When NHL returns how to reward Stanley cup

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
With Coronavirus effecting all sports how to you expect the NHL to award this years Stanley cup when it resumes.

My opinion

Since the halt the most games a team has played is 71 games.

I would like them to play to 76 games to get back into game shape.

Playoff

Round 1 and 2 best of 5
Round 3 and 4 best of 7.

This this will work.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Unless they pay their employees, I am not interested...

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It depends when the season resumes really. Do you play regular season games still or do you start a shortened playoffs? Really depends on timing.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
It depends when the season resumes really. Do you play regular season games still or do you start a shortened playoffs? Really depends on timing.

It has been a little over 45 days since Wuhan went under a complete communist lock down and Wuhan itself is still likely weeks from being opened up. Italy has shown that with Western style lock down the period will even be longer because of non-compliance. I expect parts of North America to be locked down into August. The Eastern USA and Canada cities are going to have a huge challenge ahead of them.

My bet is the season gets cancelled in May some time.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It has been a little over 45 days since Wuhan went under a complete communist lock down and Wuhan itself is still likely weeks from being opened up. Italy has shown that with Western style lock down the period will even be longer because of non-compliance. I expect parts of North America to be locked down into August. The Eastern USA and Canada cities are going to have a huge challenge ahead of them.

My bet is the season gets cancelled in May some time.

We have not been impacted like Wuhan and Italy. Maybe we will but not right now. Hopefully we will not. Those are not good comparison.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
We have not been impacted like Wuhan and Italy. Maybe we will but not right now. Hopefully we will not. Those are not good comparison.

The Eastern seaboard in the US, Montreal and Toronto are going to dictate everything. COVID-19 has exploded in NJ with no clear links of how, small cities to the North of New York closed down. There is over 30M people within an hour of NYC. Until things are under control there the upcoming National Restrictions won't be lifted.

Wuhan is likely going to look like a best Case scenario in those parts. The communists could effectively lock things down. The American's won't be able to until things are really out of hand.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, season's over. They've got a roughly 45 day window to be able to carryout Friedmans idea and still finish the playoffs by the end of July. For everything to go back to normal in that time frame is just wildly optimistic.

At this point, I'm more interested in seeing how they conduct the draft lottery. I want a chance at Byfield.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm bored. So I re-imagined a playoffs where the season re-started on May 1 that gets things done prior to July 1. If the league is looking into contingency plans that push these dates to the end of July, theoretically the season may not be officially ended until June - this entire process could only take two months.

May 1 - training camp opens, players recalled.

Relegation Round: Best of 3 series starting May 8
Game 1: May 8 & 9
Game 2: May 10 & 11
Game 3*: May 12 & 13

For clarification, the relegation round would be based off points percentage. The teams ranked in the two wild card spots, and the two spots immediately below the wild card in each conference.
Relegation 1: #7 vs #10 seed
Relegation 2: #8 vs. #9 seed

Round 1: best of 3 series starting May 15
Game 1: May 15 & 16
Game 2: May 17 & 18
Game 3*: May 19 & 20

This would be 1 vs. relegation 2 and 2 vs. relegation 1, and the two divisional matchups.

Round 2: best of 5 series starting May 22
Game 1: May 22 & 23
Game 2: May 24 & 25
Game 3: May 26 & 27
Game 4*: May 28 & 29
Game 5*: May 29 & 30

Round 3: Best of 7 series starting June 1
Game 1: June 1
Game 2: June 2
Game 3: June 4
Game 4: June 5
Game 5*: June 7
Game 6*: June 9
Game 7*: June 11

Round 4: Best of 7 Series starting June 13
Game 1: June 13
Game 2: June 14
Game 3: June 16
Game 4: June 17
Game 5*: June 19
Game 6*: June 21
Game 7*: June 23

NHL Awards: June 26

NHL Draft: June 27

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Personally I just don't believe there will be a playoffs this year. Its going to be many weeks before its safe to be in a crowded arena (July? August?) and I just can't see NHL teams playing in front of empty seats.

I've accepted this and now look forward to the July Draft and UFA signings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad