Where does Ferland Start Next Season?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Ferland had an impressive playoffs this past season, dude was a non-stop train and he even potted in a goal and a few assists. Do you see him starting off in the NHL or in the AHL?

Discuss.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
If he picks up where he left off in the pre-season he will definitely make the team out of camp. However, the way he was playing and how he got injured so quickly from it kind of worries me with how consistent and healthy he will be.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Im pretty sure you don't have to clear waivers to start the season in the AHL.
If they are waiver eligible they need to waived to be demoted. It's just very few players get claimed because they are put on waivers en masse

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think he'll be given the chance to continue with Stajan and Jones. If he doesn't show he can contribute somewhat consistently, I think he'll get demoted, or be that 13th forward. He did very well during the playoffs, but overall, he was mediocre during the season. His numbers during the playoffs look good, but you need to remember that 3 of his 5 points came from a single game, and two of his goals were both empty netters.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think he's an nhl'er. When he first got called up, keep in mind he was getting his feet wet and was coming off an concussion in his game. Ferly is still a work in progress, I don't know what his ceiling is yet.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm of the opinion that it will depend greatly on what kind of training camp he has. Ferland has been a wildly inconsistent pro. I believe he is one of those players who will be very much expected to earn his spot this season.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
I'm of the opinion that it will depend greatly on what kind of training camp he has. Ferland has been a wildly inconsistent pro. I believe he is one of those players who will be very much expected to earn his spot this season.

This. He will have to earn the spot and show his determination once again at all camps. He impressed a lot during a few games showing he can be a wonderful factor at the NHL level but no guarantees that he continues doing that. Hoping for the best though. He's an easy guy to root for.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I would like very much, if entering Game 1 our bottom 11 is:

Ferland-Backlund-Jooris
Granlund-Bennett-Byron
Bouma-Stajan-Jones
Shore
Colborne

And David Wolf clears waivers without getting claimed.

...Don't ask me where Bollig and Raymond went.

I don't think Colborne will go from our 2nd line RW to a healthy scratch, we can't afford to take size and physicality out of the lineup.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
i like byron but id rather give his spot to a younger bigger player like shore or possibly poirier/ hathaway if they look good in camp. byron seems like a great 13th forward to have.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I would like very much, if entering Game 1 our bottom 11 is:

Ferland-Backlund-Jooris
Granlund-Bennett-Byron
Bouma-Stajan-Jones
Shore
Colborne

And David Wolf clears waivers without getting claimed.

...Don't ask me where Bollig and Raymond went.

Ferland and Jooris on the 2nd line, while Bouma is on the 4th? I'd rather Ferland play with Stajan and Jones, see if he can continue doing well with them. I'd also have Colborne as a regular over Granlund.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Two lineups I wouldn't mind seeing.

1. Going with what we know.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bennett - Backlund - Colborne
Bouma - Jooris - Shore
Ferland - Stajan - Jones
Byron/Bollig/Raymond

The Backlund and Stajan lines did well during the playoffs. See if they can keep it going. 3rd line becomes more of an energy line.

2. Spreading out the offense a bit.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Bennett - Jooris - Hudler
Bouma - Backlund - Ferland/Shore
Ferland/Byron - Stajan - Jones

Jooris and Hudler did really well together. Bennett alongside those two could do well together. Colborne had chemistry with Monahan before, and he could add some size to a line that really lacked it. 3rd line becomes more of a shutdown/physical line.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
At the Flames Equipment sale I bought a Ferland jersey and got it signed. Waiting for it to be framed right now.

I think he starts in the show as a bottom 6 guy. Rotating with Bollig and those characters.

Also, for those who care, I also snagged a Big Ern twig and Chad Billins Abby lid (I bought it for the pristine visor attached) Decent haul if you ask me.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Ferland and Jooris on the 2nd line, while Bouma is on the 4th? I'd rather Ferland play with Stajan and Jones, see if he can continue doing well with them.

I love Bouma, you might have seen me argue that he might repeat or exceed his 16 goal season next year. But it's best to keep him away from Backlund (for Backlund's sake, not Bouma's) and let Backlund's line hem other teams in their zone like 2013-14, and I think Ferland, Byron, and Jooris are the three players who really complement him. Byron-Backlund-Jooris was one of my favorite lines last season.

Jones/Bouma also showed great chemistry, and Stajan is the perfect center for that line. It's not about being a 4th line or a 3rd line.

I'd also have Colborne as a regular over Granlund.

Colborne's game is just too mechanical, I can see why some people think he's a top 6 forward because he's really tall, but... you really need wingers willing to shoot the puck. Consider that Colborne played in 54% more minutes than Granlund on the season yet only got two more shots on net and scored the same amount of goals. Granlund's just a more natural hockey player and the team can use that.

i like byron but id rather give his spot to a younger bigger player like shore or possibly poirier/ hathaway if they look good in camp. byron seems like a great 13th forward to have.

None of those players are better than Byron. If and when they show they are better than Byron, everyone would rather give his spot to them. But right now, Byron is one of the better forwards on the team and those guys have not even shown they are consistent NHLers. You have to take the blinders off to see that Byron is a very effective player and Shore has to prove he's deserving of a spot. Ideally, Shore takes Jones' spot and Poirier or Klimchuk take Byron's spot, which on paper should improve the team. But the players need to prove it themselves, not be gifted playing time.

I don't think Colborne will go from our 2nd line RW to a healthy scratch, we can't afford to take size and physicality out of the lineup.

The Bennett-Backlund-Colborne line was somewhat effective, but if you want Bennett to develop as a centre you have to give him minutes at center away from Backlund, and Colborne needed both of those players together for the line to work (while those players were functional away from Colborne). Beyond that, Colborne's lines struggled a lot this season to generate offense, even with gobs of powerplay time... trying to fit a square peg into a round hole for another consecutive season isn't gonna work. As for size and physicality, they might be a mirage with Colborne. They don't seem to translate, and I don't know why. Compare that to Ferland, whose size and physicality translate seemlessly and he's making something happen every time he's on the ice.

Last edited:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Ferland cranked his game to 11 for the playoffs, and he paid for it.

I don't know that he's going to have a long NHL career, but while he's here, I think he's got the skill to contribute while being a wrecking ball when needed. I think he's a perfect 4th line energy guy who can pot a couple goals and get put out there to protect some of our guys.

He didn't have a great regular season, but I think his confidence from the playoffs will make a big difference next season. It'll be interesting to see if he can stay healthy and make a difference or if he's just another Akim Aliu (successful start with the team, but not much after that).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad