Where do you think 4 top rated goalies will go in 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoilers

Jan 25, 2004
I think Montoya, Schwarz, Dubnyk and Schenieder all go in the 1st round for 2004 draft.

I think Montoya goes to Florida as they need goaltending depth after Luongo and Luongo will get expensive after a few years (pending CBA) and if the Panthers draft Montoya, what a great Marketing tool for them to use as he is of Cuban decent and with 1 000 000 CUbans in Southern Florida, it would help the Panthers

Schwarz goes to LA as they need goaltending depth as well and need a starter for the future

Dubnyk goes to St. Louis as they don't have anyone after Divis and they will need a goalie of the future

Schnieder goes to Tampa as they are really thin after Graham and Khibulbin is an unrestricted free agent after next season and they could use more goaltending depth.

I was hoping the Oilers could get Devan D but I think he is gone by pick 25

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
I think Schwarz goes to the Kings At #11. Someone will trade up to #12 or 13 to get in front of the Oilers take Montoya (unless Edmonton does this themselves which I don't think they will). That should leave Dubnyk for the Oilers at 25, and I think Schneider goes early in round # 2, probably to Chicago.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
theredmile said:
I think Schwarz goes to the Kings At #11. Someone will trade up to #12 or 13 to get in front of the Oilers take Montoya (unless Edmonton does this themselves which I don't think they will). That should leave Dubnyk for the Oilers at 25, and I think Schneider goes early in round # 2, probably to Chicago.
Wow- good analysis.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
theredmile said:

Which teams would you list as candidates to trade up to 12 or 13 for Montoya? (Curious, since my team's at 12 and there's been some speculation about trading down.. unofficial, obviously ;).)

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
One team I think that might move up for Montoya would be the Canucks. I know they have Alex Auld but after that they don't have much in terms of goalie prospects. I also could see the new GM in Vancouver wanting to make a splash and what better way to make the fans happy than to pick up a franchise goalie with the way Cloutier has played in past playoffs. The price would obviously be pretty steep for Minnesota or Buffalo to move down that far in the 1st round, and the Canucks would probably have to part with a roster player to do it, maybe someone like Chubarov, but that is one scenario I could see happening.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
theoilers said:
I think Montoya, Schwarz, Dubnyk and Schenieder all go in the 1st round for 2004 draft.

I think Montoya goes to Florida as they need goaltending depth after Luongo and Luongo will get expensive after a few years (pending CBA) and if the Panthers draft Montoya, what a great Marketing tool for them to use as he is of Cuban decent and with 1 000 000 CUbans in Southern Florida, it would help the Panthers

Schwarz goes to LA as they need goaltending depth as well and need a starter for the future

Dubnyk goes to St. Louis as they don't have anyone after Divis and they will need a goalie of the future

Schnieder goes to Tampa as they are really thin after Graham and Khibulbin is an unrestricted free agent after next season and they could use more goaltending depth.

I was hoping the Oilers could get Devan D but I think he is gone by pick 25
There wolud be no point in drafting Montoya with Luongo already a NHL Star. Like you said, they could trade him and get a good return..But if the first 10-15 picks are very strong, why not draft a forward or Dman?

gameface

May 30, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
theoilers said:

I'm sure I'm out to lunch, but on my first mock, I had all four going in the first round as well.

Aside from the top two picks in the draft, the only consistency through many of the mocks is Marek Schwarz going to Los Angeles; I concur with that. Oddly enough, I think there's a real possibility of Minnesota picking up Al Montoya. Dwayne Roloson will be 35 at the start of the 2004-05 season (if there is such a thing), and I'm not sure that Manny Fernandez is truly a number one goalie. Montoya could be that guy.

I also had Edmonton taking Devan Dubnyk in the first round, but at number 14 overall, not 25. He's the only one of the four that I've seen play in person. I know many of the mocks have him going lower, but there's a lot to like about him and if you need a goalie, he may not be there later since other teams are sure to be eyeing him. He's an Alberta guy, he's huge, he's quick and he's got a good grasp on the fundamentals. If I'm Edmonton, I might roll the dice with one of the first round picks, but I'd want to have a sure thing too. I believe Dubnyk is.

Can't decide on Schneider. In my first mock, I had Tampa picking him up at 29 or 30. Others have made a case on why he'd be a good fit there, and I'd have to agree. However, more and more, I'm thinking that if a certain one or two players on my hometown Canucks list are off the board, they might be inclined to take Schneider. The case has also been made for why the Canucks need a gumper, and they too are accurate. He's more of an unknown than a Schwarz, Montoya or Dubnyk, but it sounds like he's got the goods.

Flame away!

thestonedkoala

We have a guy named JOSH HARDING...and Johan Holmqvist is coming up. He's a stretch at number 1 but so was Roloson...

We'll take a goalie later on, myabe with one of our two 3rd...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
thestonedkoala said:
We have a guy named JOSH HARDING...and Johan Holmqvist is coming up. He's a stretch at number 1 but so was Roloson...

We'll take a goalie later on, myabe with one of our two 3rd...

I saw Holmqvist last year against Hamilton and he was freaking unreal in the playoffs, a great goalie performance for sure.

thestonedkoala

Yep and that's why I have faith in him to pick up when Roloson goes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad