Where is Kawhi Leonard going to end up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
howard and nash don't even compare to KL, LBJ, or PG. howard was coming off major back surgery and didn't want to play for LA. nash was almost 40 and on his last legs

it would suck to see anyone from the lakers young core go. but if you get a player like kawhi leonard in the process you have to go for it

although i'm assuming LBJ/PG are the main targets. the only way I can see them dealing for kawhi is if they feel they won't be able to land those two. LBJ and PG together are enough, no need to go out and break up the young core for leonard if those two sign

KL kind of backed himself into a corner by stating that he's going to LA, no matter what, next summer. If the Lakers can't make a deal for KL this offseason and they do sign LeBron and PG, they won't be able to signe Leonard next summer.

As weird as this might sound, that statement kind of gave the Spurs leverage in a potential trade with the Lakers. They just have to say, like stated in the report a couple of posts above this one, that they want a combination of Ingram/Kyle Kuzma/Josh Hart -- and future first-round picks and perhaps restricted free agent Julius Randle in a sign-and-trade agreement.

I'd take a package of Ingram, Randle and a couple of 1st round picks in a heartbeat for someone that is now a locker room cancer for the Spurs and publicly confirmed that he won't be resigning a new deal 12 months from now.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I understand the situations are very different, all I wanted to point out is that the risk is still there. They have a great young core, they just need to be patient. Of course, if you can get Leonard, LBJ and George, that's of course a game changer.

I would explore the possibility, I would just be careful about what price I would pay.

SO far every team that "risked" it to build a super team has won, so its well worth it. BOS, MIA, CLE and GSW all had some good runs.

Their young core is good but who knows if Ingram will ever be as good as PG or Leonard. Its a foregone conclusion that LeBron doesn't change teams unless there is 1, preferably 2 stars.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So they are going to trade him, in conference, to their biggest rival, creating a superteam in the process? I don't think that seems likely..

I see that, but if they can leverage LA into giving up multiple young studs + some picks, while Leonard telling everyone else that he’s a one year rental; then why not strip the Lakers of their youth around that super team core & take your biggest offer?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would be careful if I am the Lakers.

Sure getting Leonard, James and George would be great, but it could also backfired like when they got Howard and Nash. They have an exciting young core and that's what they should focus on. Move a piece or two to get PG and LBJ a third guy, sure, but don't gut the entire team for Leonard, especially not since he is coming back from injury.

I know the pressure is high in LA, but they have to be smart about it. As @Taylor Hall wrote, LBJ won't be playing forever.

The Lakers situation reminds me of the end of the Walsh era in New York, only suped up...better young studs and better veteran stars. When instead of waiting we gutted our youth in the melo trade.

If Pop can do that to LA then wtf not trade with them?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
KL kind of backed himself into a corner by stating that he's going to LA, no matter what, next summer. If the Lakers can't make a deal for KL this offseason and they do sign LeBron and PG, they won't be able to signe Leonard next summer.

As weird as this might sound, that statement kind of gave the Spurs leverage in a potential trade with the Lakers. They just have to say, like stated in the report a couple of posts above this one, that they want a combination of Ingram/Kyle Kuzma/Josh Hart -- and future first-round picks and perhaps restricted free agent Julius Randle in a sign-and-trade agreement.

I'd take a package of Ingram, Randle and a couple of 1st round picks in a heartbeat for someone that is now a locker room cancer for the Spurs and publicly confirmed that he won't be resigning a new deal 12 months from now.

again, kawhi was not the one who came out and said he wanted to play in LA. that was his camp (specifically his uncle)

ingram/kuzma/hart/1st rounder would likely be the package LA offers. and i have a feeling kawhi is going to be dealt in the next couple days because it seems like the spurs are simply waiting to see if any other team offers anything better

you just don't know what rob/magic have up their sleeves. they've said time after time that ingram is untouchable but if he gets you kawhi you have to pull the trigger i'd say

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
again, kawhi was not the one who came out and said he wanted to play in LA. that was his camp (specifically his uncle)

ingram/kuzma/hart/1st rounder would likely be the package LA offers. and i have a feeling kawhi is going to be dealt in the next couple days because it seems like the spurs are simply waiting to see if any other team offers anything better

you just don't know what rob/magic have up their sleeves. they've said time after time that ingram is untouchable but if he gets you kawhi you have to pull the trigger i'd say

I understand that his uncle is probably the one driving the buss but at the end of the day, KL is the one that decides where he wants to go, so the final decision is his... not his uncle.

As far as the possible trade to LA, I'd wait until Magic gives me EXACTLY what I want. The Spurs are in no rush to move him to LA or anywhere else for that matter. Leonard told the world that he doesn't want to be a member of the Spurs anymore, so if he doesn't get his wish come opening night, he'll have to play for us because he's still under contract.

I'd ask for Ingram, Randle and multiple 1st round picks... if the Lakers don't want to give up that package, tell them to take a hike and move Leonard at the deadline to the highest bidder.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the lakers priority is LBJ and PG. kawhi is option #3

if rob/magic know they're going to land those two, no need to go out and get kawhi. all 3 would be awesome but not necessary

the only reason LA should be rushing to get kawhi is if LBJ/PG's people have told the lakers they won't sign there unless they get kawhi too (which is doubtful but you never know)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's hard to tell what's accurate because everyone has an agenda and the Spurs are clearly negotiating publicly through Woj/ESPN but the report last night said the Lakers will likely get a commitment from LeBron if Kawhi's there. If that's true then they probably should be doing whatever it takes to get a deal done. You're getting two of the top three players in the NBA.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I understand that his uncle is probably the one driving the buss but at the end of the day, KL is the one that decides where he wants to go, so the final decision is his... not his uncle.

As far as the possible trade to LA, I'd wait until Magic gives me EXACTLY what I want. The Spurs are in no rush to move him to LA or anywhere else for that matter. Leonard told the world that he doesn't want to be a member of the Spurs anymore, so if he doesn't get his wish come opening night, he'll have to play for us because he's still under contract.

I'd ask for Ingram, Randle and multiple 1st round picks... if the Lakers don't want to give up that package, tell them to take a hike and move Leonard at the deadline to the highest bidder.
That's an odd way to look at things. So you'd rather get a lesser return at the deadline if you don't get EXACTLY what you want from the Lakers, even though Kawhi is walking to L.A. 100% next summer? Why would you do a disservice to your franchise like that? Just because of some vendetta against Kawhi?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
the lakers priority is LBJ and PG. kawhi is option #3

if rob/magic know they're going to land those two, no need to go out and get kawhi. all 3 would be awesome but not necessary

the only reason LA should be rushing to get kawhi is if LBJ/PG's people have told the lakers they won't sign there unless they get kawhi too (which is doubtful but you never know)

It's hard to tell what's accurate because everyone has an agenda and the Spurs are clearly negotiating publicly through Woj/ESPN but the report last night said the Lakers will likely get a commitment from LeBron if Kawhi's there. If that's true then they probably should be doing whatever it takes to get a deal done. You're getting two of the top three players in the NBA.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2018/06/what_will_lebron_james_say_to.html#incart_big-photo

Sources close to him told cleveland.com that James' decision to join the Lakers would neither be clinched nor doomed by that franchise's ability to trade for Kawhi Leonard. So, at minimum, the LeBron-to-the-Lakers stuff has real merit.

Doesn't look like Kawhi is the make or break.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
That's an odd way to look at things. So you'd rather get a lesser return at the deadline if you don't get EXACTLY what you want from the Lakers, even though Kawhi is walking to L.A. 100% next summer? Why would you do a disservice to your franchise like that? Just because of some vendetta against Kawhi?

It has nothing to do with Leonard and everything to do with showing every other player that will join the Spurs that they won't dictate their future when under contract.

Again, the Spurs don't owe anything to Kawhi Leonard and even less to the Lakers, so bottom line is that the Lakers have to overpay and match the demand of R.C. Buford or miss out on KL and their potential "Super Team" of James, Leonard and Georges.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It has nothing to do with Leonard and everything to do with showing every other player that will join the Spurs that they won't dictate their future when under contract.

Again, the Spurs don't owe anything to Kawhi Leonard and even less to the Lakers, so bottom line is that the Lakers have to overpay and match the demand of R.C. Buford or miss out on KL and their potential "Super Team" of James, Leonard and Georges.
You realize that if this exact scenario of yours plays out, and the Spurs trade Kawhi for pennies on the dollar at the deadline, it not only makes the Spurs much, much worse, but does *literally* nothing to stop the Lakers from creating a super team next summer that includes all of Kawhi, LeBron, and George.

Reactions: The Night King

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You realize that if this exact scenario of yours plays out, and the Spurs trade Kawhi for pennies on the dollar at the deadline, it not only makes the Spurs much, much worse, but does *literally* nothing to stop the Lakers from creating a super team next summer that includes all of Kawhi, LeBron, and George.

They won't be able to fit Leonard if he joins the Lakers next year and James won't join the Lakers if they don't acquire top notch talent this summer.

Again, if the Lakers won't KL, then match the offer thrown your way... it's just that simple.

It's like if the Spurs are doomed to trade Leonard to the Lakers when that's the furthest thing from the truth.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They won't be able to fit Leonard if he joins the Lakers next year and James won't join the Lakers if they don't acquire top notch talent this summer.

Again, if the Lakers won't KL, then match the offer thrown your way... it's just that simple.

It's like if the Spurs are doomed to trade Leonard to the Lakers when that's the furthest thing from the truth.
Believe me when I tell you, if the Lakers want to make LeBron, Kawhi, and George a reality next summer, and the players want it to happen, it will happen.

You wanting the Spurs to spite Kawhi, or not trade him to the Lakers if your exact demands aren't met, is just ridiculous. If the Lakers present a good offer, you take it before Kawhi walks. The same goes for any other team. But if you're going to sit here and demand X amount of players/picks and hang up on anyone that doesn't meet that offer, only to deal Kawhi at the deadline for significantly less, that's just a porous way of running a franchise.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Believe me when I tell you, if the Lakers want to make LeBron, Kawhi, and George a reality next summer, and the players want it to happen, it will happen.

You wanting the Spurs to spite Kawhi, or not trade him to the Lakers if your exact demands aren't met, is just ridiculous. If the Lakers present a good offer, you take it before Kawhi walks. The same goes for any other team. But if you're going to sit here and demand X amount of players/picks and hang up on anyone that doesn't meet that offer, only to deal Kawhi at the deadline for significantly less, that's just a porous way of running a franchise.

I get that you're a Lakers fan and you want your super team but the Spurs are in no rush to deal Leonard since he's under contract and I'll say it again, if they don't land him now, LBJ ain't coming over to play with Ball and a bunch of rookies. Paul Georges seems to be leaning on staying with OKC, so it's basically do or die for Magic.

I'd rather get a lesser package from the Celtics and f*** up the Lakers shot at building their super team instead of adding one or two additional assets to strengthen a team in our conference.

Reactions: Stylizer1

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Leverage can change in a heartbeat. If LeBron and PG were to agree to sign with the Lakers tomorrow, they'd no longer be in a hurry to make a trade and can wait until the Spurs are ready to accept a reasonable offer, or just wait for July 2019.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I get that you're a Lakers fan and you want your super team but the Spurs are in no rush to deal Leonard since he's under contract and I'll say it again, if they don't land him now, LBJ ain't coming over to play with Ball and a bunch of rookies. Paul Georges seems to be leaning on staying with OKC, so it's basically do or die for Magic.

I'd rather get a lesser package from the Celtics and **** up the Lakers shot at building their super team instead of adding one or two additional assets to strengthen a team in our conference.

What if I, a Knicks fan, agree with his logic?

Reactions: dahrougem2

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
As a Spurs fan, I want no less than Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, Wagner, and a first round pick.
Lol, good luck with that. You're not getting both Ingram and Kuzma.

What is this nonsense of Boston offering Kyrie of Kawhi? They have 3!!starting small forwards with Brown, Taytum and and the return of superstar Hayward. They'll have a massive hole at the 1 position if Kyrie leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad