Referees: Where do I find referee stuff?

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
I'm looking to get started as a ref soon, hopefully by the next USA Hockey registration cycle if I can get good enough at skating and get the gear. I know that there are plenty of online retailers that stock referee stuff, from general hockey retailers like Pure Hockey and Goalie Monkey to more specialized retailers such as RefShop and Officials Wearhouse. However, I'll need to try out stuff to know my sizes for sure. This will also help me find out if wearing padded pants or padded shirts/vests under the uniform affects sizing (I wear small t-shirts and referee uniforms for other sports, and have a 31" waist. I'm also 5'11, about 170 lbs).

Is there anywhere in the DC area with a good selection of hockey referee equipment? East Coast Hockey and Skating in Laurel has some stuff, but I have not seen padded pants, ref-specific shinguards, or protective shirts/vests like the Stevens vest. The Pure Hockey website shows some referee stuff, including padded pants and jerseys, but the Force padded pants don't look to be as good as the Bauer or Stevens padded pants. If I'm not mistaken, the Rockville Pure Hockey should have selection similar to the website.

Xanlet

Apr 16, 2013
B.C.
I'm looking to get started as a ref soon, hopefully by the next USA Hockey registration cycle if I can get good enough at skating and get the gear. I know that there are plenty of online retailers that stock referee stuff, from general hockey retailers like Pure Hockey and Goalie Monkey to more specialized retailers such as RefShop and Officials Wearhouse. However, I'll need to try out stuff to know my sizes for sure. This will also help me find out if wearing padded pants or padded shirts/vests under the uniform affects sizing (I wear small t-shirts and referee uniforms for other sports, and have a 31" waist. I'm also 5'11, about 170 lbs).

Is there anywhere in the DC area with a good selection of hockey referee equipment? East Coast Hockey and Skating in Laurel has some stuff, but I have not seen padded pants, ref-specific shinguards, or protective shirts/vests like the Stevens vest. The Pure Hockey website shows some referee stuff, including padded pants and jerseys, but the Force padded pants don't look to be as good as the Bauer or Stevens padded pants. If I'm not mistaken, the Rockville Pure Hockey should have selection similar to the website.
Not sure what it's like down in the States, but in Canada pretty much every sporting goods store has at least some ref stuff. Personally, I wore the shin guards I used as a player as well as the elbow pads which were actually lacrosse elbow pads but I liked because they allow more flexibility. I did wear a referee's girdle under my ref pants which worked great for me but I never wore a padded shirt. I reffed up to the Tier 1 (AAA) midget and never had a problem, but probably safer to wear one haha. Also I found cheap visors off of Amazon that I just swapped out in my player helmet. Jerseys, pants, whistles, and shin tights were all available at any store that sold hockey stuff.

I would bet that when you attend the referee clinic they'll probably point you in the right direction. Sometimes you can get a good deal through someone involved in your organization, all depends on what it's like in your local area.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
When I was umpiring baseball and reffing football, I bought most of my stuff from Honig's and they sold for most sports. Monkey Sports sells ref uniforms.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

I would just go with Officials Wearhouse. If anything doesn't fit you can just send it back for the correct size. I definitely wouldn't be getting smalls however at your size, that won't fit.

Also I wouldn't really recommend getting the padded vest, likely you will be lower level your first year or two so you won't need to worry about getting struck with a hard clearing attempt. Most people don't wear one either at any level. Definitely elbow pads though at any level!

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I would just go with Officials Wearhouse. If anything doesn't fit you can just send it back for the correct size. I definitely wouldn't be getting smalls however at your size, that won't fit.

Also I wouldn't really recommend getting the padded vest, likely you will be lower level your first year or two so you won't need to worry about getting struck with a hard clearing attempt. Most people don't wear one either at any level. Definitely elbow pads though at any level!
At lower levels, agree on elbow pads, shin guards that cover the knee, and obviously a helmet. Biggest concern is a kid skating into you from behind and taking you out more so than a puck to the chest.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad