When will Connor McDavid win a cup ?

When ?

• Within current contract with the Oilers (2026)

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • Within his next contract with the Oilers (past 2026)

Votes: 23 10.7%
  • Within this next contract with another team

Votes: 93 43.3%
  • Close to retirement (35+)

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • He will not win a Stanley Cup

Votes: 58 27.0%

• Total voters

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
This 20% is BS he played pretty much all his minutes with Kane/Hyman(+/Yamo) and Draisaitl on his wing you can check it on Moneypuck. Pacific division teams were joke some people thought CGY would be good but I said all season they are frauds and will disappoint in playoffs again. To the cherry on the top Markström was probably biggest fraud in these playoffs. Not surprised they got swept against only good team they met. Also Oilers playing style was a joke they went full run-and-gun and didn't give a s**t about defending which obviously increases the numbers

Last season was only Canadian division which means nothing like this season proved it. He won art Ross but only because he got huge headstart playing with Drai first few months.
The critics of McDavid that can't even recognize the playoff run he had just instantly lose all their credibility. Nobody is going to take anything you say about McDavid seriously, since you are obviously very biased. You just come off as a toddler throwing a temper tantrum.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This 20% is BS he played pretty much all his minutes with Kane/Hyman(+/Yamo) and Draisaitl on his wing you can check it on Moneypuck. Pacific division teams were joke some people thought CGY would be good but I said all season they are frauds and will disappoint in playoffs again. To the cherry on the top Markström was probably biggest fraud in these playoffs. Not surprised they got swept against only good team they met. Also Oilers playing style was a joke they went full run-and-gun and didn't give a s**t about defending which obviously increases the numbers

Last season was only Canadian division which means nothing like this season proved it. He won art Ross but only because he got huge headstart playing with Drai first few months.

No.

His most productive quarter was games 43-56 where he had 36 points. He had 27 points in the first quarter and 21 in both of the middle quarters. In the final quarter, Draisaitl was in on 17/36 points, evidently less than half. I seem to recall Patrick Kane generating Hart chatter in the first half of the season because he was in the Art Ross race, so I'm not sure where the idea that McDavid had a big headstart comes from.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
No.

His most productive quarter was games 43-56 where he had 36 points. He had 27 points in the first quarter and 21 in both of the middle quarters. In the final quarter, Draisaitl was in on 17/36 points, evidently less than half. I seem to recall Patrick Kane generating Hart chatter in the first half of the season because he was in the Art Ross race, so I'm not sure where the idea that McDavid had a big headstart comes from.
I'm talking about this season here, he had huge headstart playing with Draisaitl. Take out that time and he has 7th best ppg in the league during his last 65 games(majority of the season), while still playing with Drai on pp and sometimes on 5v5. Is it something special compared to other superstars?

I know last season was not close at all but he played only against Canadian teams then.

Last edited:

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
McDavid and Draisaitl are so good, they cannot get better than they are. It’s the team around that needs to improve, and they clearly need to
improve quite a bit seeing that they just got swept out of the conference finals in a series that was not that close. I don’t trust their current management of improving the team enough. As long as Ken Holland is their GM, they aren’t going to win a Stanley Cup. If by the time McDavid’s contract is up Ken Holland is still their GM, my vote would be he wins a cup with a different team under his next contract but if Ken Holland is fired soon and is replaced with a competent GM, I think he wins a cup on this contract

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I'm talking about this season here, he had huge headstart playing with Draisaitl. Take out that time and he has 7th best ppg in the league during his last 65 games(majority of the season), while still playing with Drai on pp and sometimes on 5v5. Is it something special compared to other superstars?

I know last season was not close at all but he played only against Canadian teams then.
I don't really understand this argument TBH, I will argue against it below, but looking at the list of players from 11/17/2021 - 5/1/2022 (McDavid's 65 game period to end the season) Marner and Matthews are 2 and 4 in PPG. Why are we excluding McDavid's 17 games with Drai at the start of the season but ignoring #2 & #4 playing together?

McDavid W/ Draisaitl - 2022 (First 15 games) - Here is the period you are proposing to exclude.
McDavid and Drai played 7:52 together at 5v5 for the first 15 games (McDavid only played 80 games, so it's not 17).​
Matthews W/ Marner - 2022 (last 50 games) - Here is the last 50 games (Time period McDavid played 65 games) for Matthews and Marner. They played 13:16 together at 5v5. These guys are #2 and #4 in PPG over the time period you are saying McDavid is 7th.

Why is this valid, when the 15 games with Drai at the beginning of the year is not...when they had less TOI together than the Leafs Duo?

Regardless the weird double standard, I think it is okay for McDavid to be 7th because a guy like Kucherov played 47% less games and that period includes the 23 games where we almost missed the playoffs and our coach needed to be fired. If you look at McDavid's Mar 1-May 1 (End of season run) he was over 1.7PPG and comfortably first.

We started 16-5, so the stretch that got Tip fired (23 games) started in game 22. Which was Dec 1 to Feb 10th. McDavid was 38rd in PPG and the Oilers were in free fall. If we are going to take out the games he got supposedly a big head start from his teammate, can we take out the games where the teams production got cratered by their coaching implosion?

Other stats:
McDavid last 65 games
McDavid end of season (Mar 1-May 1)
Tippet Stretch (Dec 1-Feb 10)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No it's not. He has decent production without Drai but it is not anything special compared to guys like Nathan MacKinnon, Matthews.. Playing with Drai makes his numbers special.

Lol you might want to do some fact checking there.

Megapint

May 18, 2022
Within 2 years.

Either next or the year after. He is too much of a beast not to win one in his 20's. If Broberg hits and they land someone like Husso or Gibson as early as next season.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Within 2 years.

Either next or the year after. He is too much of a beast not to win one in his 20's. If Broberg hits and they land someone like Husso or Gibson as early as next season.
They will have to beat stacked Vegas with a new coach before even getting to a central division champ

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
In a 32 team league a lot of amazing players will not win a cup. Draisaitl's contract is up in 3 years and McDavid's in 4 so it's basically burn the boats time in Edmonton. All prospects and 1st round picks should be available in trades for the right players (cost controlled + cheap).

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Never say never, but it's doubtful on his current contract. Not enough cap-space to get the depth you need to win. That and Edmonton management is a gong show. I think most likely he tests free agency when his contact is up and where/how much he signs for will tell a lot about where his priorities are. If he signs with another team (a contender) for significantly less than he making now his focus is on winning a cup. If he resigns with Edmonton (or another team) for a max-allowable contract then it's all about the money.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Plenty of terrific players have failed to win the Cup and plenty of completely unmemorable ones have at least one. This obsession with McDavid has been weird for years, but you'd think it might abate when somebody realizes it's awarded to a team, not a player.

The closest I've ever seen to a single player putting the rest of their team on their shoulders and carrying them to a Cup was Pronger's finals run with Edmonton. McDavid is a hell of a player, but I haven't seen anything like that out of him yet. Let's revisit this question when he does something like that.
The truly great players win the cup and smythe in their prime point blank period

Party Kane

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago
Probably wont happen with Edmonton unless they get their shit together. The goaltending and depth are in dire need of being addressed

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I think both McDavid and Draisaitl are going to have to look at their new contracts, and decide if money or championships are more important.

Each taking $2-$3 million less would create salary cap room to boost the rest of the roster.

I think both McDavid and Draisaitl are going to have to look at their new contracts, and decide if money or championships are more important.

Each taking $2-$3 million less would create salary cap room to boost the rest of the roster.

I’m never a fan of it being the player who needs to take anything less than what they’re worth or owed. There is zero guarantee any management, particularly this management, uses the extra cap room effectively.

Other organizations across all leagues have shown some great results with this methodology, but why should McDavid continue to trust that Edmonton is the right fit to the point where he’s taking pay cuts to hypothetically build a better team?

For all we know, McDavid might not be impressed by the effort or results he was potentially promised when owners and management would say anything to get him to resign for 8 years as a 20 year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad