Where does "Pull the Goalie" rank?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The inventiveness of chants has declined since the early seasons. So it was good to hear "Pull the Goalie" in game 1. I thought "We Want Florida" would've been great when the Leafs were here. I personally enjoyed "Silver Medal".

Where does "Pull the Goalie" rank?

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I was watching from home, and the fans were having a blast, but I thought they were also being too cocky considering COL had earlier scored 2 goals in 12 seconds, and they took over the game with the extra man.

MacKinnon is not the player I want to be taunting with like 8min left in the game.

Plus when they did pull, we didn’t get the ENG, and that almost got us.

But in terms of the OP question, I don’t think it ranks as high as some of the classics in terms of creativity. Silver Medal, Katy Perry, Crosby’s Better, etc.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I was watching from home, and the fans were having a blast, but I thought they were also being too cocky considering COL had earlier scored 2 goals in 12 seconds, and they took over the game with the extra man.

MacKinnon is not the player I want to be taunting with like 8min left in the game.

But in terms of the OP question, I don’t think it ranks as high as some of the classics in terms of creativity. Silver Medal, Katy Perry, Crosby’s Better, etc.
Mario's Poolboy was also a beauty.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
"Crosby's better", chanted at Ovechkin, was a pretty good one, too.
The problem is that after this chant, Ovi scored and I'm pretty sure we lost the game. Same thing happened when "Jordan's Better" was chanted at Eric Staal, he played better. These chants are great, I do love them, but it can backfire which can be embarrassing. I think "Silver Medal" and "Who's Your Captain" are two of the best. "Katy Perry" was stupid.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The problem is that after this chant, Ovi scored and I'm pretty sure we lost the game. Same thing happened when "Jordan's Better" was chanted at Eric Staal, he played better. These chants are great, I do love them, but it can backfire which can be embarrassing. I think "Silver Medal" and "Who's Your Captain" are two of the best. "Katy Perry" was stupid.
I remember reading that the Canes were chanting "Jordan's better" at Eric in the dressing room after they beat us and they all had a good laugh about it

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I think the 'Canes beat the Jets when the "Jordan's better" chant was used, but I'm almost positive the Jets won decisively the game they chanted "Crosby's better" at Ovechkin.

It was a long time ago, though, so I concede that I might be completely wrong about this. It was still funny.

Reactions: Brominator

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
I think the 'Canes beat the Jets when the "Jordan's better" chant was used, but I'm almost positive the Jets won decisively the game they chanted "Crosby's better" at Ovechkin.

It was a long time ago, though, so I concede that I might be completely wrong about this. It was still funny.
That's my memory too. The game we chanted "Crosby's better" we beat Washington and Ovi was a non-factor in the game.

The beauty of that chant in particular is that it didn't matter if the Jets were winning or losing or even if Ovi had a good game against us. Jets were mostly bad then, but in our opinion, Crosby WAS better. Can't argue with that!

Edit: Confirmed - Jets won that game and Ovi was held pointless.

Last edited:

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG

That's fair - we definitely don't want to light a fire under MacKinnon et al more than they already have. But I think the "pull the goalie" chant is rightfully making fun of Colorado's goaltending woes in general. This type of chant can really mess with a goalie's psyche... especially a goalie who has been chased from the crease many times this season. Read their forum - they are all pretty much in agreement that even if they can get past the Jets and win this series, there's no way they win a cup with that dumpster fire of a situation they have between the pipes.

Hopefully jeering Four-giev(7-giev?) will shake him even more. Can also take the Avs off their game when they know they can't make a mistake defensively.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I would expect Helle to get a bit of a serenade on the road. We will see if the stone cold one can handle it.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Chants are okay when the game is a blow out or ending but I would bet the majority of the time especially when the game is close or early ... the player gets the last laugh. Just look at the last 2 games ... Avs almost came back 3 goals down with 8 mins left and who had the last laugh yesterday.
Did the Jets ever beat the Sabres when they came to CLC with Kane?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad