Where do you see Pulkkinen this year?

Caracal87

May 20, 2013
First of all sry for rusty english.

I have been Detroit fan for at least a decade for now and i'am obviosly a finn. One of my biggest hopes has been Pulkkinen to develop to be a player i has always been waiting him being for. I think the time is about right to make a next step but when i read all of your polls about the team next year and line-ups. Everyone has dropped Pulkkinen back to grifs. Why is that?

Do people still think hes not ready? is it about his size? Does the debut tackle count in? or what? been wondering this one for a while.

Pulkkinen made gp71 g31 a28=59points last year and won grifs points in regular season and playoffs.

Where do you see him? when do you think its time to give proper chance for Pulu?

Hes not kind of a player who fits in 4th line and not quite in 3rd either but i think that team what is like to be right now there should be space in 2nd?

I know that Detroit is quite patient with youngsters though.

Detroit Sports*

Gr, or traded for some 35+ yr old plug to make the playoffs and get murdered again

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
It's not looking good this year. If I'm not mistaken, we have 14 forwards signed already. That discounts Alfie, Jurco, and Mantha. Jurco is all but guaranteed to be in the AHL, so he'll trump Pulkkinen when it comes to call-ups, and if Mantha is tearing it up in GR, he'll probably leapfrog Pulkkinen too. And that's ignoring the 13th/14th NHL forwards we have as well.

Barring insane amounts of injuries, I don't see him getting more than a few "status update" NHL games this year. In reality, he could probably stand to refine his game a touch more at the AHL, but he looks ready to be further up on the totem pole than he is. I think he'd have the chance to be on the rosters of a dozen or so NHL teams this season as is, but this is Detroit.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Yeah he should be up full time 2015-2016 sadly. I think he is ready now but him and Mantha will be next two up as they should be (after Jurco).

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Won't hurt him to spend another year in GR. I do want him to get at least 5-10 NHL games so we see what he can do, but with Mantha and Jurco ahead of him it will take a lot of injuries.

He's in a tough position and I doubt he gets a lot of chances to grab a roster spot in Detroit.

Caracal87

May 20, 2013
signings

But is there enough quality in 2 top lines. Thats the thing i'am wondering.

Datsuyk - no need to say more
Zetterberg - Still king in the castle
Nyquist - Fresh rocket
Tatar - starting to get there

but after that:
Alfie - yet to be resigned (no guarantee to sign with Detroit)
Cleary- Total flop
Jurco - I would liked to get more out of him already
Samuelsson - no more in roster?
Bertuzzi - Can he produce more than toughness anymore
Franzen - Chasing the shadows of the oldtime quality
Abdelkader - more of a power forward than scoring line player
Miller - Workhorse

Rest of them are natural centers and not so quite of a scoring threat

I personally feel that biggest problem Detroit have right now despite defence is that there is ton of work ethic but i dont see scoring threat more than 1st line (except nyquist) if we make 1st as Z - D - Tatar/alfie.

Personally i think Pulkkinen would be perfect fit in the secondline. But of course he hasn't proven yet anything in NHL level.

I try to be positive and think that he will be killer in camp and earn a spot to 2nd wing and take it. You wouldn't change a 30G man out of the wing even if he is down in team picking order :D

Oh how much this team shouts Hudler or Filppula back. The production with youngsters hasnt been so fast as hoped for, right?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
AHL untill he mentions that he has an offer from a European League at which point he will be traded along with a 2nd rd pick for a crappy 35 year old ufa

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah he should be up full time 2015-2016 sadly. I think he is ready now but him and Mantha will be next two up as they should be (after Jurco).

It's not looking good this year. If I'm not mistaken, we have 14 forwards signed already. That discounts Alfie, Jurco, and Mantha. Jurco is all but guaranteed to be in the AHL, so he'll trump Pulkkinen when it comes to call-ups, and if Mantha is tearing it up in GR, he'll probably leapfrog Pulkkinen too. And that's ignoring the 13th/14th NHL forwards we have as well.

Barring insane amounts of injuries, I don't see him getting more than a few "status update" NHL games this year. In reality, he could probably stand to refine his game a touch more at the AHL, but he looks ready to be further up on the totem pole than he is. I think he'd have the chance to be on the rosters of a dozen or so NHL teams this season as is, but this is Detroit.

As high on Mantha people are, I don't see him playing any games in the NHL this season. His game is still too rough to suit Babs and Holland and then there is the pecking order which rarely gets changed. So I see Pulkks being the second call up. Jurco will be in as soon as Cleary's body gives out and Pulkks will be the second injury call up.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I think all of us would've preferred seeing him to Cleary on the roster this year, but it's just not going to happen.

1. Datsyuk
2. Zetterberg
3. Nyquist
4. Franzen
5. Weiss
6. Tatar
7. Sheahan
8. Helm
9. Abdelkader
10. Miller
11. Cleary
12. Glendening
13. Andersson
14. Jurco
15. ???

Pulks has a shot at that fifteenth spot, but things need to happen for him to get a chance here realistically. Andersson is the only guy on that list who I don't think is a shoe in to be part of this organization next year, so Pulkkinen will need a lot to get more than a couple of games. This isn't even accounting for Alfredsson, Callahan, or Ferraro, and there's a decent chance at least one of them is in Detroit next year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's going to need some time to adjust to the NHL, just like Tatar and Nyquist did.

I thought last year, even on the man advantage, he needed to be a second quicker with his decisions when he was with Detroit. Loved the hip check though, and he was more physical than I anticipated.

Would love to see him get called up, because I think when he speeds up his game just a little, he will be freezing NHL goalies with that slapper in no time.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
How does he ever make the roster? Not enough roster spots and Mantha is next in line. Only forwards who's contracts expire anytime soon, are Gator, Helm and Miller. All three of those guys will be extended.

I count 12 players who aren't going anywhere after you waive Andy, Alfie retires and Cleary gets an eight year contract offer from Philly.

He is probably three years away from being promoted.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think all of us would've preferred seeing him to Cleary on the roster this year, but it's just not going to happen.

1. Datsyuk
2. Zetterberg
3. Nyquist
4. Franzen
5. Weiss
6. Tatar
7. Sheahan
8. Helm
9. Abdelkader
10. Miller
11. Cleary
12. Glendening
13. Andersson
14. Jurco
15. ???

Pulks has a shot at that fifteenth spot, but things need to happen for him to get a chance here realistically. Andersson is the only guy on that list who I don't think is a shoe in to be part of this organization next year, so Pulkkinen will need a lot to get more than a couple of games. This isn't even accounting for Alfredsson, Callahan, or Ferraro, and there's a decent chance at least one of them is in Detroit next year.

Even if we dumped Andersson and Cleary, that would make Pulks the 13th at best. And that's if we don't bring Alfie back. He's got a really stuffed lineup ahead of him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How does he ever make the roster? Not enough roster spots and Mantha is next in line. Only forwards who's contracts expire anytime soon, are Gator, Helm and Miller. All three of those guys will be extended.

He is probably three years away from being promoted.

Waiver exemption runs out after this year, so no way that's true.

He'll be on the team next year, or he'll be traded this year. He wouldn't make it through waivers, and I don't even think we'd try.

I also don't see room for him, but we will see what happens.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Waiver exemption runs out after this year, so no way that's true.

He'll be on the team next year, or he'll be traded this year. He wouldn't make it through waivers, and I don't even think we'd try.

I also don't see room for him, but we will see what happens.

Didn't know his waiver exemption ran out this year. Thought it was next season. In that case, he has to be traded for a pick or waived. There just isn't anyway for him to make the team with Ken Holland being the GM.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Didn't know his waiver exemption ran out this year. Thought it was next season. In that case, he has to be traded. There just isn't anyway for him to make the team with Ken Holland being the GM. You basically have to trade him for a pick or waive him.

Yeah, assuming Mantha doesn't make the team until he runs out of waivers. Because, probably will lol.

15-16

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Mule
Jurco-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Pulkkinen
Abdelkader-Helm-Glendening/Callahan

Though we're always looking forward to next years roster... :laugh:

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just realized Ouellet, Backman, Sproul, and Marchenko all lose their waiver exemption the same year.

*gasp*

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Just realized Ouellet, Backman, Sproul, and Marchenko all lose their waiver exemption the same year.

*gasp*

Yeah. One of them is being traded and we probably won't know which one is the least valuable by the time that does happen. That will also hurt their trade value since their NHL experience will probably be in the 20-30 game range.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yeah. One of them is being traded and we probably won't know which one is the least valuable by the time that does happen. That will also hurt their trade value since their NHL experience will probably be in the 20-30 game range.

3 of them will be waived or traded for a 5th rounder.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
3 of them will be waived or traded for a 5th rounder.

True. Quincey will take one of their spots. Stuart will probably come back and end his career here. Might be room for 1 of them :laugh:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Someone already beat you to the "joke".

i dont honestly think its a joke

i do honestly believe that if he dosent get in a decent # of games in thre NHl to earn NHL money(which is what 100% of players want) that he may be tempted to go elsewhere if jurco, sheahan, mantha are all ahead of him to get NHL games in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad