Speculation: When will Auston Matthews get the C?

When does Matthews get the C?

• Total voters

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The saying is "The Exception Proves the Rule " , Mathews can have the C when he grows some hair down and there learns to play like a man .
Yes I mis-typed somehow, thanks for the correction.

There's a reason many people say that this team isn't built for playoff hockey and there's a reason many people say we're easy to play against, not just random people either, we're talking about players and coaches in today's NHL.

You think it's absurd OK, but the fact is that we are well established playoff losers and if I had to come up with one specific game or moment that defines this team with our current core, I think that moment would be one of my top choices. Another that comes to mind is JT's first game against his old team where not just Matthews, but the entire team got ragdolled.

You don't agree and that's fine. But if you don't at least understand where these people who think that way are coming from, then you have a thing or two to learn about playoff hockey.

Leaders lead, Matthews laughs. JMHO.

He shows some push-back there and some fire, and it would ignite the team. Well, maybe not a Dubas-constructed team, but in general
I've been dreaming about that for years. If just for one time Matthews were to snarl and hit someone with passionate force (staying within the rules of hockey or not), that one moment might be enough to start an avalanche.

I've said it many times before, you don't go deep in the playoffs if you don't play with passion. And in that moment was a perfect example of the lack of passion that defines this team.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I would rather Morgan Rielly, but quite often coaches award superstar forwards...

It's just the way it is...

...sadly.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Does Matthews even want the C? That's the bigger question.

Has he ever captained? I would love for him to have the C. However 44 is the heartbeat of the team.

I also wanna spam Captain Morgan with integrity.

Reactions: horner

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why do fans care so much who the Captain is?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
You're looking at the past with rose colored glasses. "Fans" absolutely criticised Wendel and Dougie and Sittler and Mats. It's the same song 10, 20, 30 years later.

Prices are what they are because the free market supports it. They dont owe us tickets because we're fans, that's not how the world works.

And people cried for Salming because he is a goddamn human being and the disease which killed him is terrible. If Marner died from the same disease in a few decades and someone's repsonse was criticizing him for "turning back at the blue line" then they're a piece of shit.
Glad you got all that off your çhest.
Sorry not rose coloured...(Canadian spelling), lived it.
Of course they don't owe us, except a real effort to win, not just a marketing machine.
If you don't think Salming was admired for his career as a Leaf more than Marner at this point you are a fool, or 16 yrs old.
Of course the disease had an effect, but the evening brought out fans memories of a man

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
I think this needs to happen sooner rather than later. One of the biggest what if with this team, IMO, is what would have happened if Matthews got the C instead of Tavares. I think Matthews has more of a voice and is more of a leader than Tavares (who is more suited to lead a veteran team).
Whe he becomes a leader on and off the ice,otherwise never.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
When they choose Captain how is it done? Do they ask the players or just go by a hunch? Make Marner do a list with the least deserving and go from there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad