When was the last time the Kings had home-ice advantage in the playoffs?

Captain Mittens*

We would have to go back to Gretz. I am going to guess 91-92. I don't think we had home ice in 93

Ron*

We would have to go back to Gretz. I am going to guess 91-92. I don't think we had home ice in 93

We did not.

According to hockey-reference.com, it was the 1991-92 season when the Kings had home ice advantage over Edmonton but still found a way to lose in the opening round.

Captain Mittens*

We did not.

According to hockey-reference.com, it was the 1991-92 season when the Kings had home ice advantage over Edmonton but still found a way to lose in the opening round.

**** yeah! I was actually right for once.

Everyone put this day on their calendars

The Dingo:1
Long/short term memory Loss: 495

From what I can find, I think it was 91...true? If so, that is just ridiculous....and hilarious.

91 was the Kings sole division championship. I thought that was their year too. Even with home ice....

Last edited by a moderator:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
From what I can find, I think it was 91...true? If so, that is just ridiculous....and hilarious.

??? Oh no you di-undt!

How dare you bring up home ice advantage in a playoff series! You will take your 5 - 8 PO spot and like it.

Asking for more is just crazy and, quite simply greedy! One division title in 45 years? yeah, that's good...

p.s. if the Kings can hang on for home ice this year at #4, can they get a banner for that?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Kings, only once

but hey...

Vancouver
San Jose
St. Louis
Washington

4 teams that have had tons of home ice in the playoffs. 3 of those teams are around the same age as the kings, and all 4 teams have something in common.

Toronto has also had a crapton of home ice the last 40+ years. Flyers - A dominating team with constant home ice over the last 30+ years. 36 years since their last cup and counting.

Home ice is good, but I don't put that much stock in it unless its the finals.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

I'll take 8th place every damn year if the team plays like they did last year.

Btw, since 92 we have 0 series with home ice adavntage, but we have 1 Stanley Cup ring and two finals appearances and that's all that matters. Hopefully we go two for two this year, and I hope we do it with four more upsets along the way again.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
You just can't help but look for something negative to complain about huh?

I'll take 8th place every damn year if the team plays like they did last year.

Btw, since 92 we have 0 series with home ice adavntage, but we have 1 Stanley Cup ring and two finals appearances and that's all that matters. Hopefully we go two for two this year, and I hope we do it with four more upsets along the way again. I love the hate it festers.

Hate? please. (no poster on any forum "hates" their team)

Remember quite recently when this team blasted through the SCF with a 16-4 record? So, is it too much to maybe "expect" a similar performance during the regular season, and you know, actually WIN the division? For the Cup champions, this shouldn't be much of a leap.

This team just accomplished something they haven't done once in 45 years.... but it seems that several here are fine with (yet another) average-to-slightly-above-average regular season. well, I'm not fine with it.

Why not strive (or even expect to compete) for the Presidents' Trophy? This team showed they can excel against all odds - why can't this be done in the regular season?

(I know, I know: que the when-was-the-last-time-a-pres-trophy-team-won-the-cup argument.. damnit! because I "expect" more wins and banners, I hate the Kings!! - true story)

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

Remember quite recently when this team blasted through the SCF with a 16-4 record? So, is it too much to maybe "expect" a similar performance during the regular season, and you know, actually WIN the division? For the Cup champions, this shouldn't be much of a leap.

This team just accomplished something they haven't done once in 45 years.... but it seems that several here are fine with (yet another) average-to-slightly-above-average regular season. well, I'm not fine with it.

Why not strive (or even expect to compete) for the Presidents' Trophy? This team showed they can excel against all odds - why can't this be done in the regular season?

(I know, I know: que the when-was-the-last-time-a-pres-trophy-team-won-the-cup argument.. damnit! because I "expect" more wins and banners, I hate the Kings!! - true story)

Regular season is overrated, just get in.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
YES! 4th PLACE CHAMPIONS

??? Oh no you di-undt!

How dare you bring up home ice advantage in a playoff series! You will take your 5 - 8 PO spot and like it.

Asking for more is just crazy and, quite simply greedy! One division title in 45 years? yeah, that's good...

p.s. if the Kings can hang on for home ice this year at #4, can they get a banner for that?

Can we have a banner just to have a banner?

Possible avatar ideas here...banners for mundane accomplishments.

Captain Mittens*

Here's another scary stat, if the Kings make the playoffs, this year it'll be the first time they made the playoffs fours years in a row since the 93 cup run.

The Kings did make the playoffs three years in a row during the Andy Murray era from 99-02

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I think it's a bit much to expect something similar to a 16-4 playoff run. The playoffs really are a race to 4 wins. The quicker you get them, the better. It's just going all out, every shift, every period, every game.

I doubt Chicago fans could've expected their record this season. Could we have expected the Kings to go 16-4 in the playoffs? Going up 3-0 in every series? 10-0 on the road before Game 5 of the finals?

Expect a division title? Sure. In a normal season, maybe they could catch the Ducks since they're now only 6 points up. But like the Kings in the playoffs last year, you catch a wave of momentum in a short regular season, and it's tough to keep up.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Kings, only once

but hey...

Vancouver
San Jose
St. Louis
Washington

4 teams that have had tons of home ice in the playoffs. 3 of those teams are around the same age as the kings, and all 4 teams have something in common.

Toronto has also had a crapton of home ice the last 40+ years. Flyers - A dominating team with constant home ice over the last 30+ years. 36 years since their last cup and counting.

Home ice is good, but I don't put that much stock in it unless its the finals.

Cherry-picking at its finest. You just named 4 teams that havent the Cup and said "Hey look how many times they had home ice and they still didnt win the Cup!!!". Here is some numbers to consider.

Since the current playoff format was introduced in the 1993-94:
-12 of the 18 Cup winners (67%) won their division
-16 of the 18 Cup winners (89%) finished 4th or higher in their conference

Still think home ice isnt that important?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Cherry-picking at its finest. You just named 4 teams that havent the Cup and said "Hey look how many times they had home ice and they still didnt win the Cup!!!". Here is some numbers to consider.

Since the current playoff format was introduced in the 1993-94:
-12 of the 18 Cup winners (67%) won their division
-16 of the 18 Cup winners (89%) finished 4th or higher in their conference

Still think home ice isnt that important?

All right, well since my numbers might not relate to present day, and go back to a time when there were great disparities in payroll and skill on teams, let's toss them out.

In today's league, since the lockout and introduction of the cap:

Teams with home ice have won playoff series 57% of the time. Not a very big difference.

8 division winners have made the cup finals vs. 6 non division winners. That's a difference of a single team. This is not significant, especially considering there are 6 division winners now.

7 cup finals have taken place. 4 of those were won by the team with home ice advantage, 3 of them were won by underdogs. Only 2 out of the last 14 cup finals teams were tops in their conference.

So, in the present state of hockey, I absolutely do not think winning the division or getting home ice is all that important.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
5 of 8 of the underdogs won in the first round, and it was damn close to 6 except for Toronto's epic meltdown/Bostons incredible comeback.

Since the Lockout, home ice teams have now won 55.75% of series played.

Since 2010?

Home ice: 27
Away team: 26

Pretty dang even.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

Did we go from not making the playoffs to winning the cup in the same year?

Of course not.

We finished in 8th last year and in 5th this year. Can't you see an upward trend? Third next year and presidents trophy with a first round exit the next year. WE WON THE REGULAR SEASON! WOOOHOOO!!! (kidding of course)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: