• 10-15

• 16-20

• 21-25

• 26-31

Results are only viewable after voting.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
10-15 with the chance to break into the top 10 imo. I think when Klef and Lars are playing like they showed last year, and if Nurse can play like he has to start this year then they break into the top 10 with a healthy Sekera.

To me Klef and Larsson are both very good #2's when on their game, and Klef has the ability to look like a #1 for stretches. Sekera is a very good #3, and Nurse is playing like a very good #4 bordering on #3 atm.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
Top 3, we don't have a top 4 so prolly 16 to 20.

Edit: I agree if we can get consistent early season Nurse from now on I would say we have 4 legit top 4 D men.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
To me Klef and Larsson are both very good #2's when on their game, and Klef has the ability to look like a #1 for stretches. Sekera is a very good #3, and Nurse is playing like a very good #4 bordering on #3 atm.

Are there 31 defencemen in the league better than Larsson?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not using the definition of 1 #1D per team. Don't really feel like arguing semantics either.

Oh well, that's message boards if you are gonna make statements like the Oilers having no 1D.

There are 31 eams in the league. Gotta be 31 #1D.

I think there are a number of teams that Larsson would be the 1D on in the league.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh well, that's message boards if you are gonna make statements like the Oilers having no 1D.

There are 31 eams in the league. Gotta be 31 #1D.

I think there are a number of teams that Larsson would be the 1D on in the league.
Call him whatever you'd like. He's not an above average #1D by your criteria, which by mine is a #2, and a very good one at that.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Sekera is a #2 when playing his natural side. At worst a #3 imo.

Klefbom is all over the map but basically the same.

If Larsson manages to put up 40 points he would be a legit #1. But that really doesn't look to be in the cards for him so he also is in the #2/3 category.

Russell on either side is a solid #4/5.

Nurse is fringing upon being a solid #4/5.

Benning ditto to Nurse and Russell.

So I put our top 4 when healthy as 10-15. If this was about our top 6 I would actually think we would be just making the top 9.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
With Sekera: They've got three good defenseman who probably all qualify as 2/3s. Often Klefbom will flash as something better. Sekera is consistent and well rounded and Larsson is a terrific complimentary defenseman with edge. After that, they've got three to five 5-6-7's playing more than they should be.

With Sekera: The group is probably somewhere around the 20/31 slot. Without: It's a bottom five defense in the NHL.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
With Sekera: They've got three good defenseman who probably all qualify as 2/3s. Often Klefbom will flash as something better. Sekera is consistent and well rounded and Larsson is a terrific complimentary defenseman with edge. After that, they've got three to five 5-6-7's playing more than they should be.

With Sekera: The group is probably somewhere around the 20/31 slot. Without: It's a bottom five defense in the NHL.

Agree with the top part 100%, 3 number 2 or 3 defenceman is what we have, along with a bunch of 5/6/7 playing higher. That's with Sekera.
If Nurse keeps up his play he's 2nd pairing for sure, he used to piss me off but this year I don't seem to swear at him as much ;)

Disagree with your numbers in the bottom though, even without Sekera I think we make top 20 (not that that's a feat)

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Agree with the top part 100%, 3 number 2 or 3 defenceman is what we have, along with a bunch of 5/6/7 playing higher. That's with Sekera.
If Nurse keeps up his play he's 2nd pairing for sure, he used to piss me off but this year I don't seem to swear at him as much ;)

Disagree with your numbers in the bottom though, even without Sekera I think we make top 20 (not that that's a feat)

It's hard to really say because Talbot and an outlier of a top-line swing possession and cover a lot of warts. I have liked Nurse better this year but he's always been a flashy/swingy type player and I need to see more of it.

The D-corps itself is well below average IMO. It just doesn't exist in a vacuum.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
It's hard to really say because Talbot and an outlier of a top-line swing possession and cover a lot of warts. I have liked Nurse better this year but he's always been a flashy/swingy type player and I need to see more of it.

The D-corps itself is well below average IMO. It just doesn't exist in a vacuum.

We're almost splitting hairs, I say average, you say below average. The biggest point is the 3 2/3D and the rest 5/6/7 with Nurse as a wildcard

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Sekera is a #2 when playing his natural side. At worst a #3 imo.

Klefbom is all over the map but basically the same.

If Larsson manages to put up 40 points he would be a legit #1. But that really doesn't look to be in the cards for him so he also is in the #2/3 category.

Russell on either side is a solid #4/5.

Nurse is fringing upon being a solid #4/5.

Benning ditto to Nurse and Russell.

So I put our top 4 when healthy as 10-15. If this was about our top 6 I would actually think we would be just making the top 9.

Nurse is on the fringe of being a solid 4? Tough audience.

If he keeps up his play from the early part of the season he can easily be a #3. Nurse/Sekera is a really good second pairing.

Russell/Benning could be a decent third pairing.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Klefbom: Was a #1 last year, not so much this season. Hopefully he returns to form.
Larsson: Good #3. Lacks the puck moving and offensive ability to be a true top pair guy but works well with Klefbom and rarely has a bad game.
Sekera: Good #3, maybe even a top pair guy after his season last year. His offensive skills are underrated and he might be one of the best 3on3 players in the league.
Russell: #5-6 guy who offers nothing outside of being able to eat minutes. Useless at anything that doesn't involve blocking shots.

Nurse is looking like a legit 2nd pairing guy. He's really impressed me this year and if he keeps this up I'll definitely be eating crow for doubting him this summer. If Klefbom returns to form and Sekera recovers from his injury they've got a pretty decent top 4. In their current state I'd say they're in the bottom half of the league and they really lack an offensive RHD. Wish we could somehow dump 4x4 and acquire someone like Barrie.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Healthy Sekera middle of the pack.

Nurse has really grown this year maybe upper middle of the pack with healthy Sekera and Nurse playing the way he is.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Lets look at who has a better top four:

LA-Doughty alone puts them over us.
Ottawa-Karlsson. Ditto.
Minnesota-Suter, Spurgeon, yup.
SJ-Burns and Vlasic. No brainer.
Chicago-Keith and Seabrook.
Nashville....
Calgary- I think their D is overated but its still better than ours.
Anaheim-They are better as well.
Columbus-better
St.Louis-No brainer
Tampa Bay- easy for them
Carolina. I think so

What about Rangers, Bruins, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Capitals?

I think Edmonton healthy is 15th at the very best and more likely somewhere around 20ish.

I'm surprised at all the 10-15 votes. I dont see anyway that you could call the Oilers top 4 top ten given the other competition in the league.

If given the choice between 10-20 and 15-25, I think the second is more accurate.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Lets look at who has a better top four:

LA-Doughty alone puts them over us.
Ottawa-Karlsson. Ditto.
Minnesota-Suter, Spurgeon, yup.
SJ-Burns and Vlasic. No brainer.
Chicago-Keith and Seabrook.
Nashville....
Calgary- I think their D is overated but its still better than ours.
Anaheim-They are better as well.
Columbus-better
St.Louis-No brainer
Tampa Bay- easy for them
Carolina. I think so

What about Rangers, Bruins, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Capitals?

I think Edmonton healthy is 15th at the very best and more likely somewhere around 20ish.

I'm surprised at all the 10-15 votes. I dont see anyway that you could call the Oilers top 4 top ten given the other competition in the league.

If given the choice between 10-20 and 15-25, I think the second is more accurate.

I'd say when healthy we're better than Caps and Montreal, maybe Rangers and Bruins, and fairly close to the pens. That would put us cleanly in the 10-15 range, and I think most people who voted the same as me would agree.

Sekera is a really good dman, with him our d core looks completely different IMO.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
With a healthy Sekera, I'd say it's easily top 15. Hell, just look at the Capitals D tonight. Most teams don't have a ton of depth (except Nashville and Vegas, hording all their Dmen, of course). Might even be top 10-12 ish if Sekera comes back in top or near top form (unlikely, but you never know).

Or maybe I'm being a homer. I have the flu, so too lazy to look up D depth on all of the teams. Would rather sleep.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Nurse is on the fringe of being a solid 4? Tough audience.

If he keeps up his play from the early part of the season he can easily be a #3. Nurse/Sekera is a really good second pairing.

Russell/Benning could be a decent third pairing.

I honestly have not been paying attention to him/his match ups that much but despite how good he has played I have assumed his quality of competition has still been a bit too low to hearald him a true top 4 defenseman yet. Small sample size and still limited offense... Seems too early for too much congratulations for Nurse.

Also, Sekera is more #2 when playing his left side and more a #3 on his off side. Biggest problem with Nurse is he is a leftie.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I'd say when healthy we're better than Caps and Montreal, maybe Rangers and Bruins, and fairly close to the pens. That would put us cleanly in the 10-15 range, and I think most people who voted the same as me would agree.

Sekera is a really good dman, with him our d core looks completely different IMO.

I'm not sure we would ever be cleanly in the 10-15 range. Is our D-core better than Winnipeg?

What about Arizona? Despite their team being hot garbage on the ice this year, their top 4 defence looks very good and I think they would perform quite well in fromt of Talbot and behind Mcdavid.

Lots of teams I didn't list that also have good players.

I really don't see how we are anything but in the mushy middle.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'm not sure we would ever be cleanly in the 10-15 range. Is our D-core better than Winnipeg?

What about Arizona? Despite their team being hot garbage on the ice this year, their top 4 defence looks very good and I think they would perform quite well in fromt of Talbot and behind Mcdavid.

Lots of teams I didn't list that also have good players.

I really don't see how we are anything but in the mushy middle.

I'm also quite surprised by Arizona's start, but given their lack of overall success over many years I'm going to have to take a 'believe it when I see it' approach to their defence. Winnipeg's defence is overrated imo. As bad as their goalies have been, their team coughs up chances all day. I'd only take Trouba, Buff or Myers on our team from their D, and Buff is super unreliable defensively while Myers is always hurt.

Our D is really missing an offensive element but is generally quite good defensively when healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad