Where does this era of the Hawks rank all-time in Chicago?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Right now I think they have to be 2nd behind the 90's Bulls. Its close with the 80's Bears and maybe I'm projecting a bit, but I think they have or will pass them up. I think 2nd is probably where they'll stay as they'd have to do something incredible to ever pass the Bulls of that era.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
Second only to the Bulls.

I like hockey a LOT more than hoops though, so...

Also, it's a whole lot easier to win multiple and back to back (to back) NBA titles than it is Cups.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
We won't touch the Bulls run. They won six in nine years and if Jordan hadn't retired halfway through they probably would have added another title to that resume.

This is the golden era of Blackhawk hockey though. We likely never see a group this good again.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
There's a large segment of Chicago's population that hockey just isn't going to penetrate very far in to. Therefore the Hawks are 3rd (even though they're probably #1 to all of us reading here).

That leaves the Bears 85 Super Bowl and Jordan's dynasty. Individually nothing comes even close to the 85 Bears. Collectively with 6 championships and the best basketball player ever, the Bulls dynasty probably gets the nod.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
There's a large segment of Chicago's population that hockey just isn't going to penetrate very far in to. Therefore the Hawks are 3rd (even though they're probably #1 to all of us reading here).

That leaves the Bears 85 Super Bowl and Jordan's dynasty. Individually nothing comes even close to the 85 Bears. Collectively with 6 championships and the best basketball player ever, the Bulls dynasty probably gets the nod.

Not talking about popularity, I'm talking about achievement. The point is, everyone better really enjoy what they are seeing. This is greatness that has rarely been seen in Chicago.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If they win 2-3 more cups that puts them right there with the Bulls in my opinion. Maybe doesn't put them past them, but gets them pretty damn close.

They'd almost have to do that in consecutive years to get close to the Bulls. If they win 2 Cups over the next 8 years, solidify second. If they win 3 over the next 4-5 years....now you're challenging for the top spot.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
If they win 2-3 more cups that puts them right there with the Bulls in my opinion. Maybe doesn't put them past them, but gets them pretty damn close.

I agree with this. I think the Hawks have a great shot at winning a couple more during the Kane/Toews/Keith era. We're very lucky to have this team.

I did consider those early Cubs teams

Ha I was just joking.

I wish people would stop going on and on about the 85 Bears. Yes, that was a dominant team, and they had some good teams in the 80s, but they won one damn Super Bowl. You'd think they were as dominant as the 90s Bulls.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
In terms if just shear impressiveness, Bulls dynasties > Cubs dynasty/prolonged success (the team in the 1880s & 1900s) > current Hawks, and I say that as someone that doesn't like the NBA.

Of course, in terms of celebration, the Bears or Cubs winning again would just be beyond huge in the city. And the 85 Bears will always hold a special legendary mystique, but hard to compare that really to two in four years or hopefully three in five years.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Unless they win 3-4 more cups (or 1-2 with some finals appearances mixed in) they aren't touching the 90's Bulls dynasty. I won't count playoff appearances because I don't feel like looking those up for each team :laugh: but I will count finals appearances (cause that is still one of the ultimate goals, winning of course, is the goal) so I'd rank them as..

1990's Bulls (x6 championships)
1940's Bears (x4 championships, x5 finals appearances) x5 championships and x6 finals appearances if you include the Chicago Cardinals
1900's Cubs (x2 championships, x3 finals appearances)
1930's Black Hawks (x2 championships, x3 finals appearances) - you can flip flop both those era's.. only reason I put them below the 1900's Cubs was cause of the '38 team
2010's Blackhawks (x2 championships) - still pending of course
1920's Bears (x1 championship, x6 finals appearances) x2 championships and x7 final appearances if you count the Chicago Cardinals.
1910's White Sox (x1 championship, x2 finals appearances)

And then you have your one time champions who were a bit disappointing in potential dynasties (60's Black Hawks [and I can't stress them enough], 60's Bears, 80's Bears, and I'll even include the 2000's White Sox in there, although that's very debatable.. sigh) and some who were in the finals more than once, but didn't win it (30's Cubs, 70's Black Hawks)

Now, this is what I grade on championships and appearances alone which I believe is the most important. If people want to argue playoff appearances, parity in each league, which championship is/was the hardest to get, etc. be my guest.

Oh and kind of OT, but everyone forgets the Cubs and White Sox were basically the kings of baseball in the early 1900s. Great history to look at/read about there.

Last edited:

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
In terms of popularity? Visibility? If those are the measuring sticks when Michael Jordan and Da Super Fans are still headlining national ad campaigns in 2013, the Hawks still have a lot of ground to make up.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Unless they win 3-4 more cups (or 1-2 with some finals appearances mixed in) they aren't touching the 90's Bulls dynasty. I won't count playoff appearances because I don't feel like looking those up for each team :laugh: but I will count finals appearances (cause that is still one of the ultimate goals, winning of course, is the goal) so I'd rank them as..

1990's Bulls (x6 championships)
1940's Bears (x4 championships, x5 finals appearances) x5 championships and x6 finals appearances if you include the Chicago Cardinals
1900's Cubs (x2 championships, x3 finals appearances)
1930's Black Hawks (x2 championships, x3 finals appearances) - you can flip flop both those era's.. only reason I put them below the 1900's Cubs was cause of the '38 team
2010's Blackhawks (x2 championships) - still pending of course
1920's Bears (x1 championship, x6 finals appearances) x2 championships and x7 final appearances if you count the Chicago Cardinals.
1910's White Sox (x1 championship, x2 finals appearances)

And then you have your one time champions who were a bit disappointing in potential dynasties (60's Black Hawks [and I can't stress them enough], 60's Bears, 80's Bears, and I'll even include the 2000's White Sox in there, although that's very debatable.. sigh) and some who were in the finals more than once, but didn't win it (30's Cubs, 70's Black Hawks)

Now, this is what I grade on championships and appearances alone which I believe is the most important. If people want to argue playoff appearances, parity in each league, which championship is/was the hardest to get, etc. be my guest.

Oh and kind of OT, but everyone forgets the Cubs and White Sox were basically the kings of baseball in the early 1900s. Great history to look at/read about there.

It was hard for me to include teams from the early part of this century since a trip to the Finals in some sports meant winning 1 playoff series and in the case of baseball and football, 0.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
It was hard for me to include teams from the early part of this century since a trip to the Finals in some sports meant winning 1 playoff series and in the case of baseball and football, 0.

It's still a championship anyway you slice it. You think that's gonna stop Canadian fans for pimping up their championships to people despite being no parity in the league in the early 18-1900s or them stealing every good French-Canadian player in the early 50s-70s?

Or the Red Sox betting on (and stealing) almost every world series they played in the early 1910's (the Black Sox were not the first ones to do it, like many naive fans think, they just got caught doing it) Same with the 2000's Patriots teams as far as cheating.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Apparently Boston offered the Sox the Babe 1st but the cheap old man didn't want to do a cash deal, only wanted to deal players.

We coulda been the fkn Yankees :shakehead

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
We won't touch the Bulls run. They won six in nine years and if Jordan hadn't retired halfway through they probably would have added another title to that resume.

This is the golden era of Blackhawk hockey though. We likely never see a group this good again.

Correction = 6 titles in 8 years

And before that run the Bulls also advanced to 2 ECF's that they lost to the Pistons (in 7 games and 6 games)

So the Bulls advanced to ECF 8 times in a 10 years span ,, That is pretty damn impressive

Also lets not forget Hue Hollins phantom foul that screwed Bulls in 94 playoffs vs Knicks.. If that doesn't happen the Bulls would have been in ECF that year and possibly returned to finals without Jordan

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Not talking about popularity, I'm talking about achievement. The point is, everyone better really enjoy what they are seeing. This is greatness that has rarely been seen in Chicago.

If it's just achievement, then it's probably not even a discussion. The Bulls winning 6 titles in 9 years is as good as it gets. At least in this town and in my lifetime.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Bulls 1st, current Hawks 2nd IMO. In a league with 5 or 6 true contenders (Wings, Pens, Boston, LA, San Jose . . . A couple others close back [Anaheim, Washington]) . . . What the present-day Blackhawks have done is remarkable. If they earn even one more championship with this group that solidifies them at #2 for sure IMO. Add in the other titles during this era and you've got more than a special group - it's bordering on a Wingsesque dynasty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad