Where Do Stats Matter Most? Goalies?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
It is only save percentage. GAA is a team statistic.

It is all relative, but I agree with this. I would like to add wins as being a team statistic. If a team limits shots, only gives up low percentage shots, and clears rebounds, the goalie, no matter who he is (unless it is a Flyers goalie, in particular Brian Boucher) will have great numbers.

I remember a game several years ago, Devils vs. Vancouver in which Brodeur faced 8 shots. Yet Brodeur gets accolades for a shut out while at that time the likes of Luongo was facing 40 shots a game with Florida. I am not saying this to make Luongo out to be better than Brodeur (I'd take Brodeur from a few years ago), I am just trying to show that a goalie facing 8 low percentage shots will likely save them. It's not Brodeur's fault, he played/plays on great teams. This is why I hate goalie stats, although I think of them all, sv% is the best indicator.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
picture.php

chris_osgood-lifting-stanley-cup1.jpg

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
+/- is very overrated. It's a team stat, and doesn't consider match-up issues (ie. Pronger and Chara always going up against other teams top lines).
It's also only indicative of anything accurate when a large enough sample size is available. I'd give a good plus/minus rating far more merit now than earlier in the season.

mimic

Nov 18, 2009
Michigan
It is all relative, but I agree with this. I would like to add wins as being a team statistic. If a team limits shots, only gives up low percentage shots, and clears rebounds, the goalie, no matter who he is (unless it is a Flyers goalie, in particular Brian Boucher) will have great numbers.

I remember a game several years ago, Devils vs. Vancouver in which Brodeur faced 8 shots. Yet Brodeur gets accolades for a shut out while at that time the likes of Luongo was facing 40 shots a game with Florida. I am not saying this to make Luongo out to be better than Brodeur (I'd take Brodeur from a few years ago), I am just trying to show that a goalie facing 8 low percentage shots will likely save them. It's not Brodeur's fault, he played/plays on great teams. This is why I hate goalie stats, although I think of them all, sv% is the best indicator.

Still could be argued it means nothing. Then you have to take in quality of shots and take the bias out of the hometeam scorekeeper which neither can be done.

Ronk

Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
save % is fine but it doesn't take into account the quality of chances, nor does any stat. So for goaltenders would it be more of an eyeball test by watching several of them and getting an idea of what each brings to the table?

Bill McCreary

Self-Righteous
Jan 4, 2009
New York City
I actually think stats are most worthless when considering goaltenders. There's a measurement that considers when goalies make the big saves at the big times, it's called the Stanley Cup.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
save % is fine but it doesn't take into account the quality of chances, nor does any stat. So for goaltenders would it be more of an eyeball test by watching several of them and getting an idea of what each brings to the table?

I like this the best. Too often people only rely on stats because they don't actually watch the goalies - although I am guilty of this myself! I must be justly condemned with those whom I condemn!

jabberhockey

Oct 17, 2008
To quote Twain, "there are lies, damned lies and statistics." That said, here are my favorites:

For goalies: 1) SV% 2) Shutouts 3) GAA
For forwards: 1) Points 2) Goals 3) Assists
For defense: 1) Time on Ice 2) Points 3) +/-

I'm not all that keen on the +/- statistic unless I'm comparing players on the same team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad