When Orr's number was retired in 1979 the crowd would not stop cheering

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I often dream about what the Bruins organization would have been like the last few decades if Bobby Orr was part owner.

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO
Would someone please explain to me how the nhl has an award named after Wayne Gretzky, Ted Lindsey, Maurice Richard, and Mark Messier ? but none named after the greatest ever? The Bobby Orr award should be given to the best defenceman.... Period. i would even argue the Hart should be named the Bobby Orr award as no one was more valuable to his team.

This is complete joke which the NHL needs to fix.

I remember the night they retired the number.. i was 20 yrs old.. and had tears in my eyes. he was the reason i was a bruins fan... and still am to this day.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Would someone please explain to me how the nhl has an award named after Wayne Gretzky, Ted Lindsey, Maurice Richard, and Mark Messier ? but none named after the greatest ever? The Bobby Orr award should be given to the best defenceman.... Period. i would even argue the Hart should be named the Bobby Orr award as no one was more valuable to his team.

I remember the night they retired the number.. i was 20 yrs old.. and had tears in my eyes. he was the reason i was a bruins fan... and still am to this day.

Or maybe the Ted Lindsay Award (most outstanding player as voted by the players)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Easy. Because Bobby Orr has said no repeatedly.

Not a big deal, but the Lindsey Trophy is not an NHL award but an NHLPA award. He was instrumental in forming the players union and the union changed the name of the Pearson to Lindsey.

The Richard Trophy was donated and created by the Habs. I'm not sure what the Gretzky Trophy is (there are two in the Ontario Hockey League named after him and one after Orr) and agree the Messier Trophy was a reach.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Yup, Orr and Taz are the reason I have been in this abusive relationship for more than 4 decades. When I started playing I watched Orr and said there was no way I or anybody else could ever play like that, O'Reilly I could play like, or at least try to, seemed far more achievable than somebody who was miles ahead of every other player on the ice.

Saw all of Gretzky's. Lemieux's, Messiers' Crosby'(so far), Lindros' careers. All the ones who were suppose to be and were great, non will ever come close to Orr.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It is really sad to hear of ex stars being broke after their careers.

I know Bobby is an agent, and his website :

http://orrhockey.com/?post_type=player&status=nhl

shows he has some big names, so I hope Bobby is doing okay financially.

Bobby is doing fine these days.

What his agency will not do is handle clients money. He refers his players to advisers like Derek Sanderson who has done very well in that field.

gvkmedia

Let’s fight through this….
Mar 2, 2002
Kingsville
www.hollandbloorview.ca
This picture makes me gag - There have been a lot of bad people in hockey but Alan Eagleson was the worst.

l8ncanA.jpg

I stopped the video right there - not knowing the thread contents and just said out loud to myself - ***hole.

Then I scrolled down and saw you posted this Fenway. I am not alone.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I stopped the video right there - not knowing the thread contents and just said out loud to myself - ***hole.

Then I scrolled down and saw you posted this Fenway. I am not alone.

Eagleson did this interview with CBC in Montreal in the early 90's defending everything he had done.

Bobby Orr has been a public figure for 50 years in Boston and I can't recall a single negative press item about the man. Bobby trusted Eagleson and in turn other players trusted him because Bobby did. Eagleson betrayed Bobby back in 1972 when to get the approval of Dollar Bill Wirtz to allow NHL players to compete against Russia he asked Wirtz what he wanted and was told Bobby Orr and Eagleson agreed. :rant: Years later when Bobby was wiped out, Wirtz wrote a personal check to Orr for a million dollars.

Here is how Clark Booth reported that night back in 1979

https://youtu.be/4S_omydu2I8?t=969

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Here are snippets of local Boston coverage before the actual event. It includes a sitdown with Bobby by Channel 4's hockey expert - Jimmy Myers :laugh:

Last edited:

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Staff member
Aug 9, 2010
Lovely Lakes Of NH
I remember this and to this day there has never been a hockey player that could do what Bobby did. When I watched the Bruins teams of the 70's we kept looking for Bobby and he was easy to find as he always played with such drive. Bobby Orr is a great person and I always enjoy seeing him on the television/computer or in person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad