Where does Rielly sit for Leaf Defencemen?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
remember those 2 post lockout years were the years of PP time near doubling because of the interference crackdown.

Kaberle and Mccabe both played TWELVE minutes per game on special teams that year, compared to less than 4 for rielly. they actually played 2 minutes less than rielly at even strength.

they weren't sheltered but few dmen ever get the extreme usage that Rielly gets.

This is kind of sidestepping the situation though, they're still 60 or 65 minute games.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
At present it is Rielly, but that's based on what we've seen and an extremely average group top to bottom.

Over the past 30 years, tough to say since they've changed the rules so much and each year they remove some physicality.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Too lazy to look-it-up, but I don't think Kabs ever played the ultra-tough minutes defesnively Rielly is.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Rielly is probably not the best D on this year's team, let alone all the way back to Salming.
Lol by a mile he is! And best since Salming. Broke into the Leaf playing on the right side and did so for 3 plus years playing with hot garbage for partners and was never sheltered much at all after his first 30 games. Look at his playing partners it is a list of who’s who in the worse D man we have had over the last 6 years or so. This year they took a broke down 3rd pair d man his whole career and played him with Rielly. The year before with a player fresh out of the KHL who struggled badly and those were his best partners.

He spent the last half of the year before Zeitsev arrived playing with Marincin and made him look great and Hunwick both on the top pair and before that Polak and Franson. Paul Ranger, Tim Gleason, Robidas and Polak were also his partners at different times. He also played with Gardiner for a stretch of games and they did well together.

Rielly has never had the opportunity to grown into the NHL he made the jump straight from the WHL into the poop storm that was the Leafs and played on his off side something that gets lost on most on here all the while playing with poor skaters who were at best a number 6 or worse D man in the NHL and yet still developed into what we see today and he is a great D man who is very underrated especially on here.

One last thing he has done all of this while providing leadership on and off the ice and he is only 24 years old. I am bias 100% but in this case I am also correct.

Reactions: saltming

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Too lazy to look-it-up, but I don't think Kabs ever played the ultra-tough minutes defesnively Rielly is.
Yeah, not too sure how many of his minutes were in the d-zone. But he did play a lot of freaking minutes. I mean he had to have at least a decent amount of d-zone starts when averaging 28:10 per game in the 05-06 season. Yes, he averaged over 28 minutes per game that season.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
eh, neither kabs nor McCabe were ever used as the extreme usage matchup guys like Mo is. neither was Murphy.

svehla was, I'll grant you. but he was old and past his prime.
Pretty sure Kabs was used as a matchup D coming out of the lockout for a few years and did well.

Svehla also played with Kabs from what I remember

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
McCabe and Phaneuf were a lot alike. Tried too hard, low IQ, hard, inaccurate shots. Overpaid.

Ignore all that and they were really good defensemen.

Kind of, but when McCabe was on he was a lot better offensively. Phaneuf never got in a real groove his entire time, where as McCabe could catch fire and look like a superstar games in a row.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Honestly, listening to him in is interviews from today, he's the Captain in my opinion. I don't think he will get it but the guy would deserve it any pretty much any other situation.

Reactions: meefer

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Honestly, listening to him in is interviews from today, he's the Captain in my opinion. I don't think he will get it but the guy would deserve it any pretty much any other situation.
Yeah it's a really weird situation having guys like Kadri & Rielly who would be guaranteed to be the top 2 captains getting pushed out of spots by the new & newish Cs because they're the cream of the crop

But it's a situation I love

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
McCabe and Phaneuf were a lot alike. Tried too hard, low IQ, hard, inaccurate shots. Overpaid.

Ignore all that and they were really good defensemen.
McCabe was much better than the Phaneuf we got in Toronto. Perhaps his early years in Calgary

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Rielly is just hitting stride now going into his 24 year old season. He could eventually be debated as being very close to salming when his carrer is in the books.

I always though he reminds me of Brian Leetch and now he is getting points like crazy and looks closet to being Leetch every year.

65 points next year wouldn't surprise me. Could prop him much more but for context New Jersey gave up Henrique for Vatanen and Rielly out scored both last year and is 3 years and 4 years younger camparably.

He's good, really good.

A true number 1 defenseman and getting better.

WillyFirstofhisName

Mar 1, 2016
Rielly is just hitting stride now going into his 24 year old season. He could eventually be debated as being very close to salming when his carrer is in the books.

I always though he reminds me of Brian Leetch and now he is getting points like crazy and looks closet to being Leetch every year.

65 points next year wouldn't surprise me. Could prop him much more but for context New Jersey gave up Henrique for Vatanen and Rielly out scored both last year and is 3 years and 4 years younger camparably.

He's good, really good.

A true number 1 defenseman and getting better.

He's better than Kaberle was at the same age. And the Leetch comparison is probably the closest to Rielly's playstyle. If we get Keith and Karlsson-lite out of Dermott and Liljegren, I don't think we'd be so shallow in the long run with what we have right now

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad