Where Hawks came from

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I need help here.

Can anyone tell me trade details for: what happened to the 2 2nds we acquired in the morin trade?

I'll update as details become available.

Centers
Toews- 2006 1.3
Richards-UFA
Shaw-2011 5th rounder
Kruger-2009 5th rounder
Teravainen-2012-1.18
Regin- acquired for 4th rounder

Left Wing
Sharp-acquired for Matt Ellison>>>Matt Ellison 4th rounder 2002
Bickell- 2nd rounder with pick acquired from LAK for Zhamnov and pieces.
Saad-2011 Calgary 2nd round pick, acquired from Toronto. Toronto got 2010 2nd (Dillon Maples) for a 2nd and 3rd (Saad, Paliotta)
Morin- acquired with 1.24 (Kevin Hayes), 2 2nds in exchange for Byguflien, Aliu, Sopel

Right wing
Hossa- UFA
Kane-2007 1.1
Versteeg- acquired for Olsen (2009 1st) and Hayes (2010 2nd)
Smith-6th rounder acquired from OTT for Lapointe

Left Defense
Keith 2002- 2.24
Hjalmarsson-4.17 (acquired from NYI for Karpotzev)
Leddy- acquired for Cam Barker (2004 1.3)
Rundblad- acquired for 2014 2nd rounder

Right defense
Seabrook- 2003 1.14
Oduya- acquired for 2nd/3rd rounder
Roszival- UFA

Goalies
Crawford- 2003 2.22
Raanta-UFA
---------------------

-8/23 are from original Hawks draft picks. (In draft order: Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Teravainen, Crawford, Keith, Shaw Kruger)
-4/23 are Hawks draft picks from other teams acquired via trade (Bickell, Hjalmarsson, Smith, Saad)
-4/23 are UFA
-2/23 are player for prospect trades (Morin-Byfuglien, Leddy-Barker)
-3/23 are draft pick for player trades (Oduya, Rundblad, Regin)
- 2/23 are player for prospect trades (Sharp, Versteeg)

Last edited:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Biggest trade wins:

Sharp for the Philly package-was absolute robbery... This wasn't a Bowman trade.
Leddy for Barker- I call this win even though it can be argues it isn't. After all we did essentially flip the 3rd overall pick for Nick Leddy. However I call it a win because it was apparent Barker was terrible.
Saad for Calgary 2nd- 2010 2nd for a 2nd (Saad) and 3rd (Paliotta).
Oduya- top 4 D for two prospects, huge part of the Cup run

Biggest trade losses: The hawks essentially haven't lost a trade in 7-8 years that wasn't a cap dump trade. Feel free to correct me but I can't find any.

Campbell for Olesz
Buff+ for Morin+
Ladd for Visniewski and Adam Clendening

Meh:
Brouwer for Danault- great value at the time might have been the wrong pick.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Bickell:
*The Los Angeles Kings' second-round pick went to the Chicago Blackhawks as the result of a trade on February 19, 2004 that sent Alexei Zhamnov and Washington's fourth-round pick in 2004 to Philadelphia in exchange for Jim Vandermeer, Colin Fraser and this pick.
*Philadelphia previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on May 28, 2003 that sent Roman Cechmanek to Los Angeles in exchange for this pick.

Saad:
*The Calgary Flames' second-round pick went to the Chicago Blackhawks as the result of a trade on September 5, 2009 that sent Toronto's second-round pick in 2010 to Toronto in exchange for a third-round pick in 2011 and this pick.
*Toronto previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on July 27, 2009 that sent Anton Stralman, Colin Stuart and a seventh-round draft pick in 2012 to Calgary in exchange for Wayne Primeau and this pick.

Smith:
*The Ottawa Senators' sixth-round pick went to the Chicago Blackhawks as the result of a trade on February 26, 2008 that sent Martin Lapointe to Ottawa in exchange for this pick.

Source.... Wikipedia pages for their respective draft years.

Last edited:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Bickell:
*The Los Angeles Kings' second-round pick went to the Chicago Blackhawks as the result of a trade on February 19, 2004 that sent Alexei Zhamnov and Washington's fourth-round pick in 2004 to Philadelphia in exchange for Jim Vandermeer, Colin Fraser and this pick.
*Philadelphia previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on May 28, 2003 that sent Roman Cechmanek to Los Angeles in exchange for this pick.

Saad:
*The Calgary Flames' second-round pick went to the Chicago Blackhawks as the result of a trade on September 5, 2009 that sent Toronto's second-round pick in 2010 to Toronto in exchange for a third-round pick in 2011 and this pick.
*Toronto previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on July 27, 2009 that sent Anton Stralman, Colin Stuart and a seventh-round draft pick in 2012 to Calgary in exchange for Wayne Primeau and this pick.

Smith:
*The Ottawa Senators' sixth-round pick went to the Chicago Blackhawks as the result of a trade on February 26, 2008 that sent Martin Lapointe to Ottawa in exchange for this pick.

Source.... Wikipedia pages for their respective draft years.
Thanks! Added. I'll be doing some analysis on all these deals once I get the roster complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Fun roster based on acquisitions origination

Based on this roster:
Sharp Toews Hossa
Saad Richards Kane
Bickell Shaw Versteeg
Morin Kruger Smith
Teravainen
Regin

Keith Seabrook
Hjalmarsson Oduya
Leddy Roszival
Rundblad

Crawford
Raanta

Roster origination
Ellison- 1.3- Hossa
Hawks 2010 2nd- Richards- 1.1
Zhamnov- 5th rounder- Olsen/JHayes
Byfuglien- 5th rounder- Lapointe
Hawks 4th rounder

2.24- 1.14
Karpotzev- Hawks 2nd/ 3rd rounder
Cam Barker- Roszival
Hawks 2o14 2nd

2nd rounder
Raanta

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I like that write down. we drafted them, we traded for them and we signed them as UFA.

Looking at that, it Looks like we did something right. Coaching, Scouting and making the right decisions. Not that we haven't known that before

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
It was Ellison and a second to be fair.

The original Handzus. Mediocre depth forward played way over his ability.

It was actually a 3rd.

Looking at the roster. If you are a forward and
1)American-Kane, Saad, Morin, Smith, Hartman, Shmaltz etc
2) College player- Toews,sharp, smith, Shmaltz, etc
3) played in the USHL- forgot Sharp played in the U, many others

... The Hawks will find you. Only the two UFA, Hossa and Richards in our top 6 don't fit part of this description.

Last edited:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The biggest loss of draft value trades the Hawks have had-

-Versteeg was acquired for a 1st (Olsen) and 2nd (JHayes)... Still a good trade. Olsen had shown that he would not live up to his draft ranking.
-cam barker (pick 1.3) for Leddy- colossal miss on the Barker pick, still extracted very good value for Barker's corpse. However from a straight draft pick sense this was another big loss.

All you can ask is that you draft players who are as valuable as their draft spot. If you do that you are way ahead. In these cases the Hawks had underperforming players but salvaged the miss by flipping them for useful nhLers. That is HUGE.

------------------------------
how did we get here?
Disregard nailing draft picks(Saad, Toews, Kane,etc) , the biggest Hawks front office moves that make this team great:

1) Signing Marian Hossa as a UFA
2) Sharp for Ellisson and a 3rd
3) Signing Duncan Keith at his laughably low AAV
4) Choosing Hjalmarsson over Niemi
5) Trading for Oduya
6) Offloading Brian Campbell's contract
7) Barker for Leddy

Am I missing any huge front office moments? Right order?

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
Biggest trade losses: The hawks essentially haven't lost a trade in 7-8 years that wasn't a cap dump trade. Feel free to correct me but I can't find any.

There is one I would say is a loss. James Wisniewski for a couple months of
Samuel Phalsson. Not a real good one in hindsight. Would've rather kept Wiz.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
There is one I would say is a loss. James Wisniewski for a couple months of
Samuel Phalsson. Not a real good one in hindsight. Would've rather kept Wiz.
Bad trade. Loved Wisniewski but he had several knee injuries his first couple or years.
Hawks needed a C (reoccurring theme) and Wiz would have to be paid $$. He didnt want to be buried on the third pairing.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Credit to Mike Smith for getting anything more than a roll of tape...

No kidding.

With regard to Barker, I'm still really surprised career turned out the way it did. I didn't think he was going to be a superstar but I thought he was going to be a really good NHL defenseman. He had flashes of it but man did he ever just fizzle out. I was definitely wrong on that one.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
2004 was a brutal draft year especially for the first round. Ovechkin and Malkin 1,2 but very tough after that. There were concerns about Barker predraft but his physical skills size, mobility, shot outweighed concerns about his toolbox. Lack of toolbox eventually won out.

Hawks had 17 picks. 5 made it. Bickell, Bolland and Brower still playing. Kontiola also making his second appearance over the pond with Toronto this year.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Barker was #3 on everyone's board.

And Karpo for Hammer? Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum. Hammer is all heart. Total warrior. Karpo? Not so much.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The Byfuglien trade is really sticking out to me like a sore thumb. Although the pieces the hawks returned haven't worked out, the hawks got an abosolute huge return for Buff at that time

Buff, Sopel, Aliu, Eager
For
Morin (2nd), a 1st, a 2nd, reasoner and crabb.

Remember that at that time Buff was a lot like 2013 Bryan Bickell.

The trade was essentially like a Bickell/Roszival/McNeill for a 1st, 2nd and top 5 prospect trade would be today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad