Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Big Bad Bruins

Broad street Bullies

the Atwater divers

nicknames last forevers

I like pesky sens.

And the pesky sens started in 2011-12. Last second goals, comebacks, leading the league in majors. I remember the term pesky sens being shouted by Spezza as the team were coming off the ice in New York after a come from behind win in 2011.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
IT's not that I mind watching the "pesky" Sens so much as I dislike our coach actually using that term two games into the season. He does realize that goaltending is what's kept the games close right?

I don't think he should be preaching peskiness or be proud of the label, especially as the coach of the team.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
IT's not that I mind watching the "pesky" Sens so much as I dislike our coach actually using that term two games into the season. He does realize that goaltending is what's kept the games close right?

I don't think he should be preaching peskiness or be proud of the label, especially as the coach of the team.

BM mentioned pesky in an interview before the season even started. That is a part of the hype now, so get used to it.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
BM mentioned pesky in an interview before the season even started. That is a part of the hype now, so get used to it.

It's annoying that the coach uses it. It's like he is admitting we'll be getting outshot/outplayed every night but somehow great goaltending and a surge in the final minutes will get us through most nights. The focus should be elsewhere.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
100% agreed with Aveuglette

I'm none too thrilled with the idea that the coaching staff will revel in the pesky label

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
It's baby steps for the moment.

Any step in the right direction is fine by me.

t9Pmy1U.gif

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Ian Mendes has made this point hundreds of times. If you are pesky then you just aren't very good or elite. The Blackhawks aren't pesky, the Kings aren't, the Penguins aren't, the Bruins aren't...they just crush you.

I can't wait until this team actually has a bunch of skill on the back end and more at forward so the team mercilessly pummels other teams and leaves them in a state of shock.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well then, let's just skip the pesky part and go right to the dominating everyone in the league and winning the Cup stage.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
yeah my memory of pesky was seeing us getting totally out-played, behind late in the game, and some how they managed to tie it up and win late, or somehow hang on with great goaltending for a win. Then after the game we were all like, i cant believe we won that game. It's like we trolled them. As the obvious lesser team, we somehow gutted it out and won. And i would wonder ..

You just described the game against Tampa 100% before it happened. :laugh:

CE8Bp.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You just described the game against Tampa 100% before it happened. :laugh:

Ottawa only really looked bad in one period (Period 2).

They played a good road period in Period 1, and they outplayed Tampa Bay in Period 3 and in OT.

Ottawa had more high-quality scoring chances.

Maybe we can cut them a bit of slack here even though they're not dominating everyone for 60 minutes.

Hell, Buffalo tied the game up down two against Chicago at 2-2.

I guess that means Chicago is pesky. How could a juggernaut allow Buffalo back into the game up 2, including giving up a shorty?

Last night's game was a solid win on the road. Guess what folks, sometimes good teams get good goaltending too! (shocking, I know)

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought Tampa was clearly the better team in that game. :dunno:

That's funny, because I've read Tampa Bay fans saying the opposite.

When Gryba and Boro would get hemmed in their own zone, it was an adventure.

But the Chiasson line and the Turris line (once Stone was added) dictated play when they were on the ice.

There were also a fair number of odd-man rushes in Ottawa's favour including a breakaway that was called back on a bad offside call, and Chiasson's breakaway which I'm still not sure how it didn't go in.

Ottawa also missed a good number of open shots in very high-scoring positions on the ice. (reminiscent of last year)

I'm not saying it was a masterpiece, but for a road game, I don't think it was that bad aside from that 2nd period.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

But the Chiasson line and the Turris line (once Stone was added) dictated play when they were on the ice.

There were also a fair number of odd-man rushes in Ottawa's favour including a breakaway that was called back on a bad offside call, and Chiasson's breakaway which I'm still not sure how it didn't go in.

Ottawa also missed a good number of open shots in very high-scoring positions on the ice. (reminiscent of last year)

I'm not saying it was a masterpiece, but for a road game, I don't think it was that bad aside from that 2nd period.

Thats fair I guess. Just seemed like Tampa had the momentum more than Ottawa and their speed + forecheck killed any defense pair that didn't have Karlsson on it.

Gonna rewatch the 3rd period.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As great as goaltending was in the lockout year, I have to take issue with the idea that 'pesky sens' was merely a product of stellar goalie performances. There was a whole team on the ice fighting back. Andy and Lehner were not putting in those last-minute goals. Compare to last year when the team was falling apart and giving away leads instead of fighting to take them.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I missed the game, but the highlight real on NHL.com showed 4 or 5 outstanding chances for us with the puck getting passed to a player in the low slot (Ryan to MacArthur, Chiasson to Hoffman, Turris to MacArthur, Chiasson to Karlsson for a goal, and MacArthur to Stone for a goal). All 5 of those were very high quality scoring chances, didn't see one that good for Tbay (though there were some good chances, they were generally from further out, like the giveaway to Stamkos in the just outside the high slot).

All that said, I just watched a highlight package, so the game may have been very different than what NHL.com chose to show.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I missed the game, but the highlight real on NHL.com showed 4 or 5 outstanding chances for us with the puck getting passed to a player in the low slot (Ryan to MacArthur, Chiasson to Hoffman, Turris to MacArthur, Chiasson to Karlsson for a goal, and MacArthur to Stone for a goal). All 5 of those were very high quality scoring chances, didn't see one that good for Tbay (though there were some good chances, they were generally from further out, like the giveaway to Stamkos in the just outside the high slot).

All that said, I just watched a highlight package, so the game may have been very different than what NHL.com chose to show.

Compared to the game against Nashville, the Sens were actually pretty good at keeping Tampa out of the slot.

Tampa announcers were talking about how good the Sens were at not giving up 2nd chances.

Hopefully thats a sign of the Sens improving and not Tampa sucking. :P

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
As great as goaltending was in the lockout year, I have to take issue with the idea that 'pesky sens' was merely a product of stellar goalie performances. There was a whole team on the ice fighting back. Andy and Lehner were not putting in those last-minute goals. Compare to last year when the team was falling apart and giving away leads instead of fighting to take them.

When you have good goaltending you take more chances. When Hasek was in nets our team went for the jugular. Without him we lost to Buffalo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
When you have good goaltending you take more chances. When Hasek was in nets our team went for the jugular. Without him we lost to Buffalo.

The sabres had 110 pts that year; they were a very good team. While I do think Hasek probably makes the difference (no way he loses 3 OT games) it's not like Buffalo was some inferior team that beat us due to shoddy goaltending.

SenatorArmy*

pesky is something I'd describe a mosquito as. Something that can be a general annoyance but can be killed with very little effort

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The sabres had 110 pts that year; they were a very good team. While I do think Hasek probably makes the difference (no way he loses 3 OT games) it's not like Buffalo was some inferior team that beat us due to shoddy goaltending.

We had average goaltending with Emery. The team in front of him was great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad