Movies: Where are movies made now?

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Outside of California if it's filmed in North America chances are it'll be in Toronto/Southern Ontario, Vancouver, or Georgia. All offer significant tax breaks as far as I know as well as a decent variety of shooting locations.

I don't know of any map that could show you but keep in mind there are 1000s of things you'll never hear of being filmed at any given time. I think there are 4 or 5 different Christmas movies being filmed in Hamilton, ON last and/or this week

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Outside of California if it's filmed in North America chances are it'll be in Toronto/Southern Ontario, Vancouver, or Georgia. All offer significant tax breaks as far as I know as well as a decent variety of shooting locations.

I don't know of any map that could show you but keep in mind there are 1000s of things you'll never hear of being filmed at any given time. I think there are 4 or 5 different Christmas movies being filmed in Hamilton, ON last and/or this week

Ottawa is full of Christmas movie shootings as well.

I think they shot two on my street last year. We got the notices in our mailbox.

Reactions: barriers

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Kind of old now being from 2018

1699366071470.png

1699366085405.png

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
IMDb often lists filming locations for movies. Go to a movie's page, then "All topics" in the upper right, then "Filming & Production." Here's an example:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
At one point, Montreal was becoming a popular film location. My ex-wife worked in casting on plenty of productions here in the 1990s, including The Whole Nine Yards. Saw a few celebrities in various productions. It began drying up in the early 2000s when other Canadian cities leapfrogged over Montreal with tax incentives.

Reactions: John Price

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
There seem to be more generic location shoots. And less movies shot in a specific location because the location itself is integral to the movie. Obviously, costs are usually the main factor behind these decisions. Sometimes you just need a location to do certain scenes. The bank heist in "Heat" for example. You couldn't dress up Hamilton enough to make it look like the streets of Los Angeles.

My Best-Carey

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
There seem to be more generic location shoots. And less movies shot in a specific location because the location itself is integral to the movie. Obviously, costs are usually the main factor behind these decisions. Sometimes you just need a location to do certain scenes. The bank heist in "Heat" for example. You couldn't dress up Hamilton enough to make it look like the streets of Los Angeles.

My Best-Carey
That's what Vancouver is for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad