Where does Jim Benning rank among GM's?

Where does Jim Benning rank among GM's?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I went middle of the pack. But think he’s just outside the bottom 10 really or maybe even just in that group. Not good enough to build a contending team but good at building a decent group of prospects and young players. Plus I think there’s a lot of really bad GMs out there or new hires who don’t deserve a higher rating yet.

I don’t think he’s bottom five although I probably would have put him there a couple of years ago. He’s shown that he can change by drafting small skilled players like Pettersson, Madden and Hughes in the last two drafts. He’s drafted two top 10 goalie prospects in Demko and DiPietro and made a few smaller but decent trades recently such as Leivo.

I just don’t think he’s good enough to take the team to the next level as he’s made too many bad signings and trades.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Started off quite badly for us. Bad trades, bad first 1st round pick, bad signings. Then has improved. 2015 draft was pretty good. Then screwed up 2016 draft, FA, and TDL BAD, like hella bad suprised he survived it.

That was the low, since then has gotten steadily better. Better at trading, drafting continues to get better. Free Agent signings are ok, not good, not bad, but ok

Id say overall average

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Bad at trading, mediocre at signings, solid at drafting.

Bottom 10.

I would say bad at signings as well. 4th liners for 3m AAV for 4 years. Signed Del Zotto for 3m AAV. Gagner for 3m AAV. Eriksson to a monster 6m AAV salary for 6 years and Gudbranson for 4.5m AAV.

Plus side is Horvat for 5.5m AAV and Tanev for 4.5m AAV.

Bad with money overall, with a few exceptions.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think he is the worst GM now. How can you argue he is outside the bottom 10?

Dorion
Holland
Carolina GM
Tallon
Bergevin

They are the only ones you can argue are worse than him.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Bottom 10 or just outside of that. His best talent is probably drafting and amatuer scouting. His pro scouting is horrible. His trades and signing are hit and miss, hes done really bad and really well on both before.

Reactions: Ctrain2k

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Bottom 5 is where I voted. His incompetence goes beyond roster moves, signings and drafting, he's fired a lot of very intelligent and qualified staff and management (because they disagreed with some of Benning's moves) which will be very hard to replace over the next several years.

Jan 21, 2018
he was definitely the worst gm in the league for a while.

guess who made everyone forget about benning. i'll give you a hint

Edmonton-Oilers-General-Manager-Peter-Chiarelli-at-press-conference.jpg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Brock Boeser and EP are his saving grace.
Guy's a bottom 5 GM that's being saved by finding Boeser and making the easy pick in EP. He shouldn't have a job like this in this league.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Brock Boeser and EP are his saving grace.
Guy's a bottom 5 GM that's being saved by finding Boeser and making the easy pick in EP. He shouldn't have a job like this in this league.

I'm far from a Benning fan, but EP40 was not an "easy pick" by any stretch. He was projected to go later than he was chosen. There were legitimate concerns over his size and shooting ability. He has almost completely alleviated the concern for both with his play and development.

I went with middle of the pack.

I'd like to hear/read your rationale for this? What does your GM rankings list look like?

Bottom 10. It's hard to tell due to meddling ownership, Benning could be middle of the pack GMing a different team with less meddling ownership.

To me, meddling ownership is irrelevant. The GM owns the work he does. It's the same thing with his drafting. We don't know if it was Brackett's aptitude or Benning's input that got Boeser and/or Pettersson drafted. It doesn't matter. Both players were drafted within his regime. The logic should be the same for ownership influence.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
He kinda reminds me of Snow in the sense that he never really has a bad enough series of moves to get him fired, but he's never consistently good enough to build a good team.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Chiarelli trades a yacht down to a pencil in a span of a day and 6 trades

Benning trades a bmw into an eraser in a 7 year timeline and 600 trades

tldr Benning is worse than Chiarelli because Chia gets canned fast (imagine if owner is not a fanboy)

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm far from a Benning fan, but EP40 was not an "easy pick" by any stretch. He was projected to go later than he was chosen. There were legitimate concerns over his size and shooting ability. He has almost completely alleviated the concern for both with his play and development.

He was projected as a 6-8 range pick? Going at 5 wasn't a huge stretch, especially by the team that just had two small-ish Swedes be their top players for the past decade and a half :laugh:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Kind of gained respect for the Guy. He refused to tear it down with the Sedins on the team, to at least give them a chance, without giving up futures to do so. Since their retirement, he seems like hes taking the team in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad