Where in the world is Jacob markstrom?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Of course this thread posts on the mobile app when it wasn’t ready… sigh

Anyways, 897sv% despite Calgary being top 10 in preventing high danger chances. I’m sorry, but where is this guy’s head since the Edmonton series? I mean a forward like mangiapane struggling or defensive injuries can be dealt with through committee, but you can’t escape bad goaltending. Of all the things that have concerned me this year (top line struggles, sutter’s stubbornness), this by far is the most concerning. Jonas hiller single handily cost us a playoff spot in 2015-16. While markstrom isn’t at that level, this is definitely the worst goaltending I’ve seen to start a season since 2016.

It’s pretty concerning. 6/9 outings (might be 7/9, have to double check) markstrom hasn’t hit the 900sv% mark. It’s hard to win games like this…

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yep. Enough excuses for this guy. He’s paid to make the big and timely saves and he’s done the exact opposite of that since the Edmonton series.

I can’t remember a single game in recent memory that he stole for us and he is consistently being outplayed by the goaltender at the other end of the rink.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Looks like a completely different goalie from last year. Letting in soft early goals, and can't make those big late saves he did last year. Playing deeper in his net and just seems to have lost his confidence.

Hopefully just a shitty stretch for him, and he can find his game, but definitely very concerning to start the year.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
He hasn't been great but lets remember he was sick to start the season, and Kylington/Tanev which was a staple last year in our defence haven't played together at all yet. I know him and the team will bounce back. We probably won't beat Vegas for the division but I think 2nd/3rd place in the pacific is well within our reach. It's an 82 game season.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He has to be better definitely. So do a lot of guys.

Flames also finished last year 6th in goals scored. Right now they're 23rd(16th in GF/G). Would rather be working these things out in November than April tho.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Hes just as good as last year, and im gonna keep repeating it. Rode on a bunch of 20 save shutouts to sparkling stats, but let in nearly every good scoring chance and cant make a clutch save to save hes life. He couldnt keep a .900 save percentage in bunch of games till arond feb last year too. But he was good for the end stretch and 1st round of playoffs tho i will say that.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
It's the same old goaltending inconsistencies that we saw since the days of having Elliot/Johnson and Smith as the starters.. embarrassing tendency to let in soft ass goals, and the failure to stay consistent from season to season. While all these goalies came and went, one guy was continuously gifted his spot and that is Jordan Sigalet. This guy continues to fail at keeping his goalies playing at a high level, and they even promoted him to Director of Goaltending last season. As long as they continue to employ this useless guy, the goaltending situation will stay the same. Just absolutely inconsistent.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
It's the same old goaltending inconsistencies that we saw since the days of having Elliot/Johnson and Smith as the starters.. embarrassing tendency to let in soft ass goals, and the failure to stay consistent from season to season. While all these goalies came and went, one guy was continuously gifted his spot and that is Jordan Sigalet. This guy continues to fail at keeping his goalies playing at a high level, and they even promoted him to Director of Goaltending last season. As long as they continue to employ this useless guy, the goaltending situation will stay the same. Just absolutely inconsistent.

I don't always like to blame coaches for a player's performance but Sigalet's track record here is abysmal. He really should be replaced because at this point its way too much. I don't want him to ruin Wolf.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's not the problem. He's stopped breakaways/2-on-0s/point blank chances every game, but we keep giving them up. That's the biggest difference with last year, where we not only tilted the ice in possession but also gave the opposition a very hard time generating odd-man rushes. This year (starting I guess in the Oilers series) has been night and day.

When the Flames start playing properly and actually protecting Markstrom, then there will be expectations to maintain elite stats. But playing careless, sloppy hockey and expecting your goalie to put up good stats regardless is foolish.

I don't know about you guys, but when I'm watching the Flames these days, Markstrom is not on my mind at all. It's frustration about why we are leaking so many grade A chances from turnovers. I think the only reason you'd end up looking at him as a problem is because of his stats.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
He's not the problem. He's stopped breakaways/2-on-0s/point blank chances every game, but we keep giving them up. That's the biggest difference with last year, where we not only tilted the ice in possession but also gave the opposition a very hard time generating odd-man rushes. This year (starting I guess in the Oilers series) has been night and day.

When the Flames start playing properly and actually protecting Markstrom, then there will be expectations to maintain elite stats. But playing careless, sloppy hockey and expecting your goalie to put up good stats regardless is foolish.

I don't know about you guys, but when I'm watching the Flames these days, Markstrom is not on my mind at all. It's frustration about why we are leaking so many grade A chances from turnovers. I think the only reason you'd end up looking at him as a problem is because of his stats.

You make a great point about the chances and those have been obvious, it's just the goals given up that have been the bigger problem for me. There is no doubt the defensive end needs to be tightened up but there has been too many times Markstrom has given up a goal on a shot I think he should've had. He's been a bit better recently as opposed to earlier but its still not good enough. Too many games where he just hasn't looked right.

The team turnover adjustment period is understandable but even last season I remember too many times where I wasn't as confident as everyone else about Markstrom. We still managed to get wins but there were problems that needed to be addressed. Early on this season they have been magnified and need to be resolved sooner rather than later.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Been a headcase since before the NHL. I wasn't a fan of the signing but he looks good when the team plays well. I wasn't convinced by all his shutouts either. A decent bit of them seemed to be in games where the opps had fewer than 20 or so shots.

He'll bounce back, I'm sure, but maybe next season. He's signed long term and has job security. Who's gonna steal his spot?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

He is absolutely a major part of the problem.

Again - why with the excuses for this guy? All goalies are asked to and relied upon to make difficult saves. That's LITERALLY the job, and he's doing it at a significantly worse level than his peers and what's he's being paid to do. Do you think there is a single team in the NHL that doesn't allow breakaways/2-0's/point blank chances? This is the NHL - where the world's most skilled players are going to create opportunities on a consistent basis. I just can't Imagine thinking that a goaltender's only responsibility should be to stop the "easy" shots.

Calgary gives up the fourth least amount of high danger looks against/60, and yet have the fourth worst SV% in the NHL. That is undeniably a major problem.

How exactly can Markstrom not be on your mind when he has let in the first shot on goal 4 times this season? How can he not be on your mind when he's consistently giving up timely goals in big moments that have very much been stoppable? Both goaltenders have STUNK and the statistics back that up.

The guy is in a rut and very much needs to get out of it. He's far from the only one mind you - but that' doesn't excuse him.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't always like to blame coaches for a player's performance but Sigalet's track record here is abysmal. He really should be replaced because at this point its way too much. I don't want him to ruin Wolf.
I'm still not sure if guys like Hiller, Ortio, Ramo, Rittich, Smith, Elliott, were simply not that great and Sigalet made them look better than they were, or they were actually kind of good but Sigalet ruined them.

Goalies man.

Also that's a damn long list considering that's like three or four seasons worth of goalies...

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Calgary gives up the fourth least amount of high danger looks against/60,
I'm not saying they give up a large quantity of high danger chances. I'm saying that the high danger chances they give up with consistency are not acceptable products of risk-taking and trying to make plays. They are egregious and irresponsible errors team-wide that lead to extremely difficult circumstances for the goalie.

You couple that with the fact that the Flames aren't padding his stats with a large volume of rubber overall, and his stats are much more an effect than a cause.

The order of addressing problems 100% starts with the team play and cohesion. It isn't "we're going to still be shit but could you save everything anyway?"

You ask why the excuses for Markstrom, and I think I covered that. When I watch the Flames, he isn't sticking out as the problem. The team play is.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He is absolutely a major part of the problem.

Again - why with the excuses for this guy? All goalies are asked to and relied upon to make difficult saves. That's LITERALLY the job, and he's doing it at a significantly worse level than his peers and what's he's being paid to do. Do you think there is a single team in the NHL that doesn't allow breakaways/2-0's/point blank chances? This is the NHL - where the world's most skilled players are going to create opportunities on a consistent basis. I just can't Imagine thinking that a goaltender's only responsibility should be to stop the "easy" shots.

Calgary gives up the fourth least amount of high danger looks against/60, and yet have the fourth worst SV% in the NHL. That is undeniably a major problem.

How exactly can Markstrom not be on your mind when he has let in the first shot on goal 4 times this season? How can he not be on your mind when he's consistently giving up timely goals in big moments that have very much been stoppable? Both goaltenders have STUNK and the statistics back that up.

The guy is in a rut and very much needs to get out of it. He's far from the only one mind you - but that' doesn't excuse him.

The problem is that teams are scoring on their high danger looks because they're always uncontested shots in the slot off the rush, uncontested rebounds because no one is covering their guy, etc.

Two of those four first shot goals were breakaways FFS, like context matters people.

Angelsmith and I aren't making excuses, we're providing context, because blaming Markstrom solely when our defense is what is causing a ton of goals against matters.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
All started when he let in that ridiculously soft goal off of McDavid.

We haven’t won a game since.

Should have started Vladar.

Goalies are head cases, I know, I am one.

While goal tending appears to be of concern, let’s not pretend that it’s the biggest problem.

This team can’t hold a lead to save their lives. It’s pathetic. It’s like watching a car accident in slow motion. You know it’s coming. You know what’s going to happen. But you can’t look away.

Seven game losing streak and they have had a lead in almost every game.

Don’t know what the solution is, probably to take a step away from the team until the new year. This is just too hard to watch.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Markstrom lets in a crucial softie a lot but I also see him as a MLB starting pitcher who pitches well overall, gives up a few home runs but does not get the run support.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00