Line Combos: When Lupul Returns

DirtyDangler 91

Aug 10, 2010
Gatineau, Quebec
Curious to see what Carlyle will do with his lines when Lupul returns.
I'd like to see something like this

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Komarov - Grabovski - Kulemin (2a/checking line)
vanRiemsdyk - Kadri - Frattin (2b scoring)
McClaren - McClement - Orr

Bye bye MacArthur?

leafspring*

Its possible i suppose.Brown might be shipped out with McLaren showing better than him.Steckel could move to with Bozak a elite face-off man now to. There is a need to change a couple things but,moving MacArthur has some value potential more so than other moves that could be made at present.

He doesn't have to be moved though.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I think that if Kessel and JVR continue to gel on the top line with Bozak, Carlyle will stick with and maybe have something like this:
JVR-Boz-Kess
Kule-Grab-Kom
Lup-Kad-Frat
Frazer-McClem-Orr

Question is who stays on the D? Gunnarson and Gardiner coming back soon.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Even having Lupul with Kadri and Frattin would make 3 fantastic lines. Use Grabo, Kule, Komorov as a shutdown line. I like JVR and Kessel together because JVR is more effective in front of the net to pot rebounds and finish feeds from Kessel and Bozak.

TML g u n n e R s*

just drop JVR to grabo's line..

they worked pretty good together

noBSleafsFAN

Jun 13, 2010
Toronto
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-Lupul
MacArthur-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov- McClement- Orr

I think that MacArthur will be gone by the deadline. Could get a decent return, plus I'm not certain management will resign him.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-Lupul
MacArthur-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov- McClement- Orr

I think that MacArthur will be gone by the deadline. Could get a decent return, plus I'm not certain management will resign him.

I am certain management wont resign him! There is literally no room for him...

Hockeylaw

Jan 16, 2013
If JVR and Kessel continue to produce:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri -Frattin
Komarov - Grabovski - Kulemin
Brown - McClement - Orr

Split the minutes evenly between the Kadri and Grabovski lines, or favour one over the other on a game-by-game basis.

If JVR and Kessel fail to develop any chemistry, swap Lupul and JVR.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
MacArthur needs to go.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - Grabovski - Kulemin
McLaren - McClement - Orr / Brown

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Well Lupul is still a few weeks away, and I doubt we can really bank on all the players we currently have to stay healthy for the next month. So by the time he gets back there may be a spot already open due to injuries.

But assuming all players do stay healthy, I think Mac may just be the odd man out. So I would probably just go with what the OP listed as his lines.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Mac is as good as gone at the deadline which is around the time when Lupul will return. This is of course assuming no other serious injuries occur.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I can't see RC moving him off one of the better 1 lines in last years NHL

I think if anything MacArthur may lose his job and get moved along with a Dman possibly for a 1st and a prospect

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel

Komarov - Grabovski- Kulemin (2A)

JVR - Kadri - Frattin (2B)

Orr - McClement - Brown/McLaren

everyone with the exception of Kulemin, Komarov and Frattin are Burke guys.....funny that

Noble Peasant

Feb 5, 2013
I honestly think Carlyle will keep the top-line intact due to their chemistry lately. JVR is on fire and the other two are playing great to. I think Lupul will play with Kadri and Frattin, which will be a good line.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
Kulemin-Grabovski-Komorov
McLaren-McClemment-Orr

Notice we have three solid scoring lines and a tough line with a great checking centre. None of this "top six bottom six" garbage. Three scoring lines, with the third being somewhat of a hybrid scoring-checking line. Our 4th line is one of the most effective in the league in my opinion.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
the lupul kessel tandem is pretty soft
unless we get getzlaf it may have to part its ways
i like jvr crashing the net on kessel's line

1 idea:

jvr ---- kessel
frattin kadri -----
komarov grabovsky kulemin
orr mclement brown/mclaren

phaneuf holzer
liles/gardiner kostka/gunnarsson
fraser franson

reimer
scrivens

lupul bozak mccarthur komisarek for #1 c and big #2 rw

Last edited:

Noble Peasant

Feb 5, 2013
I could see McArthur and one of our many defensemen (Gunnar?) being packaged together for something of higher quality than either of them. Trade depth for quality. But it's also very nice to have depth for the playoffs.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Lupul is hardly soft.. he had a 100+ hits last season and he goes to the dirty areas, heck even Kessel is seen more and more often near and around the net.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I like JVR with Kessel, he provides net presence and is cleaning up around the crease.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Frattin - Kadri - Lupul (2a)
Komarov - Grabovski - Kulemin (2b)

2A and 2b tandem, split time or game to game play who ever is playing better. The Kadri, Frattin and Lupul line would provide more offence and likely would play more when behind, the Grabo line would play more when ahead because of their defensive ability. Its beautiful having 3 quality 2nd lines.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Lupul is hardly soft.. he had a 100+ hits last season and he goes to the dirty areas, heck even Kessel is seen more and more often near and around the net.

he's not a power forward tho
lupul-kessel is a pretty soft tandem that did well in a run-and-gun style
playing more along the boards on a d-first team who knows

unassisted

Oct 7, 2007
Lupul's return is a ways away. How about the defence pairings when Gardiner and Gunnarsson return?

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Holzer
Liles - Fransson

Or if you want to keep Phaneuf on the left:

Phaneuf - Holzer
Liles - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson

Komisarek is the 7th.
We can use an extra roster spot for one of Fraser or Kostka too. But I believe the other would have to pass through waivers.
Do we keep Gardiner and Holzer on the Marlies instead so we don't lose anyone or try to swing a trade? 5th rounder for Fraser?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
If Komisarek isn't going to get into many games, I hope we use the compliance buyout on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad