Speculation: Where does JVR end up next season?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I mean he's not gonna out and out demand it but I reckon he'll try and heavily persuade Dubas to do it, if he wants Leo back.

Leo will be offered a 2 year deal at a much reduced rate I think they've already decided that, JvR is effective in his role, but is not going to be worth what he'll want, and certainly not worth that number against the Leafs cap projections going forward

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
cheap shot:rolleyes: read the papers sonny, he wants to pay an NHL GM 400k to manage the hockey club ...average salary of an NHL GM is a little north of 1.5m, 400k is an insult

Billionaire schmillionaire, like all of corporate america the guys who get their hands dirty in the trenches get paid the least, it's what keeps those billionaires in champagne caviar and yachts
It may be true, but there hasn’t been single source that’s verified that number. You’re repeating Kypreos doing what he does. While exposing your obvious bias.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Has Carolina been mentioned? His bother is a Cane; Carolina will be looking to add upfront.

The Senators Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really hoping he stays in Toronto. I love the guy and at the very least I hope he stays in Canada. He looks pretty happy in Toronto and I think in general it'd be good for him to stay in Eastern Canada. But I think he might end up on the Hurricanes since that relation through his brother. But I hope he stays in Toronto even though it probably won't happen? I don't know.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They should have signed him over Marleau.

Just no. His career shooting percentage... 11.5%, this year 15.4%. He's having a career year. If he's getting normal "luck" and shooting percentage, he's on 24 goals, and 40 points total so far in the year. Ironically, the same amount of points that Marleau has. Marleau can play C when needed, and is good at both ends of the rink. JvR is good at scoring goals, and great in front of the net... not much else. Marleau isn't on a 7-8 year contract, that JvR will want.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
cheap shot:rolleyes: read the papers sonny, he wants to pay an NHL GM 400k to manage the hockey club ...average salary of an NHL GM is a little north of 1.5m, 400k is an insult

Billionaire schmillionaire, like all of corporate america the guys who get their hands dirty in the trenches get paid the least, it's what keeps those billionaires in champagne caviar and yachts

Did he offer you the job? Please, scan in the offer sheet and show us all the salary so we can put this matter to rest. That is, of course, assuming they are offering everyone the exact same salary despite varying experience and skills. Because that makes total sense.

This whole "$400k salary" notion is absurd. There are only 31 GM in jobs in the NHL and these guys build a career to get that position. Which candidate demanded to know the salary on the first interview and then turned around and publicly tried to humiliate an owner based on the response? I'll take "Things no Professional would ever do in a tiny industry for $2000, Alex".

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Did he offer you the job? Please, scan in the offer sheet and show us all the salary so we can put this matter to rest. That is, of course, assuming they are offering everyone the exact same salary despite varying experience and skills. Because that makes total sense.

This whole "$400k salary" notion is absurd. There are only 31 GM in jobs in the NHL and these guys build a career to get that position. Which candidate demanded to know the salary on the first interview and then turned around and publicly tried to humiliate an owner based on the response? I'll take "Things no Professional would ever do in a tiny industry for $2000, Alex".
not going to spoon feed you click read and understand Money might be an issue in Carolina Hurricanes’ GM search - Sportsnet.ca

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Just no. His career shooting percentage... 11.5%, this year 15.4%. He's having a career year. If he's getting normal "luck" and shooting percentage, he's on 24 goals, and 40 points total so far in the year. Ironically, the same amount of points that Marleau has. Marleau can play C when needed, and is good at both ends of the rink. JvR is good at scoring goals, and great in front of the net... not much else. Marleau isn't on a 7-8 year contract, that JvR will want.
He's actually underperforming in terms of IXGF. So I think this is fairly close to what he'd provide for the team that signs him.

Holy crap he only has 16 assists? Didn't realize that. Despite him scoring more this is kind of a down year huh?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
lol... your report has the word “might” in the title.

That “might” give you a hint on whether or not there is anything valid contained.

Kypreos “hearing” a “ballpark” of what the “starting salary” “might be” isn’t really a strong news source.

I think Kypper might be closer to what's going on then you think and therefore....

and they've started strong pulling Waddell out of the GM meetings

best of all of course is the Ronnie Franchise heres your new office play...classy

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I'm really hoping he stays in Toronto. I love the guy and at the very least I hope he stays in Canada. He looks pretty happy in Toronto and I think in general it'd be good for him to stay in Eastern Canada. But I think he might end up on the Hurricanes since that relation through his brother. But I hope he stays in Toronto even though it probably won't happen? I don't know.

Toronto should just get Trevor.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think Kypper might be closer to what's going on then you think and therefore....

and they've started strong pulling Waddell out of the GM meetings

best of all of course is the Ronnie Franchise heres your new office play...classy

Kypreos wants to make a big story where there isn't one. A new owner paid hundreds of millions for a team. He had personality differences with the current GM and he pays the checks, this isn't out of the ordinary during ownership changes. Dundon moved Francis into an advisory role rather than operating as the trigger-man. Obviously this necessitates the search for a new GM. The Canes put out feelers to gauge interest and the action/response was blown out of proportion by guys like Kypreos. Wishy-washy, clickbait reporting about how the Canes "might" or "could" have this or that problem are old hat at this point for Canes fans.

The whole thing is painfully simple. And yet the Canes are receiving a disproportionate amount of flak/hate/shame by the traditionalists because of the personal feelings outlined in your last (bolded) statement. People are butt hurt that the new young, rich hotshot owner canned a NHL legend. Nevermind the objective data, results, and common processes during ownership transfers.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He's actually underperforming in terms of IXGF. So I think this is fairly close to what he'd provide for the team that signs him.

Holy crap he only has 16 assists? Didn't realize that. Despite him scoring more this is kind of a down year huh?
its cuz his linemates aren't scorers/can't finish. he'd probably have more assists if he played with finishers

Reactions: 405Exit and Dack

Batrous

May 4, 2016
I'd guess Florida or Buffalo would try to sign him but more likely a team such as the Ducks.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
I can't see the Leafs being able to afford him long term given the big three forwards they would want to resign over the summer / next season.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

He's maximizing his payday by concentrating on scoring goals and nothing else. His linemates have performed much better on other lines this year (Marner, Brown), but not when playing with him. Coincidence?

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
NJ, easily. Shero finally gets JVR.

With Vatanen on the blueline for you guys now. JVR is gonna score a lot of goals in the crease. I can definitely see JVR in Jersey. That Pp unit is gonna be deadly.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Kypreos wants to make a big story where there isn't one. A new owner paid hundreds of millions for a team. He had personality differences with the current GM and he pays the checks, this isn't out of the ordinary during ownership changes. Dundon moved Francis into an advisory role rather than operating as the trigger-man. Obviously this necessitates the search for a new GM. The Canes put out feelers to gauge interest and the action/response was blown out of proportion by guys like Kypreos. Wishy-washy, clickbait reporting about how the Canes "might" or "could" have this or that problem are old hat at this point for Canes fans.

The whole thing is painfully simple. And yet the Canes are receiving a disproportionate amount of flak/hate/shame by the traditionalists because of the personal feelings outlined in your last (bolded) statement. People are butt hurt that the new young, rich hotshot owner canned a NHL legend. Nevermind the objective data, results, and common processes during ownership transfers.
but wait there's more:nod:

31 Thoughts: Will the Calgary Flames trade for a first-round pick? - Sportsnet.ca

Carolina’s interim GM, Don Waddell, departed the meetings early to go back to home base. That left many of his brethren wondering exactly what is going on with the search. I think the honest answer is: not even Tom Dundon is sure. There are a few issues here. Tops among them, as Nick Kypreos and I mentioned last week, areauthority and salary. From what I understand, one of the things that drove a wedge between Dundon and Ron Francis was that if the owner had a question about coaching strategy or something that happened during the game, he’d call Bill Peters directly. Francis didn’t like that, and most GMs wouldn’t either.

But that is the way Dundon runs his regular businesses, and that is how he wants to do it in the NHL, too. In one of our conversations, he disputed that authority would be a problem and I replied by saying some of the people he interviewed would disagree. I’ve had some time to think about it, and my guess is that Dundon doesn’t see it as a problem if people collaborate on a process which provides a framework for someone to act. Most GMs, however, create (not collaborate on) the framework and tell people to act from that.

I don’t believe the search is over, it just continues at a slower pace and with less noise. I go back to something Dallas GM Jim Nill mentioned this season; how much this job is now managing up as opposed to making hockey moves. The best thing for the Hurricanes might not be the top available “hockey person,” but the best available “manager.” Someone who is willing to manage up, someone with a thick skin, a long fuse and a willingness to wade through something different.

5. As for salary, my sense is Dundon’s been told by a few people that he should offer in the $1 million range. He’s not interested in that number, to this point. Nick mentioned $400,000. I’d heard he was in the range of $350,000-$500,000. Since that came out, one follow-up being asked is, “Okay, what does that mean for the scouting staff?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

He can. At a moderate increase in money, and lesser amount in term.
Is he game for this; however?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad