When will Connor McDavid win a cup ?

When ?

• Within current contract with the Oilers (2026)

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • Within his next contract with the Oilers (past 2026)

Votes: 23 10.7%
  • Within this next contract with another team

Votes: 93 43.3%
  • Close to retirement (35+)

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • He will not win a Stanley Cup

Votes: 58 27.0%

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Marcel Dionne had over 700 goals and over 1700 points. No Cup. It depends on opportunity too. In this cap era, and with so many teams, McDavid could certainly put up big numbers (similar to Dionne) and never win a Cup.

But usually those are guys who fill a supporting cast, defensive role, even though they were once great.
Yeah I thought about Dionne. He was a heck of a player but not generational. He won the Art Ross once and the Lindsay a couple of times. But no Harts. Great player though.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
How many truly generational players have failed to win a Cup?
McDavid likely ends up somewhere on the list of players that includes Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe, Crosby, Ovechkin, Hull etc.
I mean I guess Ray Bourque and Ovechkin came close to not winning one. But McDavid would be the first in that list to miss if he doesn’t end up with at least one Cup. Maybe we see it more now with 32 teams as opposed to a number who won it in the old 6 team league?

The point is not that he won't win a Cup. It's that wondering when he will is disconnected from reality. Because it's not McDavid succeeding or failing individually, it's the team. Until I see evidence that he can drag his team to the finals, it's a weird discussion that's ultimately less about the player than many other factors. And if you want to have discussions about those things, awesome, let's do that; but what does anyone gain from framing it as a McDavid-centric discussion, instead?

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
When he leaves that shit hole of an organization, no chance they win in Edmonton. That team is constructed so terribly and they've given out horrible contracts. No team is winning when Nurse is the #1D making more money than Cale Makar.

Reactions: kp61c

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I think both McDavid and Draisaitl are going to have to look at their new contracts, and decide if money or championships are more important.

Each taking $2-$3 million less would create salary cap room to boost the rest of the roster.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
I think both McDavid and Draisaitl are going to have to look at their new contracts, and decide if money or championships are more important.

Each taking $2-$3 million less would create salary cap room to boost the rest of the roster.
The problem is that you have doofuses like Ken Holland and prior Peter Chiarelli using that money. When Holland had cap space he used that on Duncan Keith and Tyson Barrie.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

It’s one thing to do that when you’re already on a contender that you want to keep together though, and another thing to do it and hope the GM can find a way to surround you properly. Otherwise you could easily just end up with less money but in the same situation

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
When he gets out of Edmonton.

Maybe if he starts playing on a wing and gets elite 2-way center on his line his BS defense doesn't matter as much anymore. But then he still needs Drai on the other wing to be productive which means team will have zero depth

Well this post is absolutely full of shit. McDavid’s BS defense is a myth. And the comment about needing Drai to be productive is even worse.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ovechkin was 13 seasons in before his team won (or even got close). Sometimes its a marathon; Lemieux didn't win crap until his team was stacked with other stars.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
When he gets out of Edmonton.

Well this post is absolutely full of shit. McDavid’s BS defense is a myth. And the comment about needing Drai to be productive is even worse.
No it's not. He has decent production without Drai but it is not anything special compared to guys like Nathan MacKinnon, Matthews.. Playing with Drai makes his numbers special.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
No it's not. He has decent production without Drai but it is not anything special compared to guys like Nathan MacKinnon, Matthews.. Playing with Drai makes his numbers special.
Those guys play with elite players 100% of their minutes. McDavid plays with Jesse "stonehands" Puljujärvi and Zach Hyman, the guy everyone blamed for Matthews' lack of production who turned out to be the best regular winger Oilers have had in years.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Those guys play with elite players 100% of their minutes. McDavid plays with Jesse "stonehands" Puljujärvi and Zach Hyman, the guy everyone blamed for Matthews' lack of production who turned out to be the best regular winger Oilers have had in years.
Sure but they don't have forward that's even close to Drai Playing with them regularly. How bout Huberdeau and Gaudreau then? Only decent 1 liner they have is Tkachuk who was expected to score 60 points before this season.

Everybody knew that Hyman is very good player, look at his contract. Everybody knew that Kane is a star winger if he can keep his stuff together.

Connor had elite forward group around him this year.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Sure but they don't have forward that's even close to Drai Playing with them regularly. How bout Huberdeau and Gaudreau then? Only decent 1 liner they have is Tkachuk who was expected to score 60 points before this season.

Everybody knew that Hyman is very good player, look at his contract. Everybody knew that Kane is a star winger if he can keep his stuff together.

Connor had elite forward group around him this year.
McDavid didn't play with Draisaitl 5vs5 this year and won the scoring race with a depressed on ice shooting percentage. What you're proposing is not true.

Reactions: LJ7

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Players of his caliber win at some point. If EDM doesn't get their ducks in a row I could see McDavid putting himself in a better position to win with another team. It would be crazy unlikely that he doesn't win one at some point and would make him quite the anomaly of a player if so.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
McDavid didn't play with Draisaitl 5vs5 this year and won the scoring race with a depressed on ice shooting percentage. What you're proposing is not true.
And like I said his regular season numbers weren't anything special to others expect the first months when he played with Draisaitl and PP time with Draisaitl. His playoffs numbers were good but again, he played with Drai and Hyman/Kane all the time

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
And like I said his regular season numbers weren't anything special to others expect the first months when he played with Draisaitl and PP time with Draisaitl. His playoffs numbers were good but again, he played with Drai and Hyman/Kane all the time
Scoring 33 points in 16 games in the playoffs is kinda good I guess, but not that impressive when you consider he had good linemates. His line ought've scored much more than 6.58 5vs5 gf/60 to really gain some respect.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Holy underselling.

Last year McDavid had a regular season for the ages (granted, in unusual circumstances, so somewhat of an asterisk) - but the problem is he went all-out in the regular season that come playoffs he had nothing left, underperformed big time and allowed his team to get swept.

This year - he paced himself more in the regular season. You say his numbers were "nothing special" but he still won the Art Ross - and good chance he might win the Hart/Lindsay, or at least top 2. And after pacing himself - through 2 rounds of playoffs he had more points than any player in the history of the NHL has scored in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs (yes, that includes peak Gretzky/Orr/Lemieux whoever else). I think that's more than just "good".

Some other poster in a different thread just said Drai/McDavid only played ~20% together at EV last 2 playoffs combined - it actually seems very low if true.

In my opinion - McDavid gets full merit for having a historic playoff run. One of the best 3 round playoff runs in history, even if it ended in a sweep in round 3.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
What do you think ? He got in the conference finals this year with amazing performance

I enabled multiple choices in case you think he can win it multiple times under different circumstances
Does he like the beach? Tampa is a very nice place to finish a career...

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Scoring 33 points in 16 games in the playoffs is kinda good I guess, but not that impressive when you consider he had good linemates. His line ought've scored much more than 6.58 5vs5 gf/60 to really gain some respect.
These surely were his first good playoffs after 7 years but maybe if he hadn't negative Plus-Minus and didn't get swept against only playoffs-worthy team he faced he would have gain more respect.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
McDavid, Matthews and Fox are going to get together and take their talents to South Beach. The Decision II.
On that note, I wonder if we will ever see NHL superstars move around like we see in the NBA or are the rules too restrictive.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not in the near future atleast.

Will be tough to ice roster even this good and Pacific will start to improve at some point.

& Vegas with Cassidy will be a different team

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Holy underselling.

Last year McDavid had a regular season for the ages (granted, in unusual circumstances, so somewhat of an asterisk) - but the problem is he went all-out in the regular season that come playoffs he had nothing left, underperformed big time and allowed his team to get swept.

This year - he paced himself more in the regular season. You say his numbers were "nothing special" but he still won the Art Ross - and good chance he might win the Hart/Lindsay, or at least top 2. And after pacing himself - through 2 rounds of playoffs he had more points than any player in the history of the NHL has scored in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs (yes, that includes peak Gretzky/Orr/Lemieux whoever else). I think that's more than just "good".

Some other poster in a different thread just said Drai/McDavid only played ~20% together at EV last 2 playoffs combined - it actually seems very low if true.

In my opinion - McDavid gets full merit for having a historic playoff run. One of the best 3 round playoff runs in history, even if it ended in a sweep in round 3.
This 20% is BS he played pretty much all his minutes with Kane/Hyman(+/Yamo) and Draisaitl on his wing you can check it on Moneypuck. Pacific division teams were joke some people thought CGY would be good but I said all season they are frauds and will disappoint in playoffs again. To the cherry on the top Markström was probably biggest fraud in these playoffs. Not surprised they got swept against only good team they met. Also Oilers playing style was a joke they went full run-and-gun and didn't give a s**t about defending which obviously increases the numbers

Last season was only Canadian division which means nothing like this season proved it. He won art Ross but only because he got huge headstart playing with Drai first few months.

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad