When was the last time you cried because of a playoff loss?

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
When Brad May scored that backbreaking OT goal in Gm 4 of the 1993 playoffs to sweep the Bruins, some 12 year old boy in the hockey universe, Bedford Massachusetts to be exact, was on his sofa crying in frustration. That boy was me.

We had, I believe, the second most points in the NHL that year and I thought we were going to smack Buffalo around for a little bit before we advanced to the next round but that was not to be as it was Buffalo that completely outplayed us all four games and of all people it was Brad May to plunge the dagger in for the killer blow.

Hockey was like life and death for me back then. We had quite a bit of crippling losses back then but that was the last time I cried as an NHL fan.

Anybody else have a similar time of despair as kid? If you were a stoic child then major kudos to you.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I feel you on the hockey being life or death. For the he first few years of watching, if the leafs lost the entire rest of the night I felt so sad and sometimes cried lol

Somewhat of a new fan to hockey, becoming a leaf fan in 2018-19 playoffs

Last time was probably game 7 vs Montreal. Having a 3-1 series lead vs a historic rival. Having to watch them clawback in both game 5 and 6 and still lose them…and then the game itself was a horror show.

Ever since then, I’ve been massively disappointed from losses, but nothing has ever hit like that game 7 loss

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Hockey can only bring out that level of positive emotion in me, not negative. I’ve never cried sad tears over a hockey game. I would definitely cry tears of joy if my team won the cup. Last time I teared up watching hockey was seeing Ovi lift the cup
Pretty sure you shed a tear when Kravtsov was hand brushing his flow on the bench after scoring his first NHL goal

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
I feel you on the hockey being life or death. For the he first few years of watching, if the leafs lost the entire rest of the night I felt so sad and sometimes cried lol

Somewhat of a new fan to hockey, becoming a leaf fan in 2018-19 playoffs

Last time was probably game 7 vs Montreal. Having a 3-1 series lead vs a historic rival. Having to watch them clawback in both game 5 and 6 and still lose them…and then the game itself was a horror show.

Ever since then, I’ve been massively disappointed from losses, but nothing has ever hit like that game 7 loss

You become numb to it eventually. But you guys will get one. I saw the Rangers break their curse and the Red Sox break their curse in 2004. It'll turn for you when you least expect it.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
When Brad May scored that backbreaking OT goal in Gm 4 of the 1993 playoffs to sweep the Bruins, some 12 year old boy in the hockey universe, Bedford Massachusetts to be exact, was on his sofa crying in frustration. That boy was me.

We had, I believe, the second most points in the NHL that year and I thought we were going to smack Buffalo around for a little bit before we advanced to the next round but that was not to be as it was Buffalo that completely outplayed us all four games and of all people it was Brad May to plunge the dagger in for the killer blow.

Hockey was like life and death for me back then. We had quite a bit of crippling losses back then but that was the last time I cried as an NHL fan.

Anybody else have a similar time of despair as kid? If you were a stoic child then major kudos to you.
Are you posting this because May Day was 31 years ago yesterday? I'm a fan of both teams. It was a confusing series for me :laugh:

I can recall being pissed off plenty of times. Disappointed plenty of times. Never cried. I've reached the age that I still get into it but I'm able to laugh off stupid plays and goals against.The players on the ice determine the outcome, we're all just spectators. Meh

Yeah that was an epic finals. I was gripped by that series and i obviously wasn't a fan of either team. Both teams put on a show.
I remember watching every game of that one, hugely entertaining series. One of the best ever

Last edited:
Reactions: NeelyWasAWarrior

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Are you posting this because May Day was 31 years ago yesterday? I'm a fan of both teams. It was a confusing series for me :laugh:

I can't recall being pissed off plenty of times. Disappointed plenty of times. Never cried. I've reached the age that I still get into it but I'm able to laugh off stupid plays and goals against.The players on the ice determine the outcome, we're all just spectators. Meh

I remember watching every game of that one, hugely entertaining series. One of the best ever

I reminisce once in a while about my fandom during that era. Just how much sports meant everything at that age. I'd day dream about the Bruins or Celtics on game day during school especially during the playoffs. I laugh about it now and I don't get emotionally involved like I was as a kid but that was one of a handful of times I got totally frustrated watching sports. Bruins had a great team that year.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1714025639208.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yeah you go way back before me. i'm glad I missed that. i'm also glad i missed the 86 Red Sox debacle. Both black eyes on Boston sports.
The Brad May goal never bothered me because they were already down 0-3 in the series

17 seconds in the 2013 SCF I felt like I was shot.

Game 7 in the 2019 SCF was painful.

But there is ONE Game that changed hockey history back in 1971 - It was only Game 2 but

Ken Dryden looked overmatched and if the B's hadn't let up he almost certainly would have just gone to law school. Bobby Orr says it was the worst game of his career.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
The Brad May goal never bothered me because they were already down 0-3 in the series

17 seconds in the 2013 SCF I felt like I was shot.

Game 7 in the 2019 SCF was painful.

But there is ONE Game that changed hockey history back in 1971 - It was only Game 2 but

Ken Dryden looked overmatched and if the B's hadn't let up he almost certainly would have just gone to law school. Bobby Orr says it was the worst game of his career.

Wow what a gut punch. I would have ripped the antenna off my t.v. I had no idea about that choke job. That's why I love this forum. Fans go way back.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
03 when the Ducks dropped game 7 against the Devils. I was like 11 and that cup run was the first time I really got emotionally invested in hockey and the loss was devastating.

Past that I teared up in 2014 when the Ducks lost to the Kings but not because of the result, but because it was Selanne's last game. He was my favorite player and hero growing up and a big part of why I'm so obsessed with the sport. Wasn't ready to say goodbye.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
03 when the Ducks dropped game 7 against the Devils. I was like 11 and that cup run was the first time I really got emotionally invested in hockey and the loss was devastating.

Past that I teared up in 2014 when the Ducks lost to the Kings but not because of the result, but because it was Selanne's last game. He was my favorite player and hero growing up and a big part of why I'm so obsessed with the sport. Wasn't ready to say goodbye.

That ducks team was very likeable. Was rooting for them cause of Kariya. Was following him since his college days at Maine. I remember reading the Boston Globe article comparing him to Wayne Gretzky! Then he got Selanne and it was truly a dynamic duo. Miss those guys.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That ducks team was very likeable. Was rooting for them cause of Kariya. Was following him since his college days at Maine. I remember reading the Boston Globe article comparing him to Wayne Gretzky! Then he got Selanne and it was truly a dynamic duo. Miss those guys.
The Kariya-Selanne duo was the biggest draw for me to the game of hockey. Where I was growing up in Southern California, the Lakers were like a religion and the Kobe-Shaq duo drove the craze. Kariya and Selanne felt like a Kobe-Shaq I could latch onto as I got into a new sport. When the Ducks traded Selanne I damn near gave up on the sport entirely out of anger, but that 03 run pulled me back in and made me a die hard.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah you go way back before me. i'm glad I missed that. i'm also glad i missed the 86 Red Sox debacle. Both black eyes on Boston sports.
The Buckner bungle was the most disappointing. You had one job, block the damn ball and we win. Nope.

86 was a crap year overall. We had the Challenger disaster in January, then the Pats got destroyed by the Bears in the Super Bowl, the Bruins got swept by Montreal, then in summer the one bright spot was the Celtics winning it all, and then Red Sox...we know the rest of that story.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
1993. LA had the perfect team and did the IR trick that year (even though the cap didn't exixt then).

We had multiple 40+ goal scorers, three great defense pairs, two reasonable goaltenders and a 100% fresh and rested Wayne Gretzky.

Reactions: HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad