Speculation: Where does PLDs contract end up at?

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Tough one to evaluate not a lot of comparables for a bonafide top 6 C coming off of a bridge.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I had him pegged around 70-80 pts prior to the season starting. He's ppg pace right now but still lots of hockey left. If he finishes in that range though I think ~8m would be fair.

Reactions: surixon

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I had him pegged around 70-80 pts prior to the season starting. He's ppg pace right now but still lots of hockey left. If he finishes in that range I think 7.5m-8m would be fair.
That’s a bit low especially 7.5 for a centre who can play 1b.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Well Suzuki signed at 7.75 for eight years. PLD is significantly better, of course, but I guess that’s the comp.

Reactions: Flair Hay

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
somewhere in the 8s

Seems ballpark reasonable. Now can the cap geniuses on the board tell us how that fits?

I can't think of anyone coming off the books that makes it easy. I assume Copp is gone because we cannot pay him AND Dubois.

If Perfetti is ready next season, I guess that fills the gap in one way or another.

Do we re-sign Statsny and if so at $3+ again?

Boo-boo is likely gone but most of his salary is picked up by bringing up Samberg or Heinola (btw, how do we fit both those guys in next year when everyone other than Boo-Boo is signed?)

Svechnikov, Harkins, Nash, Vesalainen all need to be signed. Nobody too expensive there but Svech might be due for a raise. Let someone go (Nash but VETZ) and bring up someone from the A? No real savings there.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Seems ballpark reasonable. Now can the cap geniuses on the board tell us how that fits?

I can't think of anyone coming off the books that makes it easy. I assume Copp is gone because we cannot pay him AND Dubois.

If Perfetti is ready next season, I guess that fills the gap in one way or another.

Do we re-sign Statsny and if so at $3+ again?

Boo-boo is likely gone but most of his salary is picked up by bringing up Samberg or Heinola (btw, how do we fit both those guys in next year when everyone other than Boo-Boo is signed?)

Svechnikov, Harkins, Nash, Vesalainen all need to be signed. Nobody too expensive there but Svech might be due for a raise. Let someone go (Nash but VETZ) and bring up someone from the A? No real savings there.
They are going to have to move Dillion, move Stan up as he brings same as Dillion and Heinola plays with Demelo. Stas is replaced by ves so ves Lowry Harkins, Gus takes ves spot and they replace Nash with another vet.

Reactions: Flair Hay

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
They are going to have to move Dillion, move Stan up as he brings same as Dillion and Heinola plays with Demelo. Stas is replaced by ves so ves Lowry Harkins, Gus takes ves spot and they replace Nash with another vet.

Not a very TNSE approach. I get that hockey is a business, but TNSE operates more on loyalty to players than any other franchise. Both DeMelo and Dillon were signed to middle term contracts and my impression is they are more likely to honor those contracts. DeMelo also has a modifed NTC. So they move Dillon a year after he was brought in or find conditions to move DeMelo? Maybe I'm totally wrong but I don't think the Jets move on from either guy next year.

I haven't thought of Vesalainen as an adequate replacement for Stats and I'm among the biggest Ves supporters on the board. Ves is an RFA and unless he starts popping some points he'll be pretty cheap to re-sign on a bridge so I do fully expect him on the team (I also think he's doing exactly what the Jets are asking of him). Stastny is also C, so if we're losing Copp and don't re-sign Stastny we're down two C. Ves doesn't fill that hole by any measure. Harkins is likely to be retained on a lower salary, sure.

On the subject of Stanley, I do not think he brings the same as Dillon. Not yet at least. I'm as impressed with him as the next guy, but he's third pairing at this point. His salary says that TNSE thinks the same thing. I hope he gets there but he isn't there yet. I also don't see Heinola playing the same game as 6'4" 225 lb Dillon.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There are alot of comps for him with regards to players coming off a bridge deal.

I'll have to look into it a bit more tomorrow.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Not a very TNSE approach. I get that hockey is a business, but TNSE operates more on loyalty to players than any other franchise. Both DeMelo and Dillon were signed to middle term contracts and my impression is they are more likely to honor those contracts. DeMelo also has a modifed NTC. So they move Dillon a year after he was brought in or find conditions to move DeMelo? Maybe I'm totally wrong but I don't think the Jets move on from either guy next year.

I haven't thought of Vesalainen as an adequate replacement for Stats and I'm among the biggest Ves supporters on the board. Ves is an RFA and unless he starts popping some points he'll be pretty cheap to re-sign on a bridge so I do fully expect him on the team (I also think he's doing exactly what the Jets are asking of him). Stastny is also C, so if we're losing Copp and don't re-sign Stastny we're down two C. Ves doesn't fill that hole by any measure. Harkins is likely to be retained on a lower salary, sure.

On the subject of Stanley, I do not think he brings the same as Dillon. Not yet at least. I'm as impressed with him as the next guy, but he's third pairing at this point. His salary says that TNSE thinks the same thing. I hope he gets there but he isn't there yet. I also don't see Heinola playing the same game as 6'4" 225 lb Dillon.
We aren’t playing stas as a centre tho. Copp is the second line centre Lowry the third. What does Dillion bring that Stanley doesn’t? More physicality? More offence?
Salary is not a good way to judge as teams hope they can underpay a player’s worth or the player exceeds value. I thought Dillion was brought in as a stop measure for Samberg and Heinola. To hold onto him out of loyalty after they don’t need him is silly. They also needed to bring in someone with some kind of contract. You could be right though.
back to salary.
For instance, kfc is paid 7 mil but his play right now these last 18 games could warrant 8 mil. We lose stas and Copp we are bringing up two centres in Gus and Perfetti.

Reactions: FonRiesen

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
much more likely to move demelo then dillon
I think handedness should factor in and we have more rhd or led shots I’m tired, in Samberg, Heinola, Stanley, Morissey. Other side for depth we have kov. Isn’t demelo earning less. So in order to retain more talent I’d rather keep demelo. Especially since he has shown to be a steadying influence with young guys and Heinola needs somewhere to break in.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I think handedness should factor in and we have more rhd or led shots I’m tired, in Samberg, Heinola, Stanley, Morissey. Other side for depth we have kov. Isn’t demelo earning less. So in order to retain more talent I’d rather keep demelo. Especially since he has shown to be a steadying influence with young guys and Heinola needs somewhere to break in.
none of which have shown they can play top 4 mins and that includes stanley , demelo is good but hes not playing above schmidt or pionk and he gets paid too much for the bottom pairing so if we need to move on from a defensemen it will be him and not someone who is in our top 4

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
none of which have shown they can play top 4 mins and that includes stanley , demelo is good but hes not playing above schmidt or pionk and he gets paid too much for the bottom pairing so if we need to move on from a defensemen it will be him and not someone who is in our top 4
So what would it take to get a chance to prove it, for morrissey or Dillion to be injured for a significant amount of time or can you look at Stanley’s good numbers on the 3rd pair and extrapolate, that yeah maybe he could play bottom 4 instead of just 3rd pairing?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
So what would it take to get a chance to prove it, for morrissey or Dillion to be injured for a significant amount of time or can you look at Stanley’s good numbers on the 3rd pair and extrapolate, that yeah maybe he could play bottom 4 instead of just 3rd pairing?
yeah, an injury would be the only way for them to prove it right now because we are in win now mode, were not going to get rid of someone we know can play in top4 for someone who might be able to play in the top 4 just to keep our bottom pairing defensemen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
PLD will make astounding sums of money - he is already a remarkable player, on his way to becoming elite. The guy thrives with great linemates, and is that rarest of creatures in that he potentiates and complements their performances by creating so much open ice. I hope he stays a Jet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad