When will Lehner be the sens starter?

Nepean Lightning

Jul 4, 2014
Ontario
As the title states, my question for you guys is when do you think Lehner will take the reigns and become the sens starting goaltender? And subsequently do you think Anderson will be traded when Lehner takes his spot?

imo Lehner will take the starting position close to halfway through the season and Anderson will get shipped out near or on trade deadline day (yay, Duthie might have a trade to report this year:sarcasm:)

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Probably after this season. I still wouldn't mind easing Lehner into it and eventually reversing the roles where he takes over the majority of the starts in a couple years after splitting 50/50 and Anderson goes into a backup role, I'm not sure Andy would want that though so I doubt it happens.

I guess it really depends on if Andy bounces back this season or not.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
i'm assuming he won't surpass Anderson any time soon, so re-sign Anderson and Lehner will take a few years to pass Anderson as Andy gets older.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Will take over some time between halfway through this year, and halfway through next year in my opinion

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lehner's first 12 games last year he had .941 sv%, Lehner's last 7 games he had .940 sv%

In the 2 years before that, 17 starts as back-up .936 sv%

I'm not saying he's gonna come in next year and dominate the league(maybe I am :naughty:) but if the defense improves, which it should, no reason to think the splits won't be 60-40 for Anderson and Lehner takes over starting 2nd half of next year which leads to Anderson getting traded at the deadline or off-season.

Lehner is an NHL goalie, question is can he be a consistent NHL goalie over 40% of the workload next year. If he has shown he can be, Anderson's time here is done.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I'll say next year with an outside chance he'll grab it at the midpoint this year if everything goes right for him and wrong for Andy.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Within the next two years, depending on Anderson's willingness to take a "hometown discount" on a contract extension at the deadline (probably 2 years). Sens will probably want to re-sign him as a "bridge/insurance" to Lehner taking over full-time.

If Anderson re-signs on the cheap before the deadline, Lehner and Andy will probably split starts 50/50 over the next 2 years. If not, it's Lehner's show by the end of this season.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Has Ottawa really ever had a sens drafted goalie take over the reigns of the number #1 to actually be a successful #1 goalie? Personally I wouldnt count Emery or Elliott, must be overlooking someone?

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Lehner should have been the starter last season but our defence was trash so Maclean stayed with the more experienced goalie

I say next year for Lehner and Andy will be gone at the trade deadline

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
After this year's trade deadline

I'd say this, IF we're out of the playoff hunt. Maybe even if Murray and co were to get an offer the couldn't refuse at the deadline and we're still in it and Lehner has passed every test.

After this upcoming season though, it's Lehner's show for the next decade. The guy is a stud. He's definitely the next player I want on one of my jerseys.

A part of me wants to see Andy traded this offseason despite my affection for his skills, whilst we signed Brodeur to mentor young Lehner. This is the next best thing though, Andy is still a great #1 net minder in this league.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A part of me wants to see Andy traded this offseason despite my affection for his skills, whilst we signed Brodeur to mentor young Lehner.

I don't think he'd really have any trade value this offseason, to be honest.

Pretty much every team except the Jets have their goalie situation set to go into Training camp. If we moved Anderson, it would just be to get rid of his contract. No real valuable assets coming back our way.

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I think it's still Andy's net in 2014/15 but if the team is bad, he'll be traded at the deadline.

It's Lehner's net starting 2015/16 at the latest.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Lehner should have been the starter last season but our defence was trash so Maclean stayed with the more experienced goalie

I say next year for Lehner and Andy will be gone at the trade deadline

Lehner was not ready last year, and doubt he'll be ready this year. Still too young! Let's not ruin him just yet, and Maclean knows this, as well as Murray!

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
It really looked like this was going to be his year. But a combination of maclean being a moron and his eventual inconsistency makes sense keeping andy as the starter until lehner can be consistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad