When will "pesky" wear off?

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Ian Mendes has made this point hundreds of times. If you are pesky then you just aren't very good or elite. The Blackhawks aren't pesky, the Kings aren't, the Penguins aren't, the Bruins aren't...they just crush you.

I can't wait until this team actually has a bunch of skill on the back end and more at forward so the team mercilessly pummels other teams and leaves them in a state of shock.

LA was pretty pesky in the last playoffs. They came from behind in every single series but the final I think.

Our team is getting there, regarding shocking the other team.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
That great team in front of him couldn't score.

Aside from that Game 1 barn-burner, Ottawa struggled the rest of the series.

That first game set the tempo of the series. It gave Buffalo a lot of confidence. There is no way Hasek lets in 7 goals. Hasek alone would have gotten into their heads and the team in front of him would have attacked with no remorse.

Pesky didn't beat Montreal in 5 games. Great goaltending did.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Wayne Scanlan @HockeyScanner
Ryan told us he prefers the tag "Gritty Sens" rather than "Pesky Sens." Says Pesky has been "done to death."

Gritty, pesky. Tomato, tomahto. I honestly don't give a ****. Just play well. Win the games.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Back in the day when we were pesky
not pesky anymore
but somedays I sit and wish
we were pesky again

:(

Last edited:

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
To answer the original question, hopefully soon. Otherwise we remain overachievers. The semiotics of such a label indicates we suck but are playing above our normal capacity. I hate pesky, I want to known as a competitive good team.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Without Andy and Lehner this year we are nothing more than a very poor team to be honest. We have been already lucky, winning two times against an injury plagued Columbus, facing Colorados 3rd tender, Wild without Parise and we must be the team who have faced the most backup goalies the whole year. Now, or course that doesn't mean we couldn't have won those games but it does make a difference.

The whole "pesky" thing was made out two years ago because we would only play in the 3rd period and our goalies would save us getting 35-50 shots per game. This year, it is the exact same thing happening. We are playing for most nights only 20-30 minutes per game while Andy and Lehner are keeping us in there. There's nothing good about that kind of "pesky". We don't have that kind of goaltending, we don't compete. It's good to be pesky like the Kings in the playoffs last season who actually played the whole game and gave effort and finally ended up winning the cup but the way we are not giving out full effort and
we are not playing 60 minutes per game much like two years ago and last year.. i just don't think you can even call that pesky.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Stylizer you only show up when the team does bad, gtfo of here with that negative attitude.

Didn't like the way management assembled the team and was vocal about it. Now we have what we have and I'm supposed to like it?

The team has lost 8 out of 11. They have been bad for a while. Did we make the playoffs last season? The coach did a hell of a job mixing up lines and BM didn't do anything to help.

Designed to fail or failed to design, take your pick.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Not pesky any more. More vexatious - either for or against.

Consistency is what we need - 200 feet and hard.

That will take even more time and a different veteran presence on the roster.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Not pesky any more. More vexatious - either for or against.

Consistency is what we need - 200 feet and hard.

That will take even more time and a different veteran presence on the roster.

Pesky is just a euphemism for bottom end team trying to squeeze out Ws in games they clearly should have lost. It was cool for fans when we were forced to be pesky due to massive injury issues, and ended up making the playoffs. That was fun because we knew the cavalry was coming in the form of injured players returning to the lineup. The pesky team just had to hold on for a couple of dozen games. It is less cool in a full 82 game season when it stems from an absolute bottom of the league payroll, and leads to few Ws, with no cavalry (except Methot) coming.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Consider this.

1) Same Goalies as last year,
2) just about the same Defence as last year (just hopefully a little more mature).
3) Spezza & Hemsky gone for Legwand & Chiasson (Lazar & Hoffman & Stone) sprinkled in.

Once the dust settles and Murray is forced to make a trade, we will become the Pesky Sens again and will make the Playoffs! :yo:

Still waiting for Murray to do something..........Like Retire! :nod:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Play poorly and rely on goalies until 5 minutes left to try and tie it up, go into OT, and sneak out 2 points?

That wore out 2 years ago.

WhiteLight*

agreed. Pesky is fun but it takes more than that for success

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
As Bonk and other have theorized, we simply are not a good team. We don't have the PRESENT talent to be considered a good team, or play like one.

Sometimes the 'lost' 'lazy' play is what it looks like when a good team is running you ragged.

It sure looks to me like the young pieces that we drafted when we started the rebuild are starting to move into the league.

This is what we have to me:

We have goaltending locked down

We have some exciting young D that need seasoning, as well as some excellent D prospects nearing the jump to the professional game

We have some young established forward talent, and several young players that need development time as pros. We have some youngsters that are looking ready to make the jump to the NHL, and we have a couple excellent looking prospects in juniors

We have a few solid vets that live and breath Ottawa hockey to smooth transitions not only into the league, but into Ottawa and the organization in particular.

We have solid hockey pedigree from our GM down to our coaches, with league wide respect for their achievements

This is a team that is built for tomorrow, NOT today. This is a squad with an eye towards what our young players WILL be.

You don't draft a bunch of players and then hang your hat and say the rebuild is done. The most important work is the years of development that go into those players. Consider that none of the young forwards from our big draft have made the roster yet should tell you something about where we are at in the rebuild. Zib at 21 centring the second line should tell you where we are.

We aren't spending on vets because we're not looking to win now, like it or lump it. We're not shoring up areas because we're allowing youngsters develop. We signed Neil, Phillips, Michalek, Legwand, because we want stop-gap character vets to fill roles in the interim while our young future develops in the AHL, or in sheltered minutes in the NHL line up.

We don't fill the team with kids because we know that experienced players have so much intangible knowledge to impart, and because we know the value of players feeling that they have earned their roles in the NHL.

We are not built to win this year, we just don't talk about it. We're playing better and achieving more because guys work hard, and because our goaltending has been amazing. We are higher in the standings than we really should be, enjoy it.

We will be better every year as this team grows from the net out, and I for one am enjoying the ride. This is the second major start for the team, and the last one took YEARS before we had league respect.

Consider that this team is being developed with the idea that we would like to compete for decades, not a one and done, just like we did from 92 on.

That is good for the owner, and that is good for the fans. Right now we as fans are earning the next decade or two of solid Ottawa Senators hockey. Everyone has to pay the price for success.

Just my opinion

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes