Where does John Tavares rank among C's?

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
where do you think he'll be at the end of this year (predict the rest of his season in your eyes as well)? 3rd in the points race right now with 19G, 21 A in 33 GP, carrying Josh Bailey who has 9G, 31A in 33 GP to the #5 spot.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
had him top 5 before the season

and above matthews

"2nd line C on the leafs"

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He never gets the full respect he deserves. He’s been one of the best and most consistent goal scoring centers since he entered the league.

To be fair, playing with Tavares helps but I wouldn’t say he’s carrying Bailey. Bailey has been holding his own and looks terrific.

Back to Tavares, he’s also been one of the islanders best penalty killers the last 2 years. He’s been really good defensively. So the myth that he’s bad defensively and that he doesn’t kill penalties can’t be held against him anymore.

As fAr a prediction, if he stays healthy and continues his play and his line keeps rolling I could see him finishing
With 35-40 goals and 80-85 points. Possibly more if he goes on a hot streak.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Noticed he is tied for 3rd in NHL points, this could be his biggest year, just in time for free agency.

Hes top 5.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Top 10 center.

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Backstrom
Bergeron
Scheifele
Barkov
Stamkos
Kopitar

are the only ones Id take without hesitation before him RIGHT NOW. Meaning that Matthews could be added to this list as soon as this season imo (Im saying this as a Habs fan btw). Kusnetsov, Eichel, etc. Could eventually surpass him. He's still without a doubt an awesome player, elitely skilled and a work horse. I would kill to have him on the Habs. But top 3 he's not.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Crosby/McDavid
Malkin
Stamkos
Tavares
Scheifele
Barkov
Backstrom
Kopitar
Kuznetsov
Seguin

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
He's a top 5 centre in the league IMO

I have Crosby, Malkin and Mcdavid ahead of him, with Matthews battling for that #4 spot. He's always had the talent but underrated around the league for sure.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
he’s also been one of the islanders best penalty killers the last 2 years. He’s been really good defensively. So the myth that he’s bad defensively and that he doesn’t kill penalties can’t be held against him anymore.

and the islanders lead the league in short handed goals allowed........

Reactions: AnimalFear

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Guy is amazing for boosting other guys stats even tho he never really explodes himself . But he is good enough to win a series by himself when he’s hot . Would put him in the top ten for sure . He’s somewhere in that backstrom kopitar bergeron mess. I would say he’s better than Mathews today tho. Less valuable but better

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s been a top 5 guy the past 5 years. Underrated.

I think Crosby and McDavid are ahead of him. Stamkos and Malkin (if healthy) are around the same tier. He’s probably slightly ahead of the next tier (if you could even consider them a tier down) which consists of Getzlaf, Kopitar, Bergeron etc.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
This is going to inevitably turn into a top 10 C's thread.

1) Crosby......the best
2) Malkin.....criminally forgotten on HF
3) McDavid..still has a lot to prove, Malkin and Crosby took their teams of hot nothings to the cup twice at his age
4) Stamkos...just so overwhelmingly productive, he could've been a record breaker if not for injuires
5) Tavares....definition of a franchise centerman
6) Kopitar.....selke caliber and ppg
7) Bergeron...lesser version of the above
8) Barkov......he'll be top 5 by the time he's in prime
9) Matthews..another definition of a franchise 1C, but has more to prove
10) Backstrom...he's regressed but still top 10

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
This is going to inevitably turn into a top 10 C's thread.

1) Crosby......the best
2) Malkin.....criminally forgotten on HF
3) McDavid..still has a lot to prove, Malkin and Crosby took their teams of hot nothings to the cup twice at his age
4) Stamkos...just so overwhelmingly productive, he could've been a record breaker if not for injuires
5) Tavares....definition of a franchise centerman
6) Kopitar.....selke caliber and ppg
7) Bergeron...lesser version of the above
8) Barkov......he'll be top 5 by the time he's in prime
9) Matthews..another definition of a franchise 1C, but has more to prove
10) Backstrom...he's regressed but still top 10
Scheif > Matthews, Backstrom I'd say

Reactions: Aggie204 and SI90

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He's 4th at best as I said. Can't justify lower than 7th, even though he is helped a bit by very good linemates. He is still clear best player on isles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad