Speculation: When will we trade for Erik Cole?

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
The article doesn't mention it, but reading between the lines... Erik Cole want return a Cane?

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/could-this-be-coles-last-season-in-the-nhl

Will this be Erik Cole’s last season in the NHL?

Pat Hickey reports that Cole, speaking to the media Friday in Brossard, said family considerations and unhappiness over the new collective bargaining agreement will force him to review his situation at the end of the season.

“I enjoyed my time at home and the kids are in school here until the end of June and we’ll reevaluate things after that,” said Cole, who first raised the prospect of early retirement in October.

“I want to have a conversation with the (players association) about some of the escrow stuff and some of the fearsome things in the new CBA. Family-wise it’s a transition year with my daughter in school next year and I think it’s something to be considered and everybody should consider this when they look at the new CBA, not just the way it affects the group but how it affects you individually.”

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
July 1st, 2013
Jim Rutherford: "We are pleased to announce that the team has traded for Erik Cole. We wish Justin Faulk the best in Montreal."

July 2nd, 2013
Erik Cole: "I am sad to announce my retirement from the National Hockey League"

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
July 1st, 2013
Jim Rutherford: "We are pleased to announce that the team has traded for Erik Cole. We wish Justin Faulk the best in Montreal."

July 2nd, 2013
Erik Cole: "I am sad to announce my retirement from the National Hockey League"

July 3rd, 2013

Jim Rutherford: "We were disappointed that we missed out on the opportunity to have Erik play for us again, but we're proud to announce two major events in the history of this organization. First, Erik's #26 will be retired by the Canes tomorrow. Second, we've traded Zach Boychuk and our 2014 2nd round pick for Tomas Kaberle."

Tripp Tracy: "Watershed."

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
July 4th, 2013

Jim Rutherford: "We are pleased to announce the return and signing of Anton Babchuk. About a month ago, a poster on an internet message board named "HisIceness" made a thread titled "Dear JR, bring back the Anton". I read it and the replies it received and I could not agree more with said poster. Babchuk was the Norris trophy winner for a reason and we are excited to bring him back. Not only are we trying to please our fans, we are also trying to get people part of the "go green" movement to gain interest in our team. After all, no team recycles quite like we do. We will miss Eric Staal and we wish him well in Calgary but his laziness and jealousy of Jeff Skinner caused friction in our locker room. We like our group".

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The article doesn't mention it, but reading between the lines... Erik Cole want return a Cane?

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/could-this-be-coles-last-season-in-the-nhl

Jokes aside, that's not how I read that. Seems like, fair or not, he's not happy about getting less money than he thought he was and is going to pitch a fit and take his ball and go home. Kind of falls in line with his leaving here to chase the money thing he did before last year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm not 100% either way. Cole also seems like a family guy and if the fam is putting pressure on him to stay in NC and retire or request a trade back here, he'll do just that. I honestly think he's using the lockout and his rather outspoken stance about that as a rather convenient rationale. In the end though I think he'll request the trade.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, he'll be traded back here at some point. Which is ridiculous, since I'm sure he can simply retire in Montreal then move back to Raleigh. A trade to the Canes before his retirement isn't necessary.

But it's JR so...

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
I'm not 100% either way. Cole also seems like a family guy and if the fam is putting pressure on him to stay in NC and retire or request a trade back here, he'll do just that. I honestly think he's using the lockout and his rather outspoken stance about that as a rather convenient rationale. In the end though I think he'll request the trade.

I think so too. I don't buy the CBA nonsense at all; I think he's just using his soapbox to take some last jabs at the owners.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
We all know Rutherford will bring Cole back. It's only a matter of when.

The next big question is who is Boychuck being traded for. Rumor has it there's a trade brewing and he's the Canes big piece. ;)

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
You telling me we couldn't use Cole on this team right now? It would let us release Ruutu at the very least.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
So, after an offseason of doing favors to players and getting screwed while doing them (bringing Jordan to play with his brother, bringing Corvo back to the only team he has ever had any success in and now letting Boucher go to Philly to his family and bringing Westgarth to play in his wifes hometown) the next logical step for JR is to bring back Cole (again) for some ridiculous price.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
You were right last time, right?

Uh, probably not. I'm just relaying rumors floating around the itrawebs for those who may have missed them. After two decent sized trades today, the Boychuck thing may not hold water now. I think part of the reason for th rumor was because some people said he had not been invited to Canes camp. But that news changed overnight.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Cole was one of my favorite guys in the past. I really soured on him during the lockout with some of the ridiculous stuff he was saying. We all know that cole want return a cane. I'm not sure I will be able to root for him the same when/if he does.

One a side note, I thought everything Staal had said during the lockout was nothing but class.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Habs aren't going to trade him just before the start of the season, they'd be insane to do so.

As we're talking about the Habs they'll probably wait till the first intermission of the first game.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I think that ship has sailed. At one time I was very confident that JR would bring Cole back before he retires. But I don't see it happening now, unless we dump some salary in the process. Plus, Cole hasnt exactly been hot this season.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I think that ship has sailed. At one time I was very confident that JR would bring Cole back before he retires. But I don't see it happening now, unless we dump some salary in the process. Plus, Cole hasnt exactly been hot this season.

All the more reason to look at acquiring him. I'm sure Nieuwendyk wouldn't be opposed to something minor like Ryan Murphy for Cole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad