When will slewfoots be called?

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Yesterday, Ian Cole performs a perfect example (in my opinion) of a slewfoot on Brandon Sutter. In the game, he gets a minor penalty for tripping. Today, he gets a maximum fine for a "dangerous trip" by the NHL. For information, here's the rule on slew-footing from the rules:

Rule 52 – Slew-footing
52.1 Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

52.2 Match Penalty - Any player who is guilty of slew-footing shall be assessed a match penalty.

52.3 Fines and Suspensions - There are no specified fines or suspensions for slew-footing, however, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28)

I unfortunately couldn't find a video of it online, but I know there's a number of videos on youtube of other slew-foots from the NHL that were called as "trips."

I can't remember the last time I watched a game where a player was called for a slewfoot and I wonder if it's due to the penalties for slew-footing. There is no minor, double minor or even a major for slew-footing, only a match penalty. Is it because the refs don't want to kick out a player? If so, should the NHL institute a rule change where they can give a minor or double minor for slewfooting and a major if there's an injury?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Speaking of slewfoots. I remember the Crosby slewfoot on Callahan and the ref actually called Callahan for interference. And people say officiating isn't bias.

Reactions: egelband

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Looking for an example on youtube, I found out that there's now a new classification. "Dangerous tripping"

But even in that, the slewfoot example at the end, you hear the referee give Marchand two minutes for tripping. Even though it's used as an example of a slewfoot.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
its a very simple answer to why not called: his name is not Brad Marchand. Guarantee if Marchy had done that, it would have been.

They're going to put an addendum in the rules book: "i) if the player performing the action is not named Brad Marchand, said action cannot be deemed a slewfoot, hence there's no penalty on the play".

Or at least, it feels like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyMomx2

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Slew Footing is an awful sounding term for tripping. If it’s done at full speed, it’s very dangerous. But usually it’s just players being dicks and not really a big deal.
I think the league should be much more concerned about headshots than wet bottoms. Ideally they’d get rid of both but we all know how effective the NHL is.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
A slewfoot is very dangerous. When a player gets his feet kicked out from behind it is almost impossible to brace yourself for the impact with the ice. Quite often the back of the players head will make contact with the ice. The player is pretty much defenseless. The league should crackdown in those types of plays.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Speaking of slewfoots. I remember the Crosby slewfoot on Callahan and the ref actually called Callahan for interference. And people say officiating isn't bias.

well that was interference before the slew foot

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Callahan was interfering on that play. But obviously they should've called Crosby for the slewfoot too.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I've also noticed that the NHL has been fining for "dangerous trips" now instead of suspending for slewfooting. Even as a Lightning fan I wouldn't have complained if Stamkos got suspended for his slewfoot not too long ago but they just fined him instead. I guess this new incarnation of the DoPS doesn't really care about slewfooting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad