When's the best time to buy tickets?

Snilsson

Jul 6, 2016
Chicago
I appreciate the input from everybody! Really helpful.
I might do 'the wrong thing' and buy tickets to the home opener soon though. I'm worried the prices will go up and/or sell out.

Last edited:

Blackhawks26

6 time Cup Champions
Jun 17, 2011
Orland Park IL
I've been on the waitlist for season tickets since before the 2013 cup. While being on the wait list I'm doing my undergrad at ISU. My plan was to get the tickets while I was still in school and just re sell them on the secondary market. The Hawks offered me season tickets this year but it was only for section 326, rows 16 or 17... it would have been like $5,000 for 2 seats. If they played how they did last year, there is no way I'd make that money back.

As for this upcoming season, I'd anticipate tickets being the cheapest right before the game starts.

Snilsson

Jul 6, 2016
Chicago
Btw, I hate going to games alone and since I'm new to the city and my wife doesn't love going to games I would love to tag along if anyone else is going to a game. Just send me a message!

Reactions: valeriammm

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You should be able to buy them this year for cheap right before the game on the secondary market.

This is your answer. I have not seen the Hawks discount any tix since 2009 or so. Problem is you might find good deals on the 2nd market but those fees. The ticket exchange is nuts, stub hub is a little better. Best bet would be direct with a seller. CL you can get scammed so verify them.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I've been on the waitlist for season tickets since before the 2013 cup. While being on the wait list I'm doing my undergrad at ISU. My plan was to get the tickets while I was still in school and just re sell them on the secondary market. The Hawks offered me season tickets this year but it was only for section 326, rows 16 or 17... it would have been like $5,000 for 2 seats. If they played how they did last year, there is no way I'd make that money back.

As for this upcoming season, I'd anticipate tickets being the cheapest right before the game starts.

Yeah, you can't really make decent money on these things anymore. I had season tix up until 2013 and it was a chore to list and get your money back. Obviously playoff games will sell at a premium and certain match ups with good times. The avenues to sell are taking a larger %% and then the Hawks will dump some last minute tix on TM day of game. Last year was the 1st time I didn't go to one game since the mid 90's. I just had zero interest.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
This is your answer. I have not seen the Hawks discount any tix since 2009 or so. Problem is you might find good deals on the 2nd market but those fees. The ticket exchange is nuts, stub hub is a little better. Best bet would be direct with a seller. CL you can get scammed so verify them.

Stubhub and ticket exchange are exactly the same costs. They both take a ridiculous 25% commission from the trade. They just charge the buyers and sellers differently.

Ticket exchange restricts the sellers from going below the face value of the ticket. So that means their sales volume this year will be next to nothing. The poor STH's will be cutting each others throats by continually lowering their prices on stub hub. And when the hawks dump half priced tickets on game days again it will be a bloodbath.

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
Stubhub and ticket exchange are exactly the same costs. They both take a ridiculous 25% commission from the trade. They just charge the buyers and sellers differently.

Ticket exchange restricts the sellers from going below the face value of the ticket. So that means their sales volume this year will be next to nothing. The poor STH's will be cutting each others throats by continually lowering their prices on stub hub. And when the hawks dump half priced tickets on game days again it will be a bloodbath.
I use TickPick as it is the middleman with the lowest cut allowing one to get tickets well below stubhub. Some swear by getting tickets on the day of the game but for me it never worked as best tickets disappeared, what worked was getting them about 3 weeks prior to the game. TickPick marks deals on expected value like A+ or A then one knows deal is good and game is worth going.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I use TickPick as it is the middleman with the lowest cut allowing one to get tickets well below stubhub. Some swear by getting tickets on the day of the game but for me it never worked as best tickets disappeared, what worked was getting them about 3 weeks prior to the game. TickPick marks deals on expected value like A+ or A then one knows deal is good and game is worth going.

Maybe that's the case but I recall Exhange charging me like a $75 per ticket fee and the tix were like $200 a piece. This was a playoff game. I do have a broker that emails me pretty good deals on Hawks tix. Let me know and I'll give you his email

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Even if money was no issue I don't know if I would want Season tix. It can be a chore if you're not up for going some nights. I'd rather pick games I'm going to. Unless you're a business entertaining you have to be really committed. The tix are not the only expense at least when I go with parking, food and drinks.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Even if money was no issue I don't know if I would want Season tix. It can be a chore if you're not up for going some nights. I'd rather pick games I'm going to. Unless you're a business entertaining you have to be really committed. The tix are not the only expense at least when I go with parking, food and drinks.

Bang on. And the novelty of going to games goes down every game. I ended up feeling like a caged animal last year. No one to sell tickets to and no desire to go.

Like I said before rebuilding teams are best watched on the couch. And if you REALLY want to go there will be tickets at the box office. Last year McDonough started dumping half price tickets on game days starting in January. I would expect it to happen even earlier this year.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Bang on. And the novelty of going to games goes down every game. I ended up feeling like a caged animal last year. No one to sell tickets to and no desire to go.

Like I said before rebuilding teams are best watched on the couch. And if you REALLY want to go there will be tickets at the box office. Last year McDonough started dumping half price tickets on game days starting in January. I would expect it to happen even earlier this year.

I finally got off the STH waitlist this year and grabbed two 100-level seats, but honestly, unless I had found 3 other people to split the season 4-ways with, I am not sure I would have taken the plunge.

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
Btw, I hate going to games alone and since I'm new to the city and my wife doesn't love going to games I would love to tag along if anyone else is going to a game. Just send me a message!
im down! Im also new to the city, coming in fromm Tennessee, depending on how expensive the tickets are nearing game days id love to catch a few

Reactions: Snilsson

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
Ive never been to a game here in Chicago, are there scalpers outside? i saw them all over for a cubs game, are there people outside usually reselling tickets? and does anyone know if its usually at a decent rate, assuming the hawks keep up at the rate they are going?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Ive never been to a game here in Chicago, are there scalpers outside? i saw them all over for a cubs game, are there people outside usually reselling tickets? and does anyone know if its usually at a decent rate, assuming the hawks keep up at the rate they are going?

I’ve never been comfortable buying tix on the street - counterfeits. I’m sure most are good but I would look online, StubHub, Exchange ... etc a few hours before the game.

Also just the act of pulling out a wad of cash on the street is probably not the best idea

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
I’ve never been comfortable buying tix on the street - counterfeits. I’m sure most are good but I would look online, StubHub, Exchange ... etc a few hours before the game.

Also just the act of pulling out a wad of cash on the street is probably not the best idea
Im just desperate for hockey. And broke. I dont even carry cash, but hell if it meant dirt cheap tix I just might start lol

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Im just desperate for hockey. And broke. I dont even carry cash, but hell if it meant dirt cheap tix I just might start lol

I think there would be some good deals day of games. 1st check the Hawks site, ticketmaster and then work to Stubhub or Exchange although they have fees.

The fees on the Exchange pretty much screwed STH, challenging to get your money back for the tix especially with the Hawks dumping last minute tix.

Reactions: valeriammm

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I usually do day-of tix. I grabbed some decently priced tickets to the home opener and I'm pretty stoked though. Hawks will probably lose with no Corey, but it'll be fun to see Tavares and the Leafs!

Reactions: Snilsson

Snilsson

Jul 6, 2016
Chicago
I got two tickets to the Blues game the 13th. Section 329, row 1.
Problem is that my family is visiting me and they really want to go to the game so I need two more tickets on section 329, row 1 or I have to sell these so I can buy four new tickets.
Let me know if anyone's interested, I'm definitely not out here to earn a buck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad