When was the last time Habs played a puck possession system?

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I ended up watching a recap of the Habs last cup win against the Kings and thought it was interesting how good that team was at keeping control of the puck and creating opportunities.

Some things that the 93 team did well and that we don't see anymore:

- Gain the offensive zone with speed and in control of the puck. Very little dumping. That was surprising to me because we remember the 90's for the clutch and grab and other bad things but watch how fluid the play was.

- Make an early pass on a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 to force the D to move. Rarely do we see that now. It drives me nuts to see a 2 on 1 and players waiting so long that they run out of space to make a pass and give the D time to dive and take the pass or shot away.

- The "Gretzky" move. Watch how guys like Damphousse (and even Brunet!) like to use the space behind the net to create chaos in front and pass to a forward at the last minute for a one timer. Last guy on our roster I remember doing it often was Koivu.

- Don't give the D a chance to pin you in the corner. That team was really good at passing the puck before taking a hit. By doing that, the D is afraid to fully commit to the check and taking himself out of the play.

Anyway, it was very refreshing to watch. I'll try to answer my own question by saying that the 2007-08 Carbo team was pretty good at passing but that was also the "peak Kovalev" era. Not sure if the whole team played that way, unlike the 93 team where scrubs like Dionne and DiPietro bought into that system.

Watch the video below and try not to bang your head on the wall when you realize that all key contributors (Leclair, Desjardins, Roy, Damphousse, etc) were traded not too long after that season. :cry:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Our defense is pretty set going forward. We really need to work on the forwards now. Vanek would've been nice for this season - we still need a couple of guys up front who can put the puck in the net. An elite forward would help this team so very much.

pine*

MARTIN.jpg

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The last great puck possession team the Habs had was in the 70's, therefore the Ken Dryden pose, he could have a nap during the game. The opposition rarely got control of the puck during the game, that was reserved for their practise time, when the puck dropped the Habs took over and the points were pretty much I the books already.:laugh::laugh::laugh: "Those were the days my friend we thought they would never end"

Bergevin may have something to say about that kind of Habs team being resurrected, actually I'm absolutely positive he will have built the Habs into a Championship Contender within 3yrs. Looking forward to the long hockey seasons once more, as it should be for Hab fans,IMHO.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

PricePkPatch*

Its silly, maybe i saw it wrong, but wasnt our last playoff run all Puck Possession and active forecheck in the O-Zone?

We completely bottled the Bolts and the Bruins in their own zone..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The whole idea of a "puck possession system"... can't different systems result in high puck possession numbers?

The real question that should be asked is, when was the last team we had a really good team that was sustainable? We've had a couple of fluke seasons but we haven't been a truly good team since the early 90s. Back in the 80s (even after the crazy powerhouse teams) you knew we were still a force to be reckoned with and we'd be in the mix until the end of the year. It's been a long time since we've really seen that.

Fortunately, I think we're finally going to start seeing it now. Subban, Max and Price all in their prime. That's a good trio to start with. There's some good supporting cast now (mostly young) so that's good too.

If the coach smartens up (or we replace him) we'll be a lot better this year. I really feel like we're getting close. We still need a couple of pieces up front but we're getting there.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
In Montréal it's always been more of a line concept than a team concept. Gomez was a terrific puck -posession player, Eller due to his pure athleticism, the ATTACK line too. But as a team? I'm not sure we're built that way,

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
In Montréal it's always been more of a line concept than a team concept. Gomez was a terrific puck -posession player, Eller due to his pure athleticism, the ATTACK line too. But as a team? I'm not sure we're built that way,

that's the thing, ya gotta have the right players, you can't ask a lot of guys to play a different style than their used too and expect success

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Way back when we had Lafleur and company, the last time we truly dominated the NHL. We didn't just possess it, we put it in the back of every net in the league.:handclap:

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
In the lockout shortened season two years ago and early this year the Habs were definitely a strong puck possession team.

They have since given that up.

Reason: Stupidity.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The Habs dumped 3 possession black holes in Parros, Murray and Boullion.

While Parros didn't play much last year, Murray/Boullion played way more than they should have, so that's already an improvement here.

But yeah, Therrien need to fix this. It's a pretty poor tactic to use our goaltending advantage (in hope) to make up for our weak puck possession.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Habs dumped 3 possession black holes in Parros, Murray and Boullion.

While Parros didn't play much last year, Murray/Boullion played way more than they should have, so that's already an improvement here.

But yeah, Therrien need to fix this. It's a pretty poor tactic to use our goaltending advantage (in hope) to make up for our weak puck possession.
Therrien was a big part of the problem last year. We really didn't play very well despite our final points in the standings.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
My post was more about inviting a discussion about my perceived lack of offensive strategies in the last two decades. That 93 video is a good example of what I'm talking about.

We've had several coaches since. Is it purely a lack of talent? Was Jacques Demers a genius? Why was he able to get guys like Lebeau, DiPietro, Dionne to look so creative?

If you watch some of Chuckie's videos from his Sarnia days, you will see that he loved to carry the puck. Now, with the Habs, he gets rid of it right away. Is it a lack of confidence? Quality of competition?

Or is it a pervasive organizational mentality that stifles offense and creativity?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad