Where do you rank the Blues C depth?

Blues C Depth

• Total voters

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
You mean that same GAR chart that puts a heavy emphasis on faceoff wins and not taking penalties; the only areas where ROR is anywhere near a first line center? The one that ranks Detroit’s centers well above Washington’s?

Look I know you're jealous of ROR's G.A.R lightsaber but we're all aware by now how you feel about it. This is the 2nd Blues themed thread you've decided to stick your nose in and your opinion of the Blues moves is distinctly in the minority if the results of this poll are any indication. Could you maybe make less of a contribution to this thread? This is a really exciting time for Blues fans after watching a couple retooling years and going from bottom 10 center depth to top 10 is definitely worth discussing without you being contrarian.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
While it's fairly deep, I wouldn't say it's particularly high end, and I wouldn't fall for the trap of name dropping Bozak, as he's basically a third line center.

So focus on Bozak, attach a negative sentiment to him and ignore the other 3 guys, ok got it.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Look I know you're jealous of ROR's G.A.R lightsaber but we're all aware by now how you feel about it. This is the 2nd Blues themed thread you've decided to stick your nose in and your opinion of the Blues moves is distinctly in the minority if the results of this poll are any indication. Could you maybe make less of a contribution to this thread? This is a really exciting time for Blues fans after watching a couple retooling years and going from bottom 10 center depth to top 10 is definitely worth discussing without you being contrarian.

This is literally a thread about the Blues center depth, asking where it ranks around the NHL. You talk about these GAR models as if they are indisputable facts that prove the Blues have some of the best center depth in the NHL, I’m merely offering a rebuttal.

And no, I’m not jealous of ROR. You clearly don’t know how I feel about him if you think that.

from San Jose, I don’t think ROR is a guy that I would go after.

They will cite a flawed GaR model that has Ryan O’Reilly near the top of all NHL centers and will conveniently ignore that outside of faceoff victories and not taking penalties, he is nowhere near as statistically effective as the players around him on the list.

I was talking about the flawed GAR models before he even became a Blue. Nice try.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Its not that good TBH, worse than Pittsburgh, TB, WSH, TOR, Edmonton, Buf, Florida, LA, Boston, Philly, Winnipeg, NYI, and most teams with an elite number one, but at least its better than the Habs.

No, Scheifele is a Superstar, Little is aging and being dragged around like a corpse by his linemates(or else he’d have nothing more than 20pts), Lowry is an Elite shutdown Center but most Jets fans don’t even know who the odd man out is gonna be(is it Roslovic, Copp or even Wheeler, who knows).

Unless Roslovic can be one of those young upcoming 50+ Centers in a hurry(which is definitely possible and I’d say almost likely after looking at his statistical metrics in the NHL with his lack of minutes and his AHL success) I doubt it, but I mean I don’t even know if he’s gonna play Center or not next season though. If that does happen than yes, but until then Jets shouldn’t be any higher than league average IMO.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No, Scheifele is a Superstar, Little is aging and being dragged around like a corpse by his linemates(or else he’d have nothing more than 20pts), Lowry is an Elite shutdown Center but most Jets fans don’t even know who the odd man out is gonna be(is it Roslovic, Copp or even Wheeler, who knows).

Unless Roslovic can be one of those young upcoming 50+ Centers in a hurry(which is definitely possible and I’d say almost likely after looking at his statistical metrics in the NHL with his lack of minutes and his AHL success) I doubt it, but I mean I don’t even know if he’s gonna play Center or not next season though. If that does happen than yes, but until then Jets shouldn’t be any higher than league average IMO.
Scheif, Roslovic and Lowrey are good enough, I don't care. I'd take Scheif over all the Cs on the blues, ez.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Scheif, Roslovic and Lowrey are good enough, I don't care. I'd take Scheif over all the Cs on the blues, ez.

Scheif is significantly better than any of them but depth is different from top end singular skill, again if Roslovic is capable of being a 2C than I think Jets propel them self to Top 10 but until that’s proven or happens they arent.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
This is literally a thread about the Blues center depth, asking where it ranks around the NHL. You talk about these GAR models as if they are indisputable facts that prove the Blues have some of the best center depth in the NHL, I’m merely offering a rebuttal.

And no, I’m not jealous of ROR. You clearly don’t know how I feel about him if you think that.

I was talking about the flawed GAR models before he even became a Blue. Nice try.

Relax chief, the G.A.R stuff was tongue in cheek.

I don't need a chart to tell me the Blues just went from bottom 10 to top 10 in center depth. As I said, your opinion seems to be in the minority and you've already made your position clear so at this point I wonder why the Blues seem to be a topic you continue to have interest in.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Scheif is significantly better than any of them but depth is different from top end singular skill, again if Roslovic is capable of being a 2C than I think Jets propel them self to Top 10 but until that’s proven or happens they arent.
Its basically ROR/Schenn vs Scheifele/Lowry and who ever they are able to plug. The value of a true 1C is a lot bigger when compared to a 2C like ROR or Schenn and a guy like say, Bozak. Yes, ROR and Schenn are better, but they don't change the game like a guy like Scheif does. It's easier to acquire a player and plug him in the 2C role and have him produce mediocre numbers at 2C than plug in a 2C at 1C and try to live with this. ROR, Bozak and Schenn are going to matchup against these guys

Scheif
Matthews/Tavares/Kadri
Kopitar/Carter

etc.. Theyre going to come out on top in a minority, because their 1C is just that weak.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I think its one of the deepest, but I personally don't think they have a true number #1 which really limits them imo. (Both ROR and Schenn may make me eat crow though)
sounds kinda like nashville

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Lol, has it worked well for the Leafs though? Oilers went further than you guys have went in the last 15 years
Leafs just got Tavares. Hence why he said "now" . Would suit everyone's best interest if you'd actually read the post instead of making immediate judgements based on one keyword..

Last edited:

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I strongly disagree with NYI and Buffalo, Barzal and Eichel alone are not enough. Boston is also debatable, Bergeron is amazing but they lost Riley Nash and Krejci is not what he used to be. Philly depends on whether or not Giroux is playing C, last season he didn't, and how much of a step Nolan Patrick takes this year.

IMO the Blues are firmly in the top 10.

Krejci numbers(ppg) havent changed at all BUT he hasnt been able to stay healthy ... That #3 is a ? Worse case Backes plays 3rd line C... Could be a lot worse

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Im surprised at the votes here, I generally root for the blues in games not involving my team, but Id say they are in the teens. ROR and Schenn are good, but they are both borderline 1/2 Cs and I think it is hard to have a top 10 C group if there is no clear cut "guy"

1) Pittsburgh
2) Edmonton
3) Toronto
4) Lighting
5) Capitals
6) Panthers
7) Predators
8) Kings
9) Bruins
10) Sharks

That'd be my top 10, with the Blues somewhere in the low teens
I voted top 10, but looking at your list, it's hard to say who I'd drop out of the top 10.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
IMO, ROR has the defense of a true #1 while providing the offense of a top-end #2, while Schenn has the offense of a #1 but defensively is more at the middle six level (with Philadelphia he was a disaster defensively, he's been much better on St.Louis). Bozak is in between for both.

So essentially, ROR is 1B, Schenn 2A and Bozak a 2B. Pretty good all-around.

This. They will never be Cup favourites with this group. But they could definitely get it done if they fill out their lineup with young talented wingers.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This. They will never be Cup favourites with this group. But they could definitely get it done if they fill out their lineup with young talented wingers.
The forwards are fine, it's the goaltending that prevents anything. Defense is near the top, Forwards are very solid and easily in the top half conservatively, but goaltending is in the bottom 10 or worse. The worst part of a real contender has to be at least in the top half of the league.

Reactions: Flair Hay

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Lehtera
Stastny
Backes

Blues made it to the conference finals with this group but they still need better surrounding pieces? Schwartz, Tarasenko, Perron, Fabbri, Thomas, Steen, Kyrou, Maroon, Soshnikov. Pretty good mix on the wing. They need a goalie.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Krejci numbers(ppg) havent changed at all BUT he hasnt been able to stay healthy ... That #3 is a ? Worse case Backes plays 3rd line C... Could be a lot worse
Bruins have good Cs, didn't say it was bad, but I think St.Louis has a better 1-2-3 personally. Krejci is good but he's become more injury prone and he's not as good of a 2-way force as he used to be. I remember Krejci in 2011 and 2013 was a monster on both ends of the ice, now he's more of a contributor offensively but doesn't quite drive play like he did before.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The forwards are fine, it's the goaltending that prevents anything. Defense is near the top, Forwards are very solid and easily in the top half conservatively, but goaltending is in the bottom 10 or worse. The worst part of a real contender has to be at least in the top half of the league.
Yep you guys are one legitimate goalie away from being a true Cup contender. Allen's act of starting out hot, fading in the middle of the season then having a resurgence in the final third of the season is getting old.

What tells you the Oilers dont win the cup this year?
Would be pretty shocking. Their wingers are garbage to the point where they have to move Draisaitl to play with McDavid, which is like robbing Peter to pay Paul because then it negatively impacts their C depth in the process. Their D is also trash, so really unless Talbot goes full 2014 Carey Price mode it ain't gonna happen.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I don't think he gets that.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I would honestly rather be the Islanders with Barzal Beauvilier and whoever because at least they have an elite #1C

The Blues are not in my top-10
What happens if he regresses.......well see how well Barzel does now that Tavares isnt there to take the pressure off.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well yes....I'd take him over our guys but ROR/Schenn/Bozak/Thomas is better then what Winnepeg can ice down the middle.

Scheifele is a PPG guy, not McDavid. He doesn't create that seperation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad