Value of: Where does Monahan sign as a Free Agent?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Monahan is a 3c on any playoff team, unless he comes cheap no interest in resigning him (Jets have more important positions/players to spend cap on). Slow, not a great shot, only ok defensively but good at FO's and PP. In meaningful games his weaknesses got exposed. IMO

And that’s a very specific kind of third line.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
He was a really good glue piece for us. Gave us a competent bumper on PP, just a unspectacular well rounded player.

I'd be surprised if the Jets were not in on him and trying to pay to move Schmidt's money out
The Jets were playoff bound before wasting assets acquiring him, and he did nothing in the playoffs… wasting cap on him instead of actually addressing our need of a true 2C would be stupid…
Let Monahan walk, trade/buyout Schmidt, move Iafallo, and maybe Namestnikov… gives us cap to address our biggest needs of 2C and top 4 RHD.
But Chevy is an out of touch idiot so he will likely waste money extending Monahan

Last edited:

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I think he will get a lot more interest than what we all think if he is willing to sign a one or two year deal.

He is a middle six stopgap type of center. Specializes in faceoffs and on the power play. Multiple teams could be in on him.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I don't see him back in Montreal. He's probably looking for term and to play on a contender, while the habs definitely won't give him term with Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Evans and Dvorak all playing centre, with Owen Beck knocking at the door.
And as good as he was for both teams during the regular season, he's not built for the pace of the playoffs. Habs are building a fast team and he doesn't fit the timeline

Reactions: BLONG7

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He's probably gonna get a Gustav Nyquist type of offer, 4 or 5 years at 4 or 4 or 5 million. This will be his last chance at signing big, so he will try to secure a longer term in 4 or 5 year. I'm gonna guess, that Washington will be interested. Give Ovie a playmaker for Ovie OR I think Columbus might make a move and sign him to play with Gaudreau . I also believe Florida and Tampa might be in interested ONLY AS A BACKUP if Tampa doesn't sign Stamkos and if Florida fails to sign Reinhart. I also think Seattle might try to land him. I originallly was thinking he might be an option for Vegas or Nashville but his one sided play might not interest their gms but who knows. I also think Islanders might be interested in him to add to their second line.

My guess,
Washington Columbus, Islanders and Seattle.
Boston needs centermans too, not sure if Monahan would fit that style though.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I kind of hope the Blues sign him on a short term deal as our stop gap 2C while Dvorsky matures. Since we're not going to be a contender for a bit, I don't mind a pricier contract, say 3x6, just so long as it's short.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Even if he wasn't an impact guy in the playoffs, I can't see the Jets not pushing to re-sign him. Doesn't mean they win out, but they will try I believe.

Shouldn't be used as a 2C for a contender. That was the issue with the Jets and yeah, they faced the Avs who had an early exit last year and are very hungry this playoffs.

There will be lots of interest with Monahan. I bet the Avs knock on the door and see if he is interested in a 2 year value contract. Habs would welcome him back on a value contract. Maybe 3x $3.5 range but he will have lots of offers like this. Does he want to join the Habs and chase a wild card spot or does he want to join a team who have a much better shot at the playoffs.

What is Monahan after?
* 4 years at $4-$5M from a non playoff team
or
* 2 years at $3M from a contender/playoff team

I kind of hope the Blues sign him on a short term deal as our stop gap 2C while Dvorsky matures. Since we're not going to be a contender for a bit, I don't mind a pricier contract, say 3x6, just so long as it's short.

If you offer 3x $6M, you probably get him to sign.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He's probably gonna get a Gustav Nyquist type of offer, 4 or 5 years at 4 or 4 or 5 million. This will be his last chance at signing big, so he will try to secure a longer term in 4 or 5 year. I'm gonna guess, that Washington will be interested. Give Ovie a playmaker for Ovie OR I think Columbus might make a move and sign him to play with Gaudreau . I also believe Florida and Tampa might be in interested ONLY AS A BACKUP if Tampa doesn't sign Stamkos and if Florida fails to sign Reinhart. I also think Seattle might try to land him. I originallly was thinking he might be an option for Vegas or Nashville but his one sided play might not interest their gms but who knows. I also think Islanders might be interested in him to add to their second line.

My guess,
Washington Columbus, Islanders
And he gets traded to either the Oilers/Canucks at the deadline

Monahan was not on Canucks radar as per Rich Dhaliwal. I am assuming Tocchet is not a fan of his on e dimensional play. Unlikely we will target him against next year if hes available.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
My guess is Winnipeg or Montreal at $4.5M for three years.
If you're talking $4.5 million over three years ($1.5 average), the Canadiens should definitely sign him, although I'm thinking you mean $4.5 million/season. I believe Monahan will be getting more than what you've offered and will likely want to sign with the team offering the most money and best chance of winning a Stanley Cup.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Wondering about Toronto? If they trade one of core 4? Monahan fixes their powerplay, gives them depth down middle.

Toronto doesn't need to trade one of their core 4 to make room. Give some of Bert's 5.5, I doubt they ink him for that again.

Good on the experienced player, good at FO, 3rd line C with some offence, 2nd line PP time, could fit some needs for the Leafs.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Toronto doesn't need to trade one of their core 4 to make room. Give some of Bert's 5.5, I doubt they ink him for that again.

Good on the experienced player, good at FO, 3rd line C with some offence, 2nd line PP time, could fit some needs for the Leafs.
Leafs need fix defense too

Reactions: Tarmore

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets were playoff bound before wasting assets acquiring him, and he did nothing in the playoffs… wasting cap on him instead of actually addressing our need of a true 2C would be stupid…
Let Monahan walk, trade/buyout Schmidt, move Iafallo, and maybe Namestnikov… gives us cap to address our biggest needs of 2C and top 4 RHD.
But Chevy is an out of touch idiot so he will likely waste money extending Monahan
Not even refuting any of the points here. It doesn't make me any more or less correct in what I said originally

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Leafs need fix defense too
Shhhhh.......................
All jokes aside, people have been telling them this, for years and they haven't.
Treliving will probably buck the trend and try to fix the D.......................the weird part was this season the leafs scored a ton of goals, and in the playoffs, zip.......nothing,
There were injuries yes, but their forwards who earn big money, did nothing.....

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Utah has cap space and Monahan has that electric Utah personality. Mormonhan sweaters will be flying off the shelves.

Reactions: Devonator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad