Where does Rielly sit for Leaf Defencemen?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Over the last 30 years. So since 1988. Let's keep it to players who weren't rentals although the Leafs haven't really had a ton of success with defensive rentals.

Edit* Way to late for me to be posting apparently as I couldn't even do simple math. Meant to say 30 years of course.

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Wooof, not a great complement of players since then.

In no order, here are the contenders IMO:

Kaberle
McCabe
Iafrate
T. Gill
Ellett
Rielly
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Yushkevich
Svehla
Markov

Safe to say Rielly is top-5?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
best since salming
And so underrated here it is criminal. Not only a great player but as low as maintenance as you can get. Never complains, never refuses an interview or signing autographs, says all the things a good team mates says. Plays either side of the ice equal as well. What ever a coach asks him to do he will. Carlyle want him to hit more he did. Babcock wanted him to play conservative and he does. A coaches dream and I know from experience!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I dont know if id put him in front of Kaberle yet
Well Kaberle was very good he however lack the stones to take a check to make a play. Both good skaters and good passer. The difference is that Rielly is a more dynamic skater as well is more physical and will shoot the puck something Kaberle hardly did. As well as Kaberle played with much better D partners.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Assuming he is not a cyborg, he sits on his butt like the rest of us.
I'm glad someone posted this to the title of the thread.
I also would have accepted, well, if he's not sleeping on Oz, I guess he sits in his designated spot in the locker room.

Reactions: Bluelines

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Their best defence...and maybe the best group of Dmen had since the 1967, was in early 90s.
Rouse and Lefevyre. Gill and Ellett, McCouen and Mironov. I know I missed someone.
Collectively that was great group. I know folks talk about having this mystical # 1 Dman that will bring a team success, but especially in the cap era, having a six competent Dman and they might be just #2 and # 3 according to the inane rating system, might be the best way to build a successful team.

Reilly could the Ellett in the new look Leafs. You wouldn't know by looking at the names above, but Rouse, Gill even Lefevyre and McCouen....really tough players. Good Dmen and when riled, mean.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Our early 90's D was very solid as a group, but I don't think any ONE player stands out for me as better than Rielly.

However, I still think Morgan has a way to go before I put him ahead of Kaberle. I think he'll get there eventually.

Kaberle was smart, cold as ice and smooth as silk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad