where does elias pettersson rank among nhl players

where does he rank

• Total voters

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
So this is what it's like to be on the other side of this argument.

So many times I had argued the same thing about Matthews (age, pace, position) and been laughed off with "production is the only thing that matters at the end of the day".

God I hate this victim card.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
The guy said Pettersson hasn't improved from his rookie year to his sophomore year
rookie PPG = 0.93
Sophomore PPG = 0.98

Marner increased his Point per game by the same amount in PPG from rookie to sophomore.

Learn to keep up

LOL. I dunno, Man. He really seems like a 66 pt player to me.

Career high: 66 pts
Career low: 66 pts

So far, that's all he seems to have in him. He's on Route 66, y'know?

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
LOL. What are you on about? Marner has literally shown improvement each & every year he's been in the league.

2016/17 - 61pts
2017/18 - 69pts
2018/19 - 94pts
2019/20 - 67pts in 59gms (paced for another 93pt season.....close enough!)

Marner actually regressed relatively to others in second season . In PPG ranking he fell like 20 spots. League scoring just went significantly up especially among top players.

Reactions: Nucker101

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I take him over Draisaitl, Kucherov, Kane, Eichel, and Matthews who are all very one-dimensional. Barkov sort of is too; his defense is a meme and he's not producing more. Pastrnak may be having a better year but he's also having a standout year relative to his career and plays on the best line in hockey. Josi and Jones are just laughable reaches -- Josi isn't the best defenseman on his own team.

While I agree with you that Pettersson>Draisaitl, Kane, Barkov, Jones and Josi, could you expand a little on Matthews?

Matthews put up absolutely extraordinary defensive results this season and proved to be one of the best play drivers in the league. Pettersson just isn't there goal scoring wise while being an equal playmaker.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Pettersson’s 2-way game definitely improved

Also Barkov is one of the most overrated players on HF, people keep assuming he’s this two-way monster but that’s not the case.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
one thing that hurts EP is he didnt really take much of a jump his 2nd year

28g/66pts to 27g/66pts.....

as a leafs i understand why you think offense is the only aspect of ice hockey, but there’s also a thing called defence. pettersson’s two way game was absolutely fantastic this year, and if you think he didn’t take much of a leap you’re just a hockey db stat watcher.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Pettersson is also two years younger, has put up better numbers at the same age and plays centre. Marner is a tremendous player but downplaying Pettersson for what he's been able to do so far as the go-to guy in his team doesn't make your case better.
Pettersson seems like the better guy to build your team around and there is much more to like about his potential.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I’m glad this thread got the Pettersson conversation going in the direction of his potential as a two way player.

I’ve always thought his absolute ceiling is more of a Datsyuk type player rather than a pure offensive guy. I think Pettersson could be that huge point scorer, but more likely I think if he hits his ceiling he’s a dominant two way player who also can score over 90 points.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I’m glad this thread got the Pettersson conversation going in the direction of his potential as a two way player.

I’ve always thought his absolute ceiling is more of a Datsyuk type player rather than a pure offensive guy. I think Pettersson could be that huge point scorer, but more likely I think if he hits his ceiling he’s a dominant two way player who also can score over 90 points.

He should crack ppg before we start talking "over 90 points".

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
The same way we shouldn't place Matthews in the top tier of NHL players until he's put up more than 80 points?

Don't be dense. When Pettersson is scoring at nearly a PPG, as an undersized 20 year old, it's a pretty safe bet that he'll be a good deal better than that in his prime. The kid was pacing at around 80 points... you don't think he can tag on another 10 when he puts on some more weight and gains some more NHL experience?
LOL. I dunno, Man. He really seems like a 66 pt player to me.

Career high: 66 pts
Career low: 66 pts

So far, that's all he seems to have in him. He's on Route 66, y'know?
But, you see, this is the thing that confuses me about posters like yourself. If you have to make dumb remarks, at the expense of trolling another fanbase, what do you really get out of it? It seems like the lowest form of self-satisfaction.

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
God I hate this victim card.

The same way we shouldn't place Matthews in the top tier of NHL players until he's put up more than 80 points?

Don't be dense. When Pettersson is scoring at nearly a PPG, as an undersized 20 year old, it's a pretty safe bet that he'll be a good deal better than that in his prime. The kid was pacing at around 80 points... you don't think he can tag on another 10 when he puts on some more weight and gains some more NHL experience?

But, you see, this is the thing that confuses me about posters like yourself. If you have to make dumb remarks, at the expense of trolling another fanbase, what do you really get out of it? It seems like the lowest form of self-satisfaction.

On the same page lol

Love

Feb 29, 2012

We shouldn’t talk about potential until a player reaches that potential, thus meaning it is no longer potential but the past? That doesn’t make any sense, and worse yet, it’s boring.

Reactions: John Johnson

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Canuck fan saying top 30.

Theres something special about him though... He’s not going to be top 30 for long. I could even see some Selke consideration in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad