Where do you see Pulkkinen this year?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Pulks has less guys in front of him this year than last. Going into last season, he had Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan, Jarnkrok at least in front of him in GR. And he still got his callup(of course a lot due to his great play aswell). This season it's really only Jurco and Mantha. Knowing the Wings we'll be down to our third callup option on no time. Maybe he plays 15-20 games this year.

Mantha is behind Pulkks in the depth chart. I can promise you that they won't rush him into the NHL.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
It's a shame that a player can break the goal scoring record for a Wings prospect in Grand Rapids and still won't get a fair shot at the big club the following season

Puddles

Mar 18, 2013
Pulks and his holy slapper will get called up more this year. I really want to see him on the first pp unit, either on the point or along the half wall.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Mantha is behind Pulkks in the depth chart. I can promise you that they won't rush him into the NHL.

I doubt they rush him, but he hasn't been evaluated by anyone as a pro yet, so there's no way to know where he stands on the depth chart. He effectively hasn't even been placed on the depth chart yet. Based on camp, the preseason, and the first several games in GR, it's very possible that Mantha turns out to be higher on the depth chart than Pulkkinen.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't think Pulkkinen is ready for the bigs just yet. I never been too high on him, but was actually somewhat impressed with his games in the NHL last year. I'm not sure he'll have a long career with the DRWs, though. My guess he will be used in a trade package.

But boy can that kid shoot!

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
It's a shame that a player can break the goal scoring record for a Wings prospect in Grand Rapids and still won't get a fair shot at the big club the following season

Nyquist lead the entire league in scoring before getting a shot. Tatar did also (?) or was close at least.

Over-Ripe, we're talking banana bread caliber.

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
Nyquist lead the entire league in scoring before getting a shot. Tatar did also (?) or was close at least.

Fischer always says he wants them to dominate at the level they're at before they advance.

Looking back at it, the guys who advanced without dominating at lower levels have generally been disappointments or role-players (with the notable exception of Sheahan and maybe Ericsson depending on how you rate his AHL career).

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I hope this isn't a shot against banana bread, because it is delicious.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't think that there is any question that he lands back in GR this season. My hope though is that we at least get to see him for a solid 10+ game stretch at some point. I would put him behind Jurco but ahead of Mantha in terms of his position on the depth chart. I think Mantha will take longer to adjust to pro hockey than most think.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Fischer always says he wants them to dominate at the level they're at before they advance.

Looking back at it, the guys who advanced without dominating at lower levels have generally been disappointments or role-players (with the notable exception of Sheahan and maybe Ericsson depending on how you rate his AHL career).

Tatar didn't dominate the AHL at any phase during those 4 years before the 2012-13 playoffs. Then he did won the AhL "Conn Smythe Trophy" as a playoff MVP by scoring those super-impressive 16 playoff goals in 24 games. After that he was promoted in NHL.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I'm sure he will be used as trade bait this season.

idk I still think Tatar gets traded. He has a lot more value trade wise, and pulkkinen fills a different role than we have in our other forwards. He shoots the puck, and shoots it at an elite or near elite level. Put him on the top pp unit and the goals will come, and I mean they will come like a rocket off his stick.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
idk I still think Tatar gets traded. He has a lot more value trade wise, and pulkkinen fills a different role than we have in our other forwards. He shoots the puck, and shoots it at an elite or near elite level. Put him on the top pp unit and the goals will come, and I mean they will come like a rocket off his stick.

I consider him the most expendable but I hope he doesn't get traded. He drives possession on that third line like no other.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

It is fair to call it elite in my opinion. I have seen it in person and would put it in the Top 10 shots I have ever seen in person. This includes growing up a Wings season ticket holder so I am talking AHL and NHL. It is so hard and he has actually shortened his windup since moving to NA without appearing to lose much speed and when teams actually do allow him the big windup lookout. Fedorov and a young Hull (not even the one that played in Detroit) that is the company he keeps with his slapper in terms of guys people should remember and by the way his wrist shot is extremely heavy, just not quite the same as his holy slapper. He gets pro hockey players to flamingo on that which is very rare once you hit the pros.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It is fair to call it elite in my opinion. I have seen it in person and would put it in the Top 10 shots I have ever seen in person. This includes growing up a Wings season ticket holder so I am talking AHL and NHL. It is so hard and he has actually shortened his windup since moving to NA without appearing to lose much speed and when teams actually do allow him the big windup lookout. Fedorov and a young Hull (not even the one that played in Detroit) that is the company he keeps with his slapper in terms of guys people should remember and by the way his wrist shot is extremely heavy, just not quite the same as his holy slapper. He gets pro hockey players to flamingo on that which is very rare once you hit the pros.

Yeah, his shot is enough of a weapon to where I don't see how it won't translate to goals in the NHL.

He just needs to get used to less time and space once again, when he makes this next jump. Did a very good job of adjusting last time.

He looked ok during last years call up, he just needs to process everything a bit quicker when he is up on the big stage, thought that was pretty clear. Liked the willingness to be physical though, and his skating did not look like an issue.

When he gets used to the speed of the NHL he should be burying shots on the PP and 2 on 1 rushes regularly.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
In Grand Rapids.

Slightly less than a point per game, getting a few call-ups with the Wings over the year. He will play 8-10 games with the Wings, getting his first career goal. I hope to see him on the opening night 2015 roster along with Mantha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad