again, but Yeo should have no hesitation turning to Kuemp in the future.

Anytime the backup can come in and play well it takes a lot of pressure off the team.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
The role of a good backup is to come in and win games for the team when needed. Dubnyk is back and he's the guy, so i think he should go vs the Rags. Give him the crease again, but Yeo should have no hesitation turning to Kuemp in the future.

Anytime the backup can come in and play well it takes a lot of pressure off the team.

Nitpicking on an otherwise good post, but I always thought it slightly differently: The role of a good backup is to come in and not to lose the games for the team.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I ride Kuemper as long as he's playing like this, solely for the fact that it gives Dubnyk's groin another day or 3 to heal with every Kuemper start.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Both are pretty bad at playing the puck. They tend to make a lot of blind and "tricky" passes(i.e. rimming the puck around the boards w/o seeing if opponent is there), a la Vanek.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How can people say keumpers best is better than dubnyks best? Dubnyk vezina nomination on half a season of play...hellloooooooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad