Where do the Jackets finish in the Metro this season?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
http://www.columbusalive.com/conten...ve-keys-to-a-winning-blue-jackets-season.html

That's pretty much my top 5 keys to the season, although I'd add that I don't think this is a very good hockey team.

Of the 5, I'm most encouraged by Bob and by the Monsters carryover, particularly with Werenski, who's shown nothing to dissuade the hype.

However, I'm very concerned about the effects of the camp and how sluggish they've looked this preseason. I know that's been by design, but I'm not so sure that it's as simple as flipping off a switch, the way some have portrayed it.

I went with 7th. Wish I could be more optimistic, but for now, I'm just not.

Last edited by a moderator:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Although we won't be as bad as the beginning of the year last year, I don't think we are better than many other NHL teams. Somewhere around 6-8th.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Opening stretch of games and the appearance of being terrible in the pre-season don't give rise to optimism. I'll be slightly more optimistic than Sam and go for 6th.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
6th

I do think they will be better at keeping the puck out of the net, but I just don't see them being skilled enough to finish higher then 6th. I just see them being better then Carolina and New Jersey, but not the other five.

I do believe in miracles, though. :cheers:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
4th. Bob and Foligno rebound, Werenski shines. It's enough to be in a dog-fight for the playoffs with the Jackets claiming 7th or 8th spot in the conference.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Voted 8th. That way I can say, "TOLD YOU SO!!" when they suck, and can be pleasantly surprised when they make the playoffs.

CBJ103

Mar 15, 2011
Powell, OH
2nd in the Metro.
Trip to Eastern Conference Finals.
Discussions in April and May will be about lack of playoff ticket availability and high prices.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
For this season to have a hint of a chance of making the playoffs, these things will have to happen:

1) Bob needs a return to near Vezina form. He must be durable as well.

2) Somehow, a functional #1C has to emerge from the trio of Jenner, Dubinsky and Wennberg. I'm almost certain that Wennberg isn't it. Dubinsky is a long shot. Jenner probably has the best chance, but I don't think he's quite talented enough to do it.

3) Foligno has to rebound to 55-60 point form.

4) Jenner, Atkinson and Saad need to come close to replicating last season's production.

5) Hartnell can't fall of the age cliff-he needs to be able to produce 45-50 points.

6) Jones AND Murray have to play to a level which many of this boad think that they're capable of. They have to be a legitimate top pairing, not a top-pairing-in-the-making.

7) Werenski has to be better than rookie defensemen usually are. A typical rookie-type, mistake-laden debut won't cut it.

8) Jack Johnson has to be serviceable. He can't regress ala Tyutin.

I think there's way too much which has to happen for the CBJ to be a playoff contender. The cumulative total of two post season victories in a decade and a half is likely to remain just that.

Last edited:

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
2nd in the Metro.
Trip to Eastern Conference Finals.
Discussions in April and May will be about lack of playoff ticket availability and high prices.

I will make the April Fool's day thread here in a minute. I suggest you move your answer over

:laugh:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
For this season to have a hint of a chance of making the playoffs, these things will have to happen:

1) Bob needs a return to near Vezina form. He must be durable as well.

2) Somehow, a functional #1C has to emerge from the trio of Jenner, Dubinsky and Wennberg. I'm almost certain that Wennberg isn't it. Dubinsky is a long shot. Jenner probably has the best chance, but I don't think he's quite talented enough to do it.

3) Foligno has to rebound to 55-60 point form.

4) Jenner, Atkinson and Saad need to come close to replicating last season's production.

5) Hartnell can't fall of the age cliff-he needs to be able to produce 45-50 points.

6) Jones AND Murray have to play to a level which many of this boad think that they're capable of. They have to be a legitimate top pairing, not a top-pairing-in-the-making.

7) Werenski has to be better than rookie defensemen usually are. A typical rookie-type, mistake-laden debut won't cut it.

8) Jack Johnson has to be serviceable. He can't regress ala Tyutin.

I think there's way too much which has to happen for the CBJ to be a playoff contender. The cumulative total of two post season victories in a decade and a half is likely to remain just that.

Good post, CR. My only caveat would be that I think most, though not all of these things must happen....except your number 1) must happen.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Good list CR, but like Moe said, we are a playoff team if some of those things happen, not all.

Or even just one of them! If we got Vezina Bob last year, we'd have been in the playoffs. If team save percentage went from .912 to .928 (Bob was .908 last year, .932 Vezina), we'd allow goals on 7.2% of shots rather than 8.8%. Multiply that ratio by last season's 252 goals against (.072/.088*252) and the Jackets suddenly have a nice positive goal differential, 219 For, 206 Against.

I came here to say if we get World Cup Bob we're in. Or if we get something in between and Murray and Jones play like they did in the World Cup, and the forwards stay the same, we're in. I'm not counting on those things happening, but that is the margin between 8th and 4th in the division.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Obviously how other teams perform impacts us as well. Other than Pittsburgh & Washington I see question marks on all the other teams. Is Lundqvist past prime? Does losing Brassard hurt? Will Nash rebound to 35 g's? Philly runs hot & cold. Will Giroux stay healthy? Can Ghost have another great season?Isles have lost some guys, added some, who knows? If Hall improves the devils offense they may surprise with Schneider in goal. Carolina could beat us out.

Anywhere from 4th on down is possible in my mind but my vote is still 6th.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Make that 7th. Eighth would give a better draft pick.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Good list CR, but like Moe said, we are a playoff team if some of those things happen, not all.

Or even just one of them! If we got Vezina Bob last year, we'd have been in the playoffs. If team save percentage went from .912 to .928 (Bob was .908 last year, .932 Vezina), we'd allow goals on 7.2% of shots rather than 8.8%. Multiply that ratio by last season's 252 goals against (.072/.088*252) and the Jackets suddenly have a nice positive goal differential, 219 For, 206 Against.

I came here to say if we get World Cup Bob we're in. Or if we get something in between and Murray and Jones play like they did in the World Cup, and the forwards stay the same, we're in. I'm not counting on those things happening, but that is the margin between 8th and 4th in the division.

I'd think that my points 6,7, and 8 have to occur if point 1 is to happen.

I just don't see this team having much of a margin of error for them to make the playoffs. The lack of elite talent almost necessitates that every piece of this team performs close to their optimal levels.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad