When the casting process lets down a movie or tv series

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Confusingly worded question--even by my standards

Here is a longer form of the question that will explain what I mean

have you ever watched a movie or tv series where everything was good--but the actors were the weakest part of the production?

Like with The Godfather part III where you had FFC's daughter in a main role or how they replaced Robert Duval with George Hamilton

I am watching the Netflix show Another Life and it is an interesting concept--the problem is the acting. Katee Sackoff is doing her best--but most of the other cast seems to be rejects from either Riverdale or some other wannabe teen soap--most of them are in their early to mid 20's and just do not have the acting chops for the roles they are playing-writing is not great--but the acting is subpar--maybe they spent all the money on special affects and Sackoff--but most of the cast is pure eye candy and not much else--it is painful to watch

what tvshows or movies you have seen where the actors where the biggest problem in the movie and not the script or director or special affects

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Superman Returns
Kevin Spacey was awful as Lex Luthor, plus Kate Bosworth was poorly cast as the award-winning journalist, Lois Lane

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I always thought movies like Tin Cup, Field Of Dreams, JFK, Bull Durham were just spoiled by the presence of Kevin Costner in the lead role. I just can't stand his acting or hokey accents. I think any decent actor in those films and they're way better.

My best-Carey

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Oooooh, miscasting. A fun topic.

I'm not anti-Tom Hanks by any means, but he's woefully miscast in The Road to Perdition and The Ladykillers. No matter how hard he tries, he just can't pull off any degree of "bad."

I also think Ben Stiller is the absolute worst part of Tropic Thunder. Part of the reason why RDJ and Jack Black are funny in their roles is because their characters aren't too far from who they are. Exaggerated by several degrees. But it isn't hard to imagine RDJ being methody or Black in a movie about farts. Stiller, however, isn't remotely an action star and hams it up beyond belief. Now a more interesting movie would be one where Tom Cruise and Stiller switched parts ...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Maggie Gyllenhaal always seems to cause in a negative reaction in people that I have never really understood.

David Schwimmer in Band of Brothers. Everybody says "he was actually really good in it and doesn't detract from the experience", but I completely disagree.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Maggie Gyllenhaal always seems to cause in a negative reaction in people that I have never really understood.

David Schwimmer in Band of Brothers. Everybody says "he was actually really good in it and doesn't detract from the experience", but I completely disagree.

I thought he was the perfect antagonist to start the series with

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
I know they had no choice but replacing Richard Harris with Michael Gambon as Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies was absolutely terrible. The way he played the character compared to Harris really took me out of all the scenes he was in.

Reactions: Make and Beau Knows

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
It's not a miscasting issue, but I do think Sean Penn and Tim Robbins are both actively, aggressively bad in Mystic River. ... They both won Oscars. :)

"IS THAAAAAAT MYYYYYYY DAAAAWWWWWTURHHHH IN THERRRRRE?????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

Reactions: Amerika

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Oooooh, miscasting. A fun topic.

I'm not anti-Tom Hanks by any means, but he's woefully miscast in The Road to Perdition and The Ladykillers. No matter how hard he tries, he just can't pull off any degree of "bad."

I also think Ben Stiller is the absolute worst part of Tropic Thunder. Part of the reason why RDJ and Jack Black are funny in their roles is because their characters aren't too far from who they are. Exaggerated by several degrees. But it isn't hard to imagine RDJ being methody or Black in a movie about farts. Stiller, however, isn't remotely an action star and hams it up beyond belief. Now a more interesting movie would be one where Tom Cruise and Stiller switched parts ...

Good post. Agree about Hanks in Road to Perdition, though I remember him being decent in Ladykillers. And I don’t think either Stiller or Black or very funny in Tropic Thunder. A Cruise/Stiller swap would have been amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad