Where exactly did the rebuild go wrong?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

I mean it.

Org parlayed a perfect CBA agreement that was meant specifically for it to succeed and went out and got the wrong player without sussing out whether that player would really be interested, and likely to stay here.

We had the cap space advantage that year to build a contract raid power house that should have made hockey much different in Edmonton this past decade. We got one year of success instead and paying for it ever since.

I suppose you could say that, and it's an interesting take you posit. but that mistake alone, IMO, should not have sunk the franchise. It was the dozens of subsequent mistakes, by the same people, that did the damage.

IMO, its Lowe's bad rep that hurt the franchise the most. He may have been the worst person for the job of POHO. the whole industry hated him!!!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I suppose you could say that, and it's an interesting take you posit. but that mistake alone, IMO, should not have sunk the franchise. It was the dozens of subsequent mistakes, by the same people, that did the damage.

IMO, its Lowe's bad rep that hurt the franchise the most. He may have been the worst person for the job of POHO. the whole industry hated him!!!

Its some solace for myself, and most fans, that we're not alone in that. I would feel somewhat pathological otherwise. :laugh:

I just despise K Lowe. Too much mileage and baggage with this club. Its really a bit sad that he sullied his Oilers career to the degree he has and to the point where he couldn't even go out and attend the reunion night at Rexall for fear the fans would boo him. Not that it isn't deserved by now.

One would think pride, and a sense of preserving how one is remembered and thought of would override endlessly collecting a pay cheque in some vague managerial capacity. Does the guy really need the money that much that he deepsixes what anybody ever thought of him? Most players have the good grace and sense to go out before they tarnish everything they've done.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If we're going that far back may as well take it all back to the deal of Comrie for Perry that Lowe ****ed up because he had to piss all over Comrie.

Oh definitely, but I was thinking more along the lines of the absolute biggest screw up. For years Edmonton saying all we need is a Capped CBA to be successful and to compete. We get a tailor made CBA that is PERFECT for our teams needs and we proceed to **** the bed for the next decade. In a way that few teams have ever done.

As another poster mentioned, and most of us remember, there was a lot of questions being asked when Chris (let small market teams go bust) Pronger signed here. That was so over the top silly I had trouble suspending my um, cynicism. To his credit Pronger played remarkably that one year but it was surreal. I could never really visualize any scenario where he would stay here. I was surprised he was here at all. Ditto Peca, ditto most of the players they brought in who fled the sinking ship like rats once they figured out King Pronger was gone.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Oh definitely, but I was thinking more along the lines of the absolute biggest screw up. For years Edmonton saying all we need is a Capped CBA to be successful and to compete. We get a tailor made CBA that is PERFECT for our teams needs and we proceed to **** the bed for the next decade. In a way that few teams have ever done.

As another poster mentioned, and most of us remember, there was a lot of questions being asked when Chris (let small market teams go bust) Pronger signed here. That was so over the top silly I had trouble suspending my um, cynicism. To his credit Pronger played remarkably that one year but it was surreal. I could never really visualize any scenario where he would stay here. I was surprised he was here at all. Ditto Peca, ditto most of the players they brought in who fled the sinking ship like rats once they figured out King Pronger was gone.

that's a good question. there is no one answer as to why the rebuild failed; there were many screw ups. but we could discuss what was the biggest screw up.

1. KLowe
2. no AHL team.
3. deplorable drafting/development

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Being fired and not re-signed is the same thing. There were things Renney did that I did not like but the team was improving and the young players played well his final season here. Renney was better than the next three head coaches we had.

Yeah, Renney with Krueger as the associate handing special teams and working with individuals could have been very good long term for this group.

But, like someone said, no MacT, no Eakins, then very likely no McDavid :)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
My opinion is there were 2 key moments. Each moment put the rebuild back about two or three years and together they sunk the franchise:

1) Steve Tambellini -- summer 2008 hire as GM (this is mainly on Lowe...?)

2) firing of Krueger / hiring of Eakins (mainly on MacT)

I remember when the news came that Lowe/Oilers' brass had hired Tambellini as GM. My immediate reaction was: "Why are they hiring a guy who has no experience of NHL winning to take over this franchise?"

MacTavish's very short reign as GM was mostly much ado about nothing -- he wasn't great overall; he wasn't terrible. But the key moment that defined (and, in fact, ended) his reign as GM was the firing of Krueger / hiring of Eakins. At the time, it almost made sense... in the long run, it was a disaster of epic proportions.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
My opinion is there were 2 key moments. Each moment put the rebuild back about two or three years and together they sunk the franchise:

I remember when the news came that Lowe/Oilers' brass had hired Tambellini as GM. My immediate reaction was: "Why are they hiring a guy who has no experience of NHL winning to take over this franchise?"

MacTavish's very short reign as GM was mostly much ado about nothing -- he wasn't great overall; he wasn't terrible. But the key moment that defined (and, in fact, ended) his reign as GM was the firing of Krueger / hiring of Eakins. At the time, it almost made sense... in the long run, it was a disaster of epic proportions.

and the funny thing is it was the first thing he did on the job. not one month in and he cooked his goose. (course, with this organization, when Chia eventually gets fired, would any of us be surprised if Mact is the one that steps in? Even if its 10 years from now?)

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Why are you guys.................???

Why are you guys wasting your words and time with this topic? It does nothing except it shows your hatred for Lowe and MacT.

Everybody is at fault......the entire organization from Katz on down.

Let it go and concentrate on the immediate future plan of the Oiler organization.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Why are you guys wasting your words and time with this topic? It does nothing except it shows your hatred for Lowe and MacT.
Umm... I don't hate Lowe or MacT. I've been cheering for them since the early/mid-80s, and I like them both in general. I also think MacT wasn't given a fair shake as GM (which is fair play, since he didn't give Krueger a fair shake), and I don't like how everyone assumes "Lowe and MacTavish" did everything, especially when most of the decisions that killed the franchise were made before MacT was involved. MacT is actually one of the best coaches the franchise has had, and this will not be forgotten. Kevin Lowe has done seemingly everything in his power to make the fanbase dislike him, and mostly succeeded. I still think he's all right. He may yet have the last laugh.

Putting criticism where it belongs does not mean we hate anyone.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

I think it all goes back to Lowe. He hired Tambo and Mac-T whom made so many bad decisions, but I think that #2 had a much larger negative impact on our team than #1.

The minute Eakins showed up it didn't seem like he'd won anyone over. We're a young team and he's telling us that fitness was going to be the key to our young inexperienced players learning how to play the game? It was crazy.

I can remember Sam Gagner saying that he'd never worked so hard in practices, but I think he was just saying that to give the coach some respect. Like what coach doesn't have players practice to the point where they're incredibly tired? You're supposed to work harder during practices so that the games are easier and so that you're team doesn't lose their nerve in the middle of the game like they did during 90% of the games that Eakins coached.

I can remember people telling me about his defensive habits in the d-zone and it was just hilarious watching this being employed in the minors. It's like "OK, whenever we don't have the puck just jump in front of the net and hope that your body stops the puck and that the right guy gets possession. I honestly don't get how he gets off being so confident during an interview after landing another AHL job.

He'll have to move heaven and earth to get another shot at the NHL and when that happens we're going to be having a pretty good laugh at his expense if it doesn't turn out.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Everybody is at fault......the entire organization from Katz on down.

Let it go and concentrate on the immediate future plan of the Oiler organization.

You do realize that Katz, Mactavish, and Lowe are still around right? It's not like the organization actually cut ties and sent them on their way. They are still hanging around and very likely will have an influence on the team going forward in the immediate future plans of the Oilers organization, an influence we can only hope Chiarelli will be able to minimize.

Why does it bother you that people want to revisit the extremely recent history of the rebuild years though? Not exactly a huge amount of Oiler related news to talk about during the annual non-playoff participating period leading up to the draft.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Now he apparently is in Public Relations.:shakehead
Great place to put somebody everyone hates.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Umm... I don't hate Lowe or MacT. I've been cheering for them since the early/mid-80s, and I like them both in general. I also think MacT wasn't given a fair shake as GM (which is fair play, since he didn't give Krueger a fair shake), and I don't like how everyone assumes "Lowe and MacTavish" did everything, especially when most of the decisions that killed the franchise were made before MacT was involved. MacT is actually one of the best coaches the franchise has had, and this will not be forgotten. Kevin Lowe has done seemingly everything in his power to make the fanbase dislike him, and mostly succeeded. I still think he's all right. He may yet have the last laugh.

Unfortunately some people do hate them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Now he apparently is in Public Relations.:shakehead
Great place to put somebody everyone hates.

haha, good catch.

Belongs in the stranger than fiction category.

A lot of times I think this org is trolling us.

STH: I'm not happy with my SN club package, I don't think I'm getting good value here for the product.

KLowe: Love it or leave it, hockey heartland, you can pay 200K to get out of your contract, screw you and the horse you rode in on. Winning.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
haha, good catch.

Belongs in the stranger than fiction category.

A lot of times I think this org is trolling us.

STH: I'm not happy with my SN club package, I don't think I'm getting good value here for the product.

KLowe: Love it or leave it, hockey heartland, you can pay 200K to get out of your contract, screw you and the horse you rode in on. Winning.

but klowe has a tonne of experience in this field...

ugh kevin people hate the oilers because of this...

well when i was hated because of that i told everyone i know a thing or 2 about winning so what are they complaining about

they think the hot dogs are stale

tell them that every arena in the league would trade their hotdogs for our hotdogs and if they need confirmation on tht i know a thing or 2 about weeners.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
The biggest problems came from the same ridiculous hiring methods.

Kevin Lowe hired Craig MacTavish without looking at other options.

Craig MacTavish hired Eakins without looking at other options.

Those two hirings set the franchise back to the start of the rebuild.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The biggest problems came from the same ridiculous hiring methods.

Kevin Lowe hired Craig MacTavish without looking at other options.

Craig MacTavish hired Eakins without looking at other options.

Those two hirings set the franchise back to the start of the rebuild.

And who hired Kevin Lowe without looking at other options?

EIG, who was looking to save money after they could no longer afford Sather, who was ousted as part of a power struggle in EIG management. Lowe then was given more power when Katz bought the team probably because he was given too much credit for the miracle SCF run in 2006.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

EIG, who was looking to save money after they could no longer afford Sather, who was ousted as part of a power struggle in EIG management. Lowe then was given more power when Katz bought the team probably because he was given too much credit for the miracle SCF run in 2006.

Yeah, there's always something else to add to the problem, but in the context of what went wrong with the rebuild, and not the Oilers as a whole, I still would focus on Mactavish and Eakins. There could be an argument that the year prior with Krueger there was progression. Mactavish and Eakins reversed whatever strides that team had made, and quite clearly made the team worse.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I actually think Lowe was a decent manager during the EIG...he had his faults (Comrie fiasco)
but he found Staios, traded for Pronger, Peca, Spacek, Roloson, Anson Carter

the Pronger trade broke his brain...his obsession with "big game" hunting hurt everything else he did
like trading Smyth, chasing Hossa and helping Tambo chase Heatley...really hurt what the Oilers needed, small calculated moves that got the team better

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Yeah, there's always something else to add to the problem, but in the context of what went wrong with the rebuild, and not the Oilers as a whole, I still would focus on Mactavish and Eakins. There could be an argument that the year prior with Krueger there was progression. Mactavish and Eakins reversed whatever strides that team had made, and quite clearly made the team worse.

I just want to remind everyone that Lowe was internally promoted to GM in order for EIG to save money. His only credential were him having a decent year as head coach. EIG also went cheap on the AHL situation, resulting in those awkward player sharing situations, which damaged the franchise further.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
KLowe, KLowe, KLowe. The biggest leach in pro-sports, and he still sux the life out of this organization.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

Why is EIG getting free ride? EIG are the ones that destroyed the team by being too cheap.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Gudbranson. Former 3rd overall pick. Hits like a truck. Logging 23 minutes a night in the playoffs, still young, 6'5 and tons of character. Natural right side dman. I think he would have been a perfect fit on the Oil. Solid second pairing guy with lots of room to grow into a no.2 top pairing shut down guy.

Canucks nabbed him for a 2nd and recent late 1st round pick who wasnt really ripping it up...(McCann's development was on track to a 2C best case but likely a two-way 3C who can chip in).

Throughout the year, there were mutliple threads posted on HF boards ... FLA wanted the moon for him but their return was just mediocre. How did Edmonton not try to outbid Vancouver there????

I don't get it... Fla wanted to maximize their return.... If Edm could have easily beat that package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad