When our Whole Fourth Line Returns...

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Which 4th line? I'd want Moen - Eller - Prust ideally, not Weise. I'm pretty sure Bourque is going to be back to his old self soon enough so I'd be satisfied with Bournival - Brière - Gionta with Bourque filling in for Bournival if he happens to light up in he playoffs. (He did before)

Brière is killer in the playoffs you need him. Weise, White & Parros are just support personnel imho.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
What's going to be our Third line?

First line is Max-DD-Vanek

Second line has become Chucky-Plek-Gally

Our fourth will be Prust-Moen-Weis

And we have many players to fill just one line. Who should be on it?

The current line of Bork Briere Gio. Who else would it be?

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
Which 4th line? I'd want Moen - Eller - Prust ideally, not Weise. I'm pretty sure Bourque is going to be back to his old self soon enough so I'd be satisfied with Bournival - Brière - Gionta with Bourque filling in for Bournival if he happens to light up in he playoffs. (He did before)

Brière is killer in the playoffs you need him. Weise, White & Parros are just support personnel imho.

I think Weise has been one of our better fourth line forwards this season. He understands his role and his speed is really an advantage. Ideally, I think our fourth line should be Moen-Prust-Weise. Fourth line players need to understand their role-solid defence, tight checking, energy and the occasional goal. I don't know if Eller can accept a lesser role and fulfill it to its full capacity. Having said that, I would be surprised to see Moen and Prust back this season.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I think Weise has been one of our better fourth line forwards this season. He understands his role and his speed is really an advantage. Ideally, I think our fourth line should be Moen-Prust-Weise. Fourth line players need to understand their role-solid defence, tight checking, energy and the occasional goal. I don't know if Eller can accept a lesser role and fulfill it to its full capacity. Having said that, I would be surprised to see Moen and Prust back this season.

You do that however and you lose Eller's faceoff ability because he's not being moved on the third line any time soon. A lesser role would be in the press box with the way this line up has been playing. Weise is a good player and has been great on his fourth line, but the bottom line is he's just a role player.

In any case I don't think Prust is coming back so... It'll be Moen - Eller - Weise

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Haven't really been a fan of the Gally's with Plekanec so I wouldn't mind that line broken up, if we're playing Tampa I'd like to have a shutdown line that can play versus Stamkos whenever possible.. if Moen is healthy him with Pleky/Gio would be ideal.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Vanek
Moen - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Briere - Gallagher
Bournival - Eller - Prust

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

If we are strictly talking about the 4th line, Weise and White are more effective than Eller.

Eller and Bournival need to fight for 3rd line duties. And Weise and White have scored more goals than Eller since February and play the 4th line role better.

We DO NOT need to go back to the Martin way of just throwing spare parts on the 4th line since we have seen what an effective traditional 4th line can do for this team.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
You do that however and you lose Eller's faceoff ability because he's not being moved on the third line any time soon. A lesser role would be in the press box with the way this line up has been playing. Weise is a good player and has been great on his fourth line, but the bottom line is he's just a role player.

In any case I don't think Prust is coming back so... It'll be Moen - Eller - Weise

If everyone gets healthy there are going to be some very good players that are going to be left in the press box. I'm not convinced that Bourque has 'woken' up and both Gallys with Plekanec is a good offensive line, but we need a shutdown line in the playoffs. As much as Gionta harms Plek's offensive instincts, they are money on the defensive side of the game. Eller could potentially find himself on the third line if Bourque or Briere falter.

Arctic_Hab_Fan

May 28, 2007
if we get players back, why break Moen/Prust - White - Weise? They were just starting to click with one another, was a good line, especially with Prust in there.

Sorry, no Eller for me...no hockey sense.

hogtownhabsfan*

Pac-DD-Vanek
Gal-Plek-Gal
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Prust-Moen-Wiese
White-Briere

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Weaver
Tinordi-Boullion

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
The current line of Bork Briere Gio. Who else would it be?

Agreed. And if Bourque goes in to suck mode again bump Prust on to that line and sub in Weise. If Prust is still hurt maybe try Eller on the wing there and sub in White for fourth line C.

These are the scenarios I see.

Ideal:

Bourque-------Briere-----Gio
Prust-----------Eller-------Moen

Bourque sucks:

Prust---------Briere-------Gio
Moen---------Eller---------Weise

Prust hurt:

Bourque---------Briere-------Gio
Moen------------Eller---------Weise

Bourque sucks and Prust hurt:

Eller----------Briere----------Gio
Moen---------White----------Weise

Bergie really did a good job giving us some depth. Gotta give him some cred there. Same with our D. Lots of options.

edit: Forgot Bournival! Damn. Loads of options really. When healthy we have 2 full NHL caliber 4th lines. That will go a loooong way this time of year.

Last edited:

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
Our 4th Line is BEAST! I loved Weise-White-Moen the best one put together imo.

OnlytheCH

HockeyTimes
Jun 16, 2013
Canada
1st Line
Paccioretty - Desharnais - Vanek

2nd Line
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

3rd Line
Eller - Briere - Gionta

4th Line
Prust - Bournival - Weise

Moen
Bourque
White
Parros

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Its not really fair to put Bourque in the lineup and take Briere out. Briere has actually been similar to Galchenyuk or Eller in effectiveness this year with worse ice time, Bourque is pure uselessness.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Eller and Bournival have been our best 4th line duo since, well, they're not 4th liners. Put Prust with them and that's a really solid 4th line that can hit and score - and defend, of course. They'll be facing weak opposition, our opponent will not have a really hard time trying to stop 4 lines at once. Even if I liked Moen-Prust-Weise, they're not an offensive threat like Eller's line.

Having 4 lines that can score would be huge for us. I don't think we've ever seen this before.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm hoping for

Bourque - Brière - Gionta
Moen - Prust - Weise

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Murray/Bouillon/Tinordi - Weaver

Eller can take Weise/Bourque's spot or if an injury happens, or if size down the middle becomes a problem.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm hoping for

Bourque - Brière - Gionta
Moen - Prust - Weise

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Murray/Bouillon/Tinordi - Weaver

Eller can take Weise/Bourque's spot or if an injury happens, or if size down the middle becomes a problem.

These are perfect F/D combinations in my opinion. Both Eller and Bournival can fill in when injuries occur. They have no spots on the team when fully healthy as I see it.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Eller and Bournival have been our best 4th line duo since, well, they're not 4th liners. Put Prust with them and that's a really solid 4th line that can hit and score - and defend, of course. They'll be facing weak opposition, our opponent will not have a really hard time trying to stop 4 lines at once. Even if I liked Moen-Prust-Weise, they're not an offensive threat like Eller's line.

Having 4 lines that can score would be huge for us. I don't think we've ever seen this before.

Love what Bournival did earlier in the season. But he has hit a very cold and dry spell.

Bournival was right there when Weise was taken out by the Bruins punk. Bournival skated on by like nothing happened and then Moen stood up for Weise.

That's fine for Bournival to do that since he had the concussion. However, we do not need that or him on the 4th line.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Its not really fair to put Bourque in the lineup and take Briere out. Briere has actually been similar to Galchenyuk or Eller in effectiveness this year with worse ice time, Bourque is pure uselessness.

Yea Briere seems like the easy guy to take out but he has more hockey sense that most of these guys and has been producing lately. I would have trouble looking at him in the eyes and say to him "yea you're out but you know that Weise guy is in".

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Yea Briere seems like the easy guy to take out but he has more hockey sense that most of these guys and has been producing lately. I would have trouble looking at him in the eyes and say to him "yea you're out but you know that Weise guy is in".

To me it's all about the right fit and I believe that Eller/Bournival do not fit on the 4th line and Briere will bring more to the table on the third for the playoffs. If the latter falters there's always the option of inserting Eller back into the lineup, but, as I said above, I would not play him on the fourth line.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

A successful hockey team has to have role players.

On pure talent, Briere is better than Weise. But there is no way that Briere can bring what Weise has to offer.

We have a top 9 full of Briere type players. The 4th needs to have an identity and play that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad