When Was The Last Time You Were This Optimistic About Toronto’s D Core?

When Was The Last Time You Were This Optimistic About The D Core to Start a Season?

• Total voters

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Holl while mobile is not a legit top 4 d man. His transition game is rather limited and he's soft in his own end.

Bogo is like Holl but with more physical presence.

At the end of the day I think the leafs D core will end up as:

Rielly, Brodie
Muzzin, Bogosian
Lehtonen, Holl
Sandin, Dermott

The right side is still a weak spot but not nearly as bad as last year. They certainly have much better depth. Marincin is unlikely to play at all and that's addition by subtraction.

I dont think its an upgrade.

It still looks like a soft, slow blueline.

Mar 14, 2011
The Offseason prior to the 2010-2011 season we had;
D. Phaneuf- recent Norris nominee
Mike Komisarek- recent NHL All Star D
F. Beauchemen- recent top 4 Dman for a cup winning team
T. Kaberle- proven consistent top pair, quality D for the Leafs
Luke Schenn- Recent 5th overall pick,promising rookie and sophomore year, human eraser, future team captain.

Hindsight is 20/20 but a lot of fans at the time though that the Leafs should be a playoff contender with that D and what looks to finally be a stable goaltending tandem of a cup winning vet in Giggy and a "upcoming" youngster in Jonas Gustavsson. The forward group on the other hand was not only lacking of top talent outside of Kessel but the depth was pretty abysmal as well, on paper likely in the top 3 worst forward groups in the league coming in to the season, possibly even the worst.

Although I'm not really that optimistic about the current D, is it even much of an upgrade over previous years? So long as the forwards continue to cheat I cant see the overall team defence improving much.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Brodie looks like the thing this team has been looking tonget for ages. Not just a guy who can munch minutes on the right side, but also dominate the puck there too

Reactions: Goose

Mar 26, 2010
I am not overly excited about this D core. IMO it is still not great. Better than last season...but not fantastic.

Reactions: 93WrapAround

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Brodie looks like the thing this team has been looking tonget for ages. Not just a guy who can munch minutes on the right side, but also dominate the puck there too
Brodie looked excellent. I thought he looked like our best dman tonight. I actually thought Dermott-Bogo was solid too, they weren't trying to do too much although, I think I mostly liked them because they weren't taking shit after the whistle so maybe I'm biased.

Mar 26, 2010
Ain't wrong.

Holl just isnt the answer as a 4.

I think Brodie would be a perfect fit for Muzzin. Though hes steady with Mo; we'd really hit another level though if we found another top4 right side guy
If Sandin could play the right side... we would be ok I think.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Anyone else wish they acquired a right hand D that could be a better option to play with Muzzin than Holl? The only times Holl has ever played well has been when Muzzin is carrying him.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Anyone else wish they acquired a right hand D that could be a better option to play with Muzzin than Holl? The only times Holl has ever played well has been when Muzzin is carrying him.

IMO Holl didn't look good tonight... But I'm ok giving him a 15-20 game sample. BOGO didn't look good either. We have lots of depth thankfully.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I don't mid Holl. Actually think he could find a nice home as a 3rd pair right side guy.. he has 2nd pair confidence and could utilize that in a less pressure role.

I think trying Lehtonen / Sandin / Dermott on the right side should be priority...

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

The complement to Rielly was the bigger need IMO. We'll see which options emerge for adding to the blueline as the season goes on.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I don't mid Holl. Actually think he could find a nice home as a 3rd pair right side guy.. he has 2nd pair confidence and could utilize that in a less pressure role.

I think trying Lehtonen / Sandin / Dermott on the right side should be priority...
Did they use Sandin on the right side at all on the Marlins last year?

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Holl and Muzzin are brutal together - that one PK shift where they gave up 2 breakaways on one shift highlighted this. Holl was making stupid decisions and out of position a lot tonight.

Bogosian was possibly worse tho. Two dumb penalties and a brutal pinch costed us. Hoping he just had an awful first game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's really early and the game tonight was akin to an exhibition game, but I'm not sold on the defensive renovations. I thought Bogosian had some snarly moments but his foot speed makes me think he needs to be used on selective occasions more than as an every day minute muncher. Obviously we don't have an all situation defenseman like Hedman to do the heavy lifting for him. I liked Brodie.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad