Where can I find voting records for the Conn Smythe Trophy?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Historically, it's a few local guys on each side and then the rest is "national coverage" guys. I'm not sure if there's a specific formula to it or whatever...but it's been this way for quite a while. "International" influence is good, provided that they are and have been covering the NHL game...which I don't doubt, per the above post.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I don't know what the rules are but there are plenty of Swedes in the league and Per Bjurman has lived in New York and covered the NHL for the Swedish audience for almost twenty years as a news paper journalist.

He's an entertaining writer (originally reviewed music back in the 90's when that was the shit) but I wouldn't say he's particularly knowledgeable about hockey, very mainstream in his views from what I've seen.

Agreed on all points. I used to occasionally follow his live blog/commentary or whatever covering the NHL playoffs a few years back. Per my recollections, he’d quite often mention North American hockey media buddies and their takes on things. He seemed to nurture quite the familiar atmosphere with the regulars in the comment section and he’s pretty entertaining to read but — as you implied — is fairly mainstream in his takes and tends to hook onto the popular narratives from North American media.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
1965 Conn Smythe

The Hockey News - May 1 said:
"I think [Glenn] Hall should have won that award" said [Chicago Black Hawks coach Billy Reay].

Hall and Hawks' Bobby Hull were the Chicago players in the running for the award, which also carried a $1,000 cash bonus to the winner. Beliveau and J.C. Tremblay were the pick of the Montrealers and the six NHL governors, who selected the winner in a vote after the final game of the series, had to make up their minds between the four.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Just the notion Gretzky could have lost another Smythe is pretty insane. The Hextall one is the only sensible one.

The first year I remember voting results being released to the public for the Conn Smythe was 2016. Before that, I'm not sure.

I went and googled the results for anyone interested. I'll only list the top-3 each year. Points in brackets

1. Sidney Crosby (63)
2. Phil Kessel (60)
3. Kris Letang (18)

1. Sidney Crosby (67)
2. Evgeni Malkin (49)
3. Jake Guentzel (15)

1. Alex Ovechkin (80)
2. Evgeny Kuznetsov (64)
3. Braden Holtby (16)

1. Ryan O'Reilly (78)
2. Jordan Binnington (46)
3. Tuukka Rask (21)

1. Victor Hedman (70)
2. Brayden Point (66)
3. Nikita Kucherov (25)

1. Andrei Vasilevskiy (82)
2. Nikita Kucherov (60)
3. Brayden Point (16)
To me the bolded will always make more sense though not as a steal type situation I just think in both cases there is a not so tiny margin where I think they deserved it more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad