Where are they now? Complete list of NHLers playing overseas

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
What ever happened to . . . ?

It’s a question almost every hockey fan has asked themselves or somebody else at one point or another. The hardcores and trivia junkies sometimes have the answer on the tip of their tongue or top of their mind. Other times, their response is delayed as they consult one of a few good friends — Google/Wikipedia, HockeyDB or EliteProspects. Those four websites, individually or combined, can typically tell you who is playing where at any given time.

You can now add a fifth bookmark — this blog — at least for the 2013-14 season.

Regular contributor Jesse Gill has really outdid himself this time, by compiling a one-stop shop for answers to all the who, what, when, where, why and hows of the hockey world in regards to former NHLers playing abroad in Europe and Asia.

This encyclopedia of hockey knowledge lists each league and team outside of North America that featured a player during the 2013-14 season with at least one regular-season NHL game on their resume.

In summary, there were 610 former or current NHL players employed in 34 different leagues.

See the full list here: http://larry-fisher.com/2014/05/02/where-are-they-now-complete-list-of-nhlers-playing-overseas/

Last edited:

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Good call, this blog is mostly about "former" NHLers although some "current" NHLers did play part of this season overseas. I left out the word "former" in the blog headline for visual reasons as it would spilled to a second line. Hope you enjoyed the actual list nevertheless!

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Good call, this blog is mostly about "former" NHLers although some "current" NHLers did play part of this season overseas. I left out the word "former" in the blog headline for visual reasons as it would spilled to a second line. Hope you enjoyed the actual list nevertheless!

Interesting article. Not sure it needs to be here and on the main board though. :dunno:

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
That...and I thought this list would be of particular interest to the Oilers board and Oilers fans, considering so many failed/busted prospects are still playing overseas. It's fun to keep tabs on Jani Rita and Tony Salmelainen, not to mention Robbie Schremp and Marc-Antoine Pouliot, the list goes on and on. Hope some of you at least appreciate the work Jesse Gill put into compiling this list and find entertainment in sifting through it. Enjoy!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Interesting list I have to say, a few names surprise me, in the fact they are still playing.

Brent Sopel
Ladislav Nagy (He was really good for a little while)
Mikko Luoma (remember him)
Jaroslav Svoboda (is he like 50?)
Jamie Lundmark
Justin Pogge (lol Leafs)
Andrei Zyuzin
Bryan Young(? hahahaha)
Sébastien Bisaillon HAHAHA

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
Ladislav Nagy (He was really good for a little while)

Ladislav Nagy was so good he's listed as playing in both the SM-Liiga and Slovak Extraliga ;)

Some really interesting names on here. I can easily spot a bunch of guys that would be better on our team than the black hole of suck that is our 4th line*.

*or defence corps. Take your pick.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
There's actually a lot of interesting names on there that I would suspect still have a shot at playing in the NHL. One guy I always liked, and who is still only 26 years old is Peter Mueller. He had some pretty decent years and is a big center. What's the story on him? Have injuries done him in?

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Ladislav Nagy was one of the 52 players on this list to play in multiple leagues last season, according to his eliteprospects.com profile profile.

Thanks to the good posters at HFBoards, we have added a total of 10 more former NHLers from our original list as well as 2 more leagues. Among them, another former Oilers draft pick in David Vyborny: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=1920

Crazy thing about Ladislav Nagy is that he only turns 35 next month. He left the NHL seven seasons ago, so he would have only been 27 back then.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That...and I thought this list would be of particular interest to the Oilers board and Oilers fans, considering so many failed/busted prospects are still playing overseas. It's fun to keep tabs on Jani Rita and Tony Salmelainen, not to mention Robbie Schremp and Marc-Antoine Pouliot, the list goes on and on. Hope some of you at least appreciate the work Jesse Gill put into compiling this list and find entertainment in sifting through it. Enjoy!

Not really, most of us rather forget those guys:(

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
I remember Pierre McGuire ****ing himself when we didnt select this guy:

Marek Schwarz – (6 NHL Games) – Liberec Bili Tygri HC *(Also played in 2.nhl Czech2)

oilersblue

Jun 23, 2006
Love these sort of lists and their nostalgic value, thanks for it!

One interesting note: is the infamous Mike Danton trying to set a record for most countries played in? He's up to 8 now: Canada, US, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Sweden, Romania, Kazakhstan, Poland.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Love these sort of lists and their nostalgic value, thanks for it!

One interesting note: is the infamous Mike Danton trying to set a record for most countries played in? He's up to 8 now: Canada, US, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Sweden, Romania, Kazakhstan, Poland.

Not a bad way to travel the world and get paid to do it. Although I wonder how much he could actually make in Poland or Romania.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I remember Pierre McGuire ****ing himself when we didnt select this guy:

Marek Schwarz – (6 NHL Games) – Liberec Bili Tygri HC *(Also played in 2.nhl Czech2)

Yea we got Dubnyk instead. Marginally better.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Great list. Seems to be updated a little from the main board thread. Interesting to see Shremp still kicking around

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
Not a bad way to travel the world and get paid to do it. Although I wonder how much he could actually make in Poland or Romania.
Given how absurdly cheap the cost of living is in those countries, even if his actual salary is lower than a player elsewhere he'd probably bank quite a bit.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

Over double what you'd make in the ECHL, plus you don't have to pay taxes on it, and you get your housing and food covered. He actually played on the team that won the league last year.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad